Hoyt Satori first impressions

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I received my new Hoyt Satori today. Been intrigued by the Satori for a long time, but hesitant after less than impressive experiences with older Gamemasters. I was unable to shoot a Satori prior to ordering and never really found a 100% information source on them, but I ordered a 17” riser with short 40lb limbs and the Hoyt 2 piece 4 arrow quiver. To say that I’m impressed so far is an understatement. It’s a fairly complex trad bow compared to the Bears I’ve been shooting. The amount of adjustment is incredible and somewhat intimidating at first. I thought I’d just play with it a little after work and then dig in this weekend for the full tune, but the quality and ease of adjustment made it very easy to get the bow bare shaft tuned and shooting beautifully in about 2 hours. Super impressive. A few thoughts:
- I have a 26.5” draw length. The Hoyt draw weights are rated based on the 19” riser. I gained 4 lbs with the 17” riser but lost 4 with the short draw length. The bow is right at 40lbs with my draw length when put on a scale.
- I shoot 3 fingers under and Hoyt advised I go to even tiller adjustment top-bottom. Took me a few minutes to figure that adjustment out, but it’s simple. Don’t be afraid to do some experimenting with tiller.
- My bow was very nock point sensitive and ended up liking a 3/4” high nock point. Arrow flight was all over at first and kicking around in ways I’d never seen before, but moving the nock high brought everything into sync with the bare shaft.
- The striker plate and shelf pad are probably the most finicky part of the set-up. As others have noted, the mustache shaped furry rug Hoyt includes for the shelf just plain sucks. I tried it because I‘m a factory direction follower, but it was horrible. Throw it away. I used some old thin felt on the shelf and it was perfect. I also started with all 3 spacers under the strike plate but found that 1 was perfect for the 28.5” 500 spine GT Trad arrows (180gr up front with 3, 5” feathers) I’m using. Bare shaft hits to 15 yards with straight, true arrow flight aren‘t a problem at all.
- There seems to be some confusion about which quivers will fit the 17” riser. No idea about after-market quivers, but the Hoyt factory 2 piece 4 arrow version fits beautifully. It’s solid, has tons of vertical adjustment and serves to dampen vibration. The riser mount bolts want to come loose after about 20 shots but a small blob of string wax on the threads cured that.
- The bow seems heavy at first compared to my old favorite Bear Kodiak Magnum and Grizzly, however that weight makes the Satori very stable and dead calm in the hand. The accuracy is simply amazing to me. My standard targets are red Solo cups pinned to a Block target with a golf tee. I want to hit the open top of the cup out to 20 yards and the cup profile at 25 yards. I can do it with the Bears about 80% of the time, but it takes real concentration and focus. The Satori in comparison settles down so quickly after hitting my anchor point that it almost feels as though you’re snap shooting.....it all happens smooth and fast with ease. The bow simply dumped arrow after arrow into the Solo cup.
- The bow handles field points and broadheads identically, at least my Magnus 2 blade Stingers shoot to the same POI as my field points. Totally interchangeable.
- Didn’t have time to mess with string silencers, but the bow seemed to have a quiet sweet spot at 8 1/8” brace height.
- Of course, I’ve only been shooting it for a day, but the Satori tuned so easily and is so accurate that I felt an immediate sense of confidence in it after my approx 75 arrows tonight. There’s some work to get all the adjustments right and this does take some patience, but the end result seems to be an incredibly accurate and easy to shoot bow. Can’t wait to hunt with it this Fall!

PHo

WKR
I got the same impressions as you. Switch to Satoris from my Bear Takedowns. As much as I love my takedowns, the range of adjustability of an ilf setup had me intrigued for a while now and I had been eyeing the Satori for the last year or so. Easy to tune and set up. Most importantly VERY CONSISTENT!!! Very happy I made the switch. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your bow as much as I have mine.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed PHo. This will be my hard use backcountry bow so I wanted something stable and tough. There’s a real sense of quality and durability with this bow.

Anvil69

WKR
I went into my local bow shop to look at one, 19” riser 45lb long limbs. I shoot a 40lb slick stick so wasn’t too sure. The guy said try it, no shelf felt or plunger and whatever arrows he had behind the counter, borrowed tab and 5 minutes later I was getting basketball sized groups at 20’! Now the groups weren’t where I was aiming but still grouping. Felt easier to pull than my 40lb bow and a lot more forgiving. Spent the week tuning, making arrows and it’s the most accurate, forgiving bow I own! Only problem I had was nock high that I couldn’t get out until I learned about tiller adjustments, now everything is flying great. Just sold my compound bow. The satori is now my hunting and 3D bow.

Kentucky

WKR
Black sheep here.. I didn’t like it, had a 19” for about a week..the grip was deal breaker for me.. although I had several different bows at the time and lost interest after it didn’t feel great right away. Prolly my fault.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it felt tight and cramped to me at first, but I quickly forgot about that as I saw the accuracy potential develop.

Compared to the Blacktail bow I got afterwards, the Satori (my first trad bow) is awkward and crazy heavy. Might be okay but for hunting, gimme a lightweight bow.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
waitingforrazorbacks.JPG

All I know is, no matter how good those metal handled bows shoot, a recurve like is in the second pic. that Where's Bruce? posted is what I want to carry in the mountains or hanging next to me in my tree stand...It was a big part of the reason I switched to traditional a long time ago.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Generally, I’d agree. I got into trad for the classic beauty and simplicity that’s lacking with a compound, but factors such as travel and durability have become factors in my bow selection. If I can drive or hunt close to home, I’m using my favorite Bear Grizzly or Kodak Mag, no doubt, but flying across the country for a backcountry hunt (or bringing a bow along on a work trip) or to Africa with a one piece or even wood takedown trad bow is a challenge. The Satori is the Glock of trad bows.....ugly, sterile, metallic, reliable and soulless to some degree, but it’s a flat out shooter. I’d never suggest it as a guy’s only trad bow, but it’s nice to have for worry-free travel, rainy and super rough conditions etc.

PHo

WKR
The Satori is the Glock of trad bows....

That’s a good analogy😁 Yeah I use to turn up my nose at metal risers because of all the bad reasons already stated. My first recurve as a Grizzly...quickly found out that 1-piece bows suck to travel with in any capacity. Then I went to a 3-piece takedown wood bow and loved it. I thought I was done...but as I got more experienced I could not deny the benefits of an ilf system for adjustability and fine tuning. As I said earlier I resisted for a long time but after taking the leap I’ve realized what I’ve missed out on all these years. Will it make you a better shooter? I don’t think so, but I do think that any bow that shoots more consistently will give the shooter more consistent results as well as tighter groups on a regular basis, no matter how “non-trad” or “soul-less” the bow is. There’s a reason you don’t see any wood risers at the olympics.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Still not exactly sure why the bow shoots so well, but I now have about 500 arrows through it and the consistent accuracy is incredibly confidence inspiring. At the end of the day, that’s all I want when a bull is in close.

For those guys that own a Sitori, thoughts on 17" rider vs 19"? Every shot both and what led to your decision? Thank you

PHo

WKR
For those guys that own a Sitori, thoughts on 17" rider vs 19"? Every shot both and what led to your decision? Thank you

I actually have both. The 19” has a larger sight window and is a little heavier, but other than those two factors they both feel and shoot the same.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider

I‘m short at 5’ 7” and simply wanted a compact bow. I’ve shot a couple animals kneeling in the past with my compounds and wanted to avoid any lower limb clearance issues with a trad bow.

I’ve got both 17” & 19” risers with 40# limbs and think they shoot very similar. Both have medium limbs and the 19” might feel a hair “softer” on the draw simply because it’s a little less deflection of the limbs.

OP
T

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the 45lb Velos limbs for my Satori. This thing just gets better all the time. Accuracy may be even better with the heavier limbs. Accuracy is excellent and it tuned in no time at all. 150gr Magnus Stingers +30grs of FACT weight makes for a quiet and accurate package.