Hoyt ventum 33 tuning- help!?

Hey guys ... got new strings and cables on my ventum 33 and now I'm having troubles with broadhead flight. I can't seem to rest tune my broadheads into my field points and I'm super frustrated.

Here is my setup-
Ventum 33, 72# 31 inch dl. Running rip tko 250s , 29 inch carbon to carbon with 75 grain inserts. 3 fletch hard left helical max stealth and the factory nock.

Up and down impact is superb. Broadheads (tried 4 different flavors, grim reaper micro hades, slick trick, tooth of the arrow, ozcut 3 blade) hit to the right. I have tried moving rest 1/32 towards the field point incrementally, then away from the field point incrementally and nothing is working. Tried different releases, in case, tried nock tuning, and even tried dropping the draw weight to see if I'm underspined (which did bring it in slightly, but I can't imagine I'm underspined. My arrows come out to 470 grains and are running a little faster than my old axis 260 setup.
I have also tried 4 other fletching combinations including 3 and 4 fletch max stealth, blazers, max hunters, heat vanes and tac 2.75 vanes

Do I need to go get my cams shimmed? There isn't a good pro shop within a couple hours of me so I'm trying everything I can first.

Anybody have advice or experience?

Thanks guys.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Where's your centershot and what is the shim configuration?

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
E
Where's your centershot and what is the shim configuration?

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Tried between just under 3/4(12/16) to a little over a little over 7/8 (14/16) and couldn't move it. Before the. String and cable swap, 13/16 and broadheads were right on the money to 80. Although my bow was slower, but I didn't have any issues.

So, with your old strings, it seems to be fine. That’s not a shimming problem, that’s a string and cable problem. I’d recommend getting your old set back on and re setting it to 13/16 and see if it’s back to bullet holes.

If it’s back to perfect with broadheads, then you can take a sharpie and mark your cams where the control cables sit or where the limbs cross the cams. Then, when you put the new strings back on, make sure that all the marks match back up. With a dual cam system it shouldn’t be that difficult.

If that doesn’t work, then yea you’ll need to shim. Before you do that, make sure that your cams are perfectly timed and your shoot enough shots to get all the settling out of the strings

OP
E
So, with your old strings, it seems to be fine. That’s not a shimming problem, that’s a string and cable problem. I’d recommend getting your old set back on and re setting it to 13/16 and see if it’s back to bullet holes.

If it’s back to perfect with broadheads, then you can take a sharpie and mark your cams where the control cables sit or where the limbs cross the cams. Then, when you put the new strings back on, make sure that all the marks match back up. With a dual cam system it shouldn’t be that difficult.

If that doesn’t work, then yea you’ll need to shim. Before you do that, make sure that your cams are perfectly timed and your shoot enough shots to get all the settling out of the strings
That makes sense. I'm bringing it all the way 3 hours to the archery country where I have people I can trust so I can have them help me. I can't do anything without a bow press, so I figured they would be able to get me squared away

That makes sense. I'm bringing it all the way 3 hours to the archery country where I have people I can trust so I can have them help me. I can't do anything without a bow press, so I figured they would be able to get me squared away

Do you have a photo of a 20 yd target, with at least 3 field points and at least one fixed broadhead?

Wanna see how far away the BH is from the field point group.

OP
E
Do you have a photo of a 20 yd target, with at least 3 field points and at least one fixed broadhead?

Wanna see how far away the BH is from the field point group.
I can get one! Are you the nuts and bolts who put out the bow tuning guide many moons back?

OP
E
Yes. Wrote first edition in 2010. Added more material to the end of Chapter 5, in 2012.
No way!!!!
I have used your tuning guide most of my adult life! You are the freaking man! As a young kid tinkering on my hoyt vtec, I had amazing broadhead flight at ranges far past what I could shoot because you of. That is so awesome! You have helped a ton of people!