Hoyt terrex mods

Just got my first bow ever. It is a Hoyt terrex really like the way it shoots but was wondering if there are any modifications that I should make that would make my life better/easier?

BriderLV

FNG
Congrats! Lots of things you can do; as a suggestion shoot it for a bit and see what works for you and then dive in.

Do you have a good sight/arrow rest/release/stab/arrows? Will it be just for hunting or maybe 3d/target?

OP
J
Thanks man and It came with a plastic sight housing with 5 pins, drop away arrow rest, I bought 6 black eagle arrows and a stinger x3 release. Not familiar with what a stab is and it will just be for hunting.

BriderLV

FNG
Got it. So it was the package that was ready to shoot. Honestly, I would just shoot it and learn more before spending more money. That is a good setup out of the box.

Will you be using fixed or mechanicals? That might be an area you could spend time on since getting fixed to hit where you want can take a bit.

If you can shoot in your yard, spending money on a good target is worth it as well and maybe 6 more arrows.

Stab = stabilizer and looks like its part of the package you got.

OP
J
that makes sense and I plan on using fixed. Do you have a recommendation on brand for those?
I can get about 50 yards in my yard so I’ll definitely take your advice on the target and some more arrows and you’re correct about the stabilizer being part of the package.

BriderLV

FNG
I'm using some older G5's but haven't hunt archery in a few years. Probably something better/newer out there and maybe a few threads here to research.

For targets, you will need something that can handle broadheads. I have been using the black hole ones since they are inexpensive and have held up well. I have looked at the high density foam ones but hard to find with the supply shortage it seems. For field tips I have a nice Bulldog target that will last forever.

Congrats for the purchase. I have the same bow, and I agree that buying a good target is the best option. I keep mine in the truck in case I have a moment to shoot some arrows during the day.
I also got a 12 inch stabilizer, which greatly improved my accuracy at long distance. (the one that comes with the bow is not great). I keep the 12" stab for hunting as well.
Enjoy!

Your sight and rest all look good. The thing you can tweak at this point would be your bow stabilization. I typically like a bow that rocks slightly forward when held in my hand. A lot of stabilizers are ridiculously expensive but there are some good deals on Ebay or simple ones like the Trophy Ridge Blitz or the Limb Saver LS Hunter Lite. The Limbsaver broadband dampeners work much better than the factory ones that they squeeze in your limbs as well.

Hey I have the same bow as you. I bought it Jan 2021 so I've had it for 1.5 years now. I'll give you a quick overview of how my bow evolved.

The first the I changed was the quiver. the screws the hold the quiver to the sight comes loose really easily, especially if you're out west and hiking around.

The 5 pin fixed sight isn't bad, once you get used to setting the pins and the housing its a decent sight especially if you're not going to shoot past 60 yards (assuming you set up the pins at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards). I eventually bought a new sight that slides so that I can reach out to farther distances . ( though with a 70 pound bow and 420 grain arrows you should be able to set the bottom pin at around 80 yards)

The stabilizer that comes on the bow does nothing to stabilize you're hold, Its more of a vibration dampener. This is fine and if you're not going to shoot long range (60+ yards) I wouldn't bother changing it. if anything you can take it off and you wont really notice a difference.

I would spend $20 dollars and buy a better hand sling with a metal clip instead of the plastic one that comes with the bow. The plastic clip prevents the stabilizer from ever fully locking in to the treads.

The bow is really great and a big bang for your buck. Depending on your skill you should be able to get pretty tight groups at 60 yards. See the videos and images on my insta @czdr_michael