Hoyt RX4, my thoughts >>———->

Cody_W

WKR
It’s funny what different people feel shooting different bows. I felt the draw cycle on the new Rx-4 Ultra wasn’t as smooth as the 31.5 VXR, felt the shot was noticeable louder and not nearly as dead in the hand. I was able to get a much more consistent hold both vertically and horizontally on the VXR even without a stabilizer. I couldn’t justify the $500 difference even though I wanted to. They’re both stellar bows though.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
It’s funny what different people feel shooting different bows. I felt the draw cycle on the new Rx-4 Ultra wasn’t as smooth as the 31.5 VXR, felt the shot was noticeable louder and not nearly as dead in the hand. I was able to get a much more consistent hold both vertically and horizontally on the VXR even without a stabilizer. I couldn’t justify the $500 difference even though I wanted to. They’re both stellar bows though.

I would agree with you on the VXR being a little quieter. Draw force curve the VXR just carries peak weight longer than the RX4.

I would also agree on both being solid bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
On a side note and bow balance in relation to tune.

Initial tune settings were bare bow with out quiver with perfect results I’ve already posted in pics.

Now sometimes when you load a quiver bow balance changes, and tune settings as well, slightly.

This was not the case and haven’t had to change anything with a loaded 6 arrow Hoyt 2 piece quiver

d7d30ed43e223d15ca52fe423b8d2e04.jpg

In fact I feel it’s quieter on the shot with full quiver. I’ve been a one piece quiver guy for quite some time. This may change that, as I’m liking this setup well. Even with quiver loaded and just front stab it hits level on my sight easy as I come to full draw. This may differ archer to archer and how you hold a bow but for me, I’m not seeing a need for a side bar.

bat-cave

WKR
Just depends on your draw length and if you can hit all your reference points with a shorter ATA. I don’t really have any concerns and only a 28” draw and really accurate with a short ATA so the more compact platform works great for me.

Well, I was shooting with an aluminum and carbon today in 19* weather and I can say for certain there is a huge difference in comfort, it’s not even close.

I’m a little partial to the carbons myself.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm a 29.5 inch draw length, so will see hit feels. I wanted you to say save the $500 and go AL. :)

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Draw force curve on the RX4 Alpha #2 cam.

For a 345 + ish Calculated IBO speed bow in the #2 cam it’s a very efficient cam and doesn’t hold peak weight for very long with a nice gradual taper on the top end.

2d44240920abc725bd1f83621491bfed.jpg

8880d369b22d61b79fb85058273e72df.jpg

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Verifying shaft indexing, tune etc at 20 yards with bareshafts before fletching. Tail entry vertically and laterally are looking good.
Had to dance the bareshafts around a little to asses entry but not destroy shafts. Close call on a couple but all 10 survived.

b64d7693df403d0a6aff5580869c293f.jpg

bat-cave

WKR
Thanks for the feedback! I'm a 29.5 inch draw length, so will see hit feels. I wanted you to say save the $500 and go AL. :)

I shot the Alpha, Ultra and VXR today. I ordered the Ultra and stayed with Carbon. The VXR is a nice bow and the first Matthews that I've shot in a while that made me consider it. I just prefer the Hoyt draw cycle. Even at 73 lbs, it's just smooth as can be, whereas I feel like I had to more forcibly pull the VXR over the hump. The Alpha and the Ultra felt very similar. I shot all 3 through the chrony and they were within 3 fps of one another (VXR (fastest) Alpha, then the Ultra). I went with 80# limbs, so I expect it will end up a bit faster in the end, but with a draw cycle that I like better. I opted for the Ultra over the Alpha as I am guessing it will be a bit more stable for stretching things out a bit.

I took you advice and stayed with Carbon - Thanks!

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
I shot the Alpha, Ultra and VXR today. I ordered the Ultra and stayed with Carbon. The VXR is a nice bow and the first Matthews that I've shot in a while that made me consider it. I just prefer the Hoyt draw cycle. Even at 73 lbs, it's just smooth as can be, whereas I feel like I had to more forcibly pull the VXR over the hump. The Alpha and the Ultra felt very similar. I shot all 3 through the chrony and they were within 3 fps of one another (VXR (fastest) Alpha, then the Ultra). I went with 80# limbs, so I expect it will end up a bit faster in the end, but with a draw cycle that I like better. I opted for the Ultra over the Alpha as I am guessing it will be a bit more stable for stretching things out a bit.

I took you advice and stayed with Carbon - Thanks!

Congrats

I’m teetering back and forth between adding another carbon, either the Ultra or Turbo.

Shot them again today with no peep sight etc at 20 yards

Ultra #2 cam
447397b03702f4fa1adf9c4bcd39597d.jpg

Turbo #3 cam
a463e97dde4ef950091624c784cef387.jpg

I’m leaning towards the Turbo in a #2 cam

bat-cave

WKR
Based on your groups ... the bow is the weakest link .... in my case ... it’s the shooter! . I originally thought about the Turbo to try and get a few FPS back, but decided to resist chasing the FPS. The last time I went that route I bought and Xcursion 6 ... which I shot great for a
While and then it just amplified my mistakes. Good bow, just not very forgiving and I’m not good / consistent enough for a very aggressive bow ... and figured the Turbo would be to close. The 80# limbs are my compromise! Thanks again for the insight!

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Based on your groups ... the bow is the weakest link .... in my case ... it’s the shooter! . I originally thought about the Turbo to try and get a few FPS back, but decided to resist chasing the FPS. The last time I went that route I bought and Xcursion 6 ... which I shot great for a
While and then it just amplified my mistakes. Good bow, just not very forgiving and I’m not good / consistent enough for a very aggressive bow ... and figured the Turbo would be to close. The 80# limbs are my compromise! Thanks again for the insight!

Your Ultra will be one hell of a bow.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
A little sight tweaking and I think I’ll call it good.

20 yards
9b5ca88e412e07ab2f4ad001a3a6d3d2.jpg

60 yards
d09a1f77ecdeab97ca6c652e9461d4dd.jpg

100 yards
05681803544a28c0ea9f0a8b13a55257.jpg

TravisIN

WKR
A little sight tweaking and I think I’ll call it good.

20 yards
9b5ca88e412e07ab2f4ad001a3a6d3d2.jpg

60 yards
d09a1f77ecdeab97ca6c652e9461d4dd.jpg

100 yards
05681803544a28c0ea9f0a8b13a55257.jpg

Sorry to go off topic, is that just cardboard compressed with straps your using for a target?

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Shane, what do you use for nocking height on these? I don't see a Berger button to go off of on the carbons.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Shane, what do you use for nocking height on these? I don't see a Berger button to go off of on the carbons.

Just take a screw driver to locate it and then a silver sharpie to use as a reference. They have been tuning well running down the center within reason.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
Just take a screw driver to locate it and then a silver sharpie to use as a reference. They have been tuning well running down the center within reason.

Shane, for cam sync have you been making these changes to the control cable? Have you done anything with the yoked buss system?

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Shane, for cam sync have you been making these changes to the control cable? Have you done anything with the yoked buss system?

Generally speaking I don’t take twist out and would rather add so I do this accordingly, whether it’s adding to the CC or to the BC at the yoke legs in this case with their new cams.