Hoyt RX4 tuning questions

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
All,

A buddy has a Hoyt RX-4 with the ZTR cams at 29 inches. Shooting 250 spine black eagle rampages with a 50 grain insert, 125 grain tip, and 10 grain collar. We have been trying to tune it up and are having some issues. Seemingly no rest movement is altering the nock left tear we get through paper. Haven’t tried broadhead or bareshaft tuning due to no bow press. Obviously causing a lot of stress and we’ve been tinkering with this bow since March. We are both new to Hoyt’s as I shoot a bowtech and he used to. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried any yoke tuning?

I set centershot to 7/8" and then yoke tune. If you have a microtune rest it can help to fine tune as I have found a few that seem stuck between twists.

KBC

WKR
Can’t you move the grip on the RX-4s to tune left and right tears?

burlap

FNG
All,

A buddy has a Hoyt RX-4 with the ZTR cams at 29 inches. Shooting 250 spine black eagle rampages with a 50 grain insert, 125 grain tip, and 10 grain collar. We have been trying to tune it up and are having some issues. Seemingly no rest movement is altering the nock left tear we get through paper. Haven’t tried broadhead or bareshaft tuning due to no bow press. Obviously causing a lot of stress and we’ve been tinkering with this bow since March. We are both new to Hoyt’s as I shoot a bowtech and he used to. Thanks in advance!

Have both of you shot it and got the same hole? Could be grip torque from the shooter.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Only he has shot it I haven’t shot it just been in observation. Haven’t tried yoke tuning yet. Do we need a bow press for that?

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys looks like we’ll be giving yoke tuning a shot.

Zac

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys looks like we’ll be giving yoke tuning a shot.

Go to a shop and let them set center shot. Then shoot it through paper and allow them to press the bow and turn the yokes. The shop he bought the bow from should be happy to do this.

Marble

WKR
Go to a shop and let them set center shot. Then shoot it through paper and allow them to press the bow and turn the yokes. The shop he bought the bow from should be happy to do this.
Good advice there. Rest movement from what a few Hoyt guys have told me should only be like 16th of an inch side to side.

The shop should get it just right for you after the price you pay....

nphunter

WKR
Is your friend right handed? The RX4 is very grip sensitive.
A lot of times if moving the rest doesn’t fix the issue it is a form issue, have someone else shoot the bow and see if the issue continues. Centershot should be between 3/4 & 7/8 from the riser not the rubber.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everybody! He is right handed. I’ll try to shoot his bow through paper to see if I get a different tear. The shop trip is the best idea I think because they have experience with pressing the bow and we don’t even have a press yet. We were trying to avoid that because we are a few hours away from a pro shop.

Zac

WKR
Thanks everybody! He is right handed. I’ll try to shoot his bow through paper to see if I get a different tear. The shop trip is the best idea I think because they have experience with pressing the bow and we don’t even have a press yet. We were trying to avoid that because we are a few hours away from a pro shop.

The shop should have told him to come back after putting 100-200 arrows through that thing. You are due for a trip regardless.

Yooper

WKR
I never move the rest on my Hoyts. Set centershot to 13/16 and then yoke tune from there.
I do exactly the same as this. Set centershot and yoke tune from there. You'll be surprised how quick you can clean up a bad tear with yoke tuning. Simply, but as you already know, you're gonna need a press.

Hoot

WKR

a few hours away from a shop is a perfect reason for you and your buddy to go half’s on a press. Time and gas and it’s paid for in a trip, if not 2.

1KNIGHT

FNG
Curious to hear the outcome! I had a nasty right tear that through process of elimination was a grip issue.

ZDR

WKR
Yoke tuning all the way! I was shooting my RX4 ultra in our LAS this last week and ran a few arrows thru their paper test jig. I thought it looked great but the tech said “let me fix that.” A half twist in the upper yoke and I was shocked at the difference.