Hoyt RX3

Itrev

FNG
I bought the Hoyt RX3 60-70lb and can’t seem to get the full 70lbs. I’m a 29 DL with 64lb DW and the limbs are maxed. Is there any way I can the DW up to 70lbs?

OR Archer

WKR
Yes. I’m betting your stock cables are stretched severely. You could twist them back to spec. I’d honestly ditch them and put a quality set of aftermarket strings on the bow and retune it. Those stock strings are never going to stop stretching.

OR Archer

WKR
Gas, Hogg wire, twisted x, abb, jbk

Any of those are 10x better than the stock strings. Ran Gas Ghost XVs on my RX3 with great results.

dnjat

FNG
I just switched my RX3 strings to Catfish Strings. Mike is a great guy and these new strings were perfect. The original strings had stretched to at a 1/4" more on the axle distance. Didn't even realize it until I went to change them. Over the past few months the peep kept rotating so that is why I decided to switch.

MattB

WKR
You can measure the specs (BH, ATA) to see where you are at, but as stated your cables likely crept which caused your bow to lose poundage.

nphunter

WKR
Look on Hoyts website for there tune charts to get the factory specs for that model. Measure ATA and BH according to those specs, if they are off by much that's most likely your issue. You will have to do the same thing with aftermarket strings once they are installed. Most likely the installer will take measurements of your bow and set it back up the same. If your cables stretched that much to cause your DW to be off that far they can easily be adjusted back by adding twists. IMO it is much more likely that it was set up wrong in the first place than for the strings to stretch that much.

Also are you 100% positive it's a 70lb bow, the 60lb bows max at right around 64lbs.

I agree that strings can stretch some but the factory Hoyt strings are pretty decent strings, I shot mine for a couple of years before replacing them with very little stretch or peep rotation. When I decided to replace them once I felt they were getting worn my ATA and brace were still very close to factory spec and my DW was still above the rating on the limbs while maxed out. I'm shooting a 77lb Carbon Spyder Turbo which should put more stress on the strings than a lighter draw weight.

The first thing to do is to check your ATA and BH against the tune charts, if they are in spec or very close then you have a different issue. If you aren't familiar with tuning a bow you can take it to a shop and have them adjust it back into spec and tune it for you, how did you figure out it was a 64lb draw, do you have a draw board or scale? Making string and cable adjustments are very easy with the use of a bow master cable bow press which you can pick up for $70ish dollars with Hoyt adapters. You can google the nuts & bolts of archery and download the PDF file, that is a great resource for getting started, between that document and Hoyt's tune charts you should have access to all the data you need to do it your self.

JBivens

FNG
Gas Strings. I am shooting the RX-3 70# at 27.5 at 74# and I still have at least a quarter to 1/2 turn on the screws left.

nphunter

WKR
Gas Strings. I am shooting the RX-3 70# at 27.5 at 74# and I still have at least a quarter to 1/2 turn on the screws left.

Your cables are out of adjustment as well then. If it's maxing out over 75lbs specs are definitely off. Neither of these issues has anything to do with the brand of strings or cables that are on either of your bows, only the length of the strings and cables which is easily adjustable. If your bows truly at 74lbs with a half turn left you should put your bow back to factory specs and start tuning from there.

Not saying there's anything wrong with GAS Strings, I'm sure they are awesome, just that the brand of string on anyone bow has nothing to do with the spec of the bow. The only thing good quality aftermarket strings do besides adding cool colors makes the bow stay in spec longer by a very small margin with today's string materials, you can get them into spec just as easily with worn-out old strings as you can with brand new ones.

OR Archer

WKR
Your cables are out of adjustment as well then. If it's maxing out over 75lbs specs are definitely off. Neither of these issues has anything to do with the brand of strings or cables that are on either of your bows, only the length of the strings and cables which is easily adjustable. If your bows truly at 74lbs with a half turn left you should put your bow back to factory specs and start tuning from there.

Not saying there's anything wrong with GAS Strings, I'm sure they are awesome, just that the brand of string on anyone bow has nothing to do with the spec of the bow. The only thing good quality aftermarket strings do besides adding cool colors makes the bow stay in spec longer by a very small margin with today's string materials, you can get them into spec just as easily with worn-out old strings as you can with brand new ones.

There’s absolutely zero reason for him to adjust his bow because it’s peaking a few pounds over. This isn’t uncommon with Hoyt’s. Majority of the time they will be 2-5# over.

nphunter

WKR
There’s absolutely zero reason for him to adjust his bow because it’s peaking a few pounds over. This isn’t uncommon with Hoyt’s. Majority of the time they will be 2-5# over.

My point was draw weight has nothing to do with the brand of strings on the bow. One guy has a bow that maxes 4lbs over without having the limbs all the way tightened, tighten the limbs all the way and it will be 5-6lbs over, another bow is 6 lbs under, I would bet both are out of spec, one will measure too short on the ATA the other too long if you go by the specs.

I realize some bows come from the factory maxing out over there listed draw weight, over 5lbs+ off is not typical, 2-4lbs is common. Just because they come from the factory a certain way doesn't mean they are in spec either, the first thing anyone tuning a bow should do is check the ATA and BH before they even start tuning. If the OP or JB would have done that I would bet both bows would be somewhere between 71-74lbs maxed out.

There is zero reasons for the OP to go waste money on new strings if his are in good condition. The RX3 came with good factory strings that are made from the same materials as most builders use, absolutely no reason to change them, most string makers use the exact same materials. My whole point on posting on this thread was to try to let him know that he has a tuning issue, not a sting issue. A long time ago bows came with crap strings on them that stretched bad and caused tuning issues and peep rotation, which is no longer the case with today's improved processes and materials.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Strings actually affect poundage and they’ll affect let off. And just because a string might be made of the same material doesn’t mean it’s made the same from each company which in turn affects the amount of stretch they will produce. Hoyt’s factory strings the last few years have been some of the worst for continual stretch and serving separation. Many of them would come out of the box not even making weight by a few pounds.

nphunter

WKR
OP if you don't get your answer on here call and talk to Tom Parkinson, he will give you an honest answer and there are very few that know more about bowstrings or tuning a bow. If you decide on custom strings Tom makes some of the best strings on the planet.