Hoyt Ventum 33 Review ***Updated 8/11/21***

My Ventum 33 cable servings have gotten loose and are separating at the end where they make the sharp turn around the cams to attach to the posts. I'm replacing with a set of ABB Platinums. Not impressed with the Hoyt strings this year! Otherwise, it's a great bow!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
C24511DB-F523-4E7A-8BD0-D0056D17522F.jpeg
Like this?

Mine did that too. The first set of factory strings actually had a small nick in the string as well. Like where they nicked it with a blade during the building process. I couldn’t see it until I’d shot it for a week or so.
The top one was fraying as well but not as obvious or as bad.

No big deal now though… I will say until I took it off and checked I was pretty concerned. I didn’t know if the angle of the cable was causing it, there was a burr in the cam or what. Luckily none of the above!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The top one was fraying as well but not as obvious or as bad.

No big deal now though… I will say until I took it off and checked I was pretty concerned. I didn’t know if the angle of the cable was causing it, there was a burr in the cam or what. Luckily none of the above!

Thanks for all the feedback Jeff. That’s why we start these threads as we write the reviews, helps to know others experiences.

Bad deal on the strings!!!! Curious to see how @Josh Boyd strings hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback Jeff. That’s why we start these threads as we write the reviews, helps to know others experiences.

Bad deal on the strings!!!! Curious to see how @Josh Boyd strings hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually spoke with Josh before I purchased the bow - at last I heard he was having great luck with the strings but was gonna change them anyway before season.

bsnedeker

WKR
Great review...basically mirrors my experience at 70 lbs, 29 inch draw. It shot a bullet hole through paper the first shot, bareshafts grouped out to 40 and broadheads are hitting the same POI out to 80 yards for me without touching ANYTHING on bow. It's a huge improvement in draw cycle and shot feel over my old Defiant Turbo, so much so that I can barely bring myself to shoot that thing anymore even though I know I should!

Other than the standard drive to get the latest, I think I will get several more years out of my Nitrum duo. It is always tempting and I am sure I would love a new bow, but if I will have to get strings anyway, might as well go with old faithful.

406unltd

WKR
Third set of strings since February with the same wear and separation issues on control cable serving every time. This set and the last ones were ABB. These in the pic were put on Sunday august 22. I’ve only shot fri, sat, this morning for about 100 shots total and this is what they look like already. This current set was on warranty from the last ABB.

Attachments

• 6E927429-5C08-4863-BCD2-3BF7A28B09D8.jpeg
    6E927429-5C08-4863-BCD2-3BF7A28B09D8.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Third set of strings since February with the same wear and separation issues on control cable serving every time. This set and the last ones were ABB. These in the pic were put on Sunday august 22. I’ve only shot fri, sat, this morning for about 100 shots total and this is what they look like already. This current set was on warranty from the last ABB.
I still have my factory string & cables on and they don't show any wear at all. I don't have any advice other than see your dealer and explain what is happening.

Yeah I’d involve the dealer and ultimately Hoyt. I had this issue with the stock strings but the gas strings I’ve had on since early July are showing no wear in this area(thankfully) and that’s at least 1k shots since then if not more. Three sets of strings since February with the same problems is absolutely a warranty issue in my eyes and that’s what I’d communicate to the dealer and Hoyt. Trade me for a brand new bow and let’s keep rolling. Sucks it’s so close to season though - hope you have a backup!

edit: if they won’t straight up trade the only thing I’d be willing to keep is the riser - warranty the limbs and cams as one of those is likely your issue.

406unltd

WKR
Yeah I’d involve the dealer and ultimately Hoyt. I had this issue with the stock strings but the gas strings I’ve had on since early July are showing no wear in this area(thankfully) and that’s at least 1k shots since then if not more. Three sets of strings since February with the same problems is absolutely a warranty issue in my eyes and that’s what I’d communicate to the dealer and Hoyt. Trade me for a brand new bow and let’s keep rolling. Sucks it’s so close to season though - hope you have a backup!

edit: if they won’t straight up trade the only thing I’d be willing to keep is the riser - warranty the limbs and cams as one of those is likely your issue.
This whole deal has actually got me focused on having a backup bow. I will have an extra when next years come out. I talked to the rep today and he wasn’t very helpful and seemed kinda irritated that I would dare have an issue with the bow. Not sure what’s gonna happen but season starts on the 4th and I’m tired of tuning and sighting in this bow haha. My shops been great though and backs their customers. We shall see if Hoyt will make good on a lemon.

406unltd

WKR
I still have my factory string & cables on and they don't show any wear at all. I don't have any advice other than see your dealer and explain what is happening.
Wasn’t looking for advice just showing what’s been going on with mine. Thanks though.

ncavi8tor

WKR
It's separated and not cut or frayed. I don't see a real problem with that honestly. Mine has done the same thing, but has stabilized and not changed in hundreds of shots. I finally received my set of ABBs that I ordered, but it's too close to the season to mess with changing them unless I see a significant failure. That may be a mistake, but my tune is holding perfectly!!

NC

Last edited:
This whole deal has actually got me focused on having a backup bow. I will have an extra when next years come out. I talked to the rep today and he wasn’t very helpful and seemed kinda irritated that I would dare have an issue with the bow. Not sure what’s gonna happen but season starts on the 4th and I’m tired of tuning and sighting in this bow haha. My shops been great though and backs their customers. We shall see if Hoyt will make good on a lemon.
I would recommend a backup for any serious archer. There’s too much to go funky on bows to not have one sitting on standby just in case!

While I’ve never had an issue, the second I get rid of the backup something will go down I’m sure

ncavi8tor

WKR
Wasn’t looking for advice just showing what’s been going on with mine. Thanks though.
I see you're trying to unload it on AT classifieds. If you think it has a manufacturing defect I would at least get Hoyt to fix it under warranty before I sold it.

NC

406unltd

WKR
I see you're trying to unload it on AT classifieds. If you think it has a manufacturing defect I would at least get Hoyt to fix it under warranty before I sold it.

NC

I’m going to assume you aren’t questioning my moral compass simply because I’m getting rid of the hoyt. Hard to know peoples intentions on a forum in text. The bow was reviewed by the rep after I spoke with him and he talked to the shop and they agreed with the remark you yourself made that the serving is a non issue. It was deemed serviceable and was then posted for sale/trade afterwards.