Hoyt Ventum 30

Huntking

FNG
Just bought a Ventum30 2 weeks ago. Less than 500 shots through it and all of a sudden I’m starting to get ‘Clicking’ noises in the last 20% of the draw cycle. I’m shooting 425-440 grain arrows, 29.5 DL, with maxed out 70lb limbs. I took it to the pro-shop near me and dropped it off, they also confirmed the Clicking and basically said it was either the cams, mods, limb pockets, or the rest... lol, not sure what else it couldn’t be!

Extremely let down by Hoyt. I shot Mathews and had reliability issues with the VXR... they had to replace both cams cause the bearing were f***kd. Again, I baby my bows! Had a Bowtech for 9 years I killed about 100 animals with (lots of pigs).

WtF is going on with these new bows, are they just dishing out made in Chyna bullsh*t?

Can someone recommend a bow company that actually produces something that doesn’t fall apart in 2 weeks (Hoyt Ventum 30) or one deer season (Mathews VXR 31.5)

*my VXR 31.5 has been with Mathews for going on week2. Still no update on what they’re going to do to make fix my bow.
*I’ll post an update once my Ventum30 gets a diagnosis or sent back to Hoyt

couple pics for attention.

Attachments

• 050DC34A-75DF-4ACE-9659-4CB45E6BA32E.jpeg
    050DC34A-75DF-4ACE-9659-4CB45E6BA32E.jpeg
    586.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 5976481E-A9E6-4EA0-978B-1C7B5E33E551.jpeg
    5976481E-A9E6-4EA0-978B-1C7B5E33E551.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 42
  • BDD180B5-5F2E-4B16-843B-858344E3D65E.jpeg
    BDD180B5-5F2E-4B16-843B-858344E3D65E.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 39
  • AE5843F1-6F7B-4643-83FD-3640A510328B.jpeg
    AE5843F1-6F7B-4643-83FD-3640A510328B.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 6CBFCFEC-CFE7-46F7-8619-BD3740ADCF74.jpeg
    6CBFCFEC-CFE7-46F7-8619-BD3740ADCF74.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 39
Well your bearings likely got screwed because the axles were overtightened.

If it's mods on the hoyt it's from the screws not being tightened, they will also strip and make for a big problem. If it's the rest it's coming from a completely different area and it shouldn't be confused with the cams or the mods. The cams can also have just a little bit of play on the axle and at close to full draw walk over to the cable guard side of the axle and make a click.

Does it always make the clicking sound? Or can you let the bow down, draw it back again and it not do it?

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
Well your bearings likely got screwed because the axles were overtightened.

If it's mods on the hoyt it's from the screws not being tightened, they will also strip and make for a big problem. If it's the rest it's coming from a completely different area and it shouldn't be confused with the cams or the mods. The cams can also have just a little bit of play on the axle and at close to full draw walk over to the cable guard side of the axle and make a click.

Does it always make the clicking sound? Or can you let the bow down, draw it back again and it not do it?
It was smooth shooting til this afternoon. Started making a clicking noise 1 in every 4 shots, then 3, then 2.

Once it decides it wants to make the clicking sound it will keep keep making the sound until I’ve shot. Then it can be hit or miss if the next shot is going to do it. Once I realized it was in fact going down that road, I called my shop and took it to them without really testing the limits on it. I’m about 90% positive it’s coming from the bottom cam/limb pocket area.

BiggA

Lil-Rokslider
Sure its not the limb pockets squeaking? Hoyts are notorious for that

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
It’s not a squeak at all. It’s a very subtle Click Click, but loud enough to where you could hear it standing next to me. I can see lithium grease still working itself out the pockets/cams. I mean the bow is basically brand new. Sucks cause other than that, I only really had positive things to say about it. We’ll see what comes of it in the next week. Glad this isn’t during deer season. Lol I have a 1 year old Mathews at the dealer and a 2 week old Hoyt probably heading to the dealer.
Had a bowtech for 10 years til one of the limbs split. Bowtech replaced them, and they split again! Replaced them again... now it’s collecting dust cause I have about Zero trust in it.

anybody got any recommendations on a company with reliable products? Im pretty sure I’m done with Hoyt / Mathews / Blowtech.

406unltd

WKR
Pse, prime, xpedition, elite. Every company can have issues though as I’m sure you know.

I’ve had my VXR for about a year now and no issues so far with it… but I realize that with Mathews the cam bearings are a pretty common problem. I’ve heard(as another poster mentioned) that it can be caused by overtorquing the cam bolts - if that’s the case, it isn’t a Mathews problem, it’s a tech problem.

I also bought a Ventum 33 a couple months back. I have around 500-600 shots on it and save for the stock cables taking a dump on me I’ve had no other issues… knock on wood. Probably one of my favorite bows I’ve ever owned. I don’t see that one going anywhere anytime soon.

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
Both the VXR and the Ventum30 are borderline super bows..... when they’re not actively falling apart in my hands😂 haven’t killed anything with the Hoyt yet, but my VXR has got some notches. My old maxed out Bowtech Insanity CPX though, haha that sucker is triple digits deep!

Attachments

• 28F10080-DBDE-41D1-B299-140A99A79F57.jpeg
    28F10080-DBDE-41D1-B299-140A99A79F57.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 6910A4B3-693D-4C3C-909A-D1BDC170FDBF.jpeg
    6910A4B3-693D-4C3C-909A-D1BDC170FDBF.jpeg
    765.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 2529753F-1E02-4991-9C9D-88CA726D2469.jpeg
    2529753F-1E02-4991-9C9D-88CA726D2469.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 28
If you love the blowtech, why not get barnesdales for it?

Why was the Mathews sent back to the factory? The shop should have just been able to have new cams sent out, last set I know of took 3 weeks to come in.

If the Hoyt ends up being a mod problem I'd say someone is having fastener problems.

Unless it's a riser problem on a carbon bow, the bow shouldn't really be going back anywhere. That's the purpose of using local shops, they diagnose and get the parts from the manufacturer, reassemble and get the end user on the way.

Lots of good bows out there now, take your pick. I'm really not too certain the problems you have had except for limbs are problems from the manufacturers.

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
If you love the blowtech, why not get barnesdales for it?

Why was the Mathews sent back to the factory? The shop should have just been able to have new cams sent out, last set I know of took 3 weeks to come in.

If the Hoyt ends up being a mod problem I'd say someone is having fastener problems.

Unless it's a riser problem on a carbon bow, the bow shouldn't really be going back anywhere. That's the purpose of using local shops, they diagnose and get the parts from the manufacturer, reassemble and get the end user on the way.

Lots of good bows out there now, take your pick. I'm really not too certain the problems you have had except for limbs are problems from the manufacturers.

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
Yeah, I’m not sure why it had to go back to the factory, all I know is that it was making clicking noises out of the bottom cam/limb area, the Hoyt issue feels very similar? Unfortunately the next closest pro-shop is 2 hours away one way. Sorry for the sarcasm about Bowtech, just frustrated with these problems. I’m a long ways off from being a tech, just love archery hunting, unfortunately I’m kinda pinned in to use the same pro-shop. I’ll let you guys know if it’s the mod on the Hoyt

OR Archer

WKR
The problem you’re describing with the Hoyt sounds like a dry limb pocket. It may have lithium squishing out but that doesn’t necessarily mean all the contact points are lubed enough. It takes no more than 20 minutes to break it down and reapply more lube in the pocket. Not uncommon with Hoyts and their tight tolerance in the pockets.

Hoyts are notorious for that clicking in the rockers in the limb pockets. You can grease them, and it will usually go away. Mine does it. Usually after I press the bow and twist the bus strings messing with the weight or timing.

It looks like Dave isn't making limbs for the newer split limb bowtechs. When I read 9 year old I was thinking D340/350 bows.

Guess it's been longer.

Yeah, I’m not sure why it had to go back to the factory, all I know is that it was making clicking noises out of the bottom cam/limb area, the Hoyt issue feels very similar? Unfortunately the next closest pro-shop is 2 hours away one way. Sorry for the sarcasm about Bowtech, just frustrated with these problems. I’m a long ways off from being a tech, just love archery hunting, unfortunately I’m kinda pinned in to use the same pro-shop. I’ll let you guys know if it’s the mod on the Hoyt
I’m an hour away from a pro shop, and that was enough to push me to buy my own press.

I’m not trying to detract from the guys who are magic at this stuff, but in all honesty it really isn’t hard. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Both the VXR and the Ventum30 are borderline super bows..... when they’re not actively falling apart in my hands😂 haven’t killed anything with the Hoyt yet, but my VXR has got some notches. My old maxed out Bowtech Insanity CPX though, haha that sucker is triple digits deep!
You’re a dead ringer for the dude that won BRC like 3 times haha

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Man, my ventum 33 had some weird clicking noise. We took it apart and greased everything, triple checked the bolts and mods…kept clicking. I finally took my sight off and a tiny piece of grass fell out from between sight and riser. I cleaned both mounting surfaces and put a tiny bit of wax there-problem solved. If nothing else fixes it for ya, maybe check your sight mount. I guess the riser flex was causing the sound with that piece of grass pinched there. Crazy, but it’s been silent ever since

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
Update and a Question:
Got my Ventum30 back from the shop. Clicking noise was coming from one of the mods. I think they either failed to tighten it properly after getting them set to my draw length, or the mod they put on there had a manufacturing defect?
Bottom Line: the Ventum is back to shooting great again with Zero clicking or any other noise.

-I just bought an upgraded front dampener from Hi-Tek Archery to replace the BoJacks and some Limbsaver Splitlox dampeners to replace the Hoyt ones there. Got 80 lbs limbs on the way as well.

-currently shooting 28.75” 300 spined Gold Tip Black Label. Arrow weight is a collective 440grains. If I’m pulling 80lbs, is that arrow under spined? I’ve seen the spine charts though have varying degree of confidence in them. Anybody shooting 80lbs+ in here? What’s your arrow breakdown??