Hoyt Ventum 80lb limb cracked?

Huntking

FNG
Is this limb cracked? It’s on an 80lb Hoyt Ventum 30 that’s barely a week old with less than 300 shots on it. I shoot 560 grain arrows, love the bow, but this is the second set of limbs they’ve put on this bow. First started to split on the side. Any takes on what they think?A021FC3C-868D-4435-9EDE-F43C43675EFF.jpeg

OR Archer

WKR
I don’t think it’s a crack. Looks cosmetic. Normally a linear crack or splinter in that area wouldn’t hold up from the limb flexing. I can’t tell but it looks like there’s a similar mark on the other limb.
What kind of press is being used on this bow?

OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
Cotton ball didn’t catch anything though I can feel a little bit of an edge with my finger. I’m not sure on the type of press used, all the work is done at the town pro shop which is a fairly questionable place (had some pretty shoddy work done in the past) though they are a big dealer and sell a ton of bows. The mark on the left limb is cosmetic, though I’m not positive how it got there. Are 80lb limbs just far more prone to this happening, like I said previously, the first set of 80 lasted about 400 shots and part of the limb on the corner started flaking.

Attachments

• F6F20603-1526-4983-8785-632087F2F536.jpeg
    F6F20603-1526-4983-8785-632087F2F536.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 57
OP
Huntking

Huntking

FNG
Cause it’s the only option I have within 2 hours one way. With work and life it’s hard to get to a place 2 hours away on a workday. I know a couple dudes that work on bows, but don’t want to **** up a warranty by having a non-dealer work on the bow

I had an issue with my Hoyt spyder turbo a while bag that caused a sliver or two to come off the side of the limb. I was dealing with a shoddy bow shop then too. I broke up with the bow shop and got a new set of limbs from a new, very good shop. Not sure it is helpful but I recall reading that Hoyt limbs can have some cosmetic issues. hoyt sent me the new limbs without question, which makes me think it want the first time someone had the issue.

fwiw my new shop was an hour drive from the house (old shoddy shop was 5 minutes). It was kind of a pain in the ass but ultimately I got better service and my bow shot better. I needed up buying all my gear and my next bow from shop #2.

Looks cosmetic. If a cotton ball isn’t picking anything up then I would be it’s not an issue.
I’d guess your shop is using the “wrong” kind of press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO if you're that far away from a shop you should be investing into your own press and draw board. Yes, the expense sucks but there's nothing like knowing the work done is done 100% correctly.

If you're doing the work correctly(and trust me, it ain't hard no matter what anyone says) there's also no issue with warranty - if anything goes up the shop nor manufacturer will be able to tell anyway.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had nothing but trouble with 80lb limbs and my almost 33" draw with my PSE. Been through five sets now I think since 2018. I decided to just turn them down to around 70lbs and go with that. So far so good.

Reactions: Zac

Blandry

WKR
I hear so much about 80lb and limb issues.. I shoot a 50-60 @ 63 lbs hoyt rx4 turbo maxed out and only lose about 10fps from these 80# setups. Don't get it...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hear so much about 80lb and limb issues.. I shoot a 50-60 @ 63 lbs hoyt rx4 turbo maxed out and only lose about 10fps from these 80# setups. Don't get it...
This doesn't make any sense. You generally gain (or lose) 20fps for every 10lbs of draw weight added or subtracted. So shooting at 63lbs instead of 80 you'd be shooting ~34fps slower......all other variables remaining constant.

This doesn't make any sense. You generally gain (or lose) 20fps for every 10lbs of draw weight added or subtracted. So shooting at 63lbs instead of 80 you'd be shooting ~34fps slower......all other variables remaining constant.

Or if you just always shoot about 7.5 grains per pound you only loose about 4 fps.

That's what I took from it anyways.

Blandry

WKR

I have a carbon turbo so the cams make up for it.. somewhat.. you're right though, a bit more than 10fps. 565gr arrows @ ~250 fps. 450 gr arrows @ 275fps.

i don't have any arrows lighter than 450gr.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well if you're changing arrow weights around then ya......just about any numbers are possible to fit any given statement. With my 33" draw I can make a bunch of statements like that as well........but I prefer to keep all other variables constant within an equation when making comparisons.

I shoot the same arrows whether I'm shooting 70 or 80, so there's a sizeable speed gain (or loss) depending on which way I go.

Kimi

FNG
I'd like peoples opinion on my ventum 33 (60 pound) Just got it yesterday, the box was quite beat up, and upon opening it I've noticed a bunch of scratches and two gouges (one on a limb, one on the riser near the rest). Yet to shoot any arrows, wouldnt mind some opinions regarding the top left limb, and if it is safe to shoot. Cant really tell if the damage is cosmetic or something more serious.

top_left_limb.JPG

TheTone

WKR
I'd like peoples opinion on my ventum 33 (60 pound) Just got it yesterday, the box was quite beat up, and upon opening it I've noticed a bunch of scratches and two gouges (one on a limb, one on the riser near the rest). Yet to shoot any arrows, wouldnt mind some opinions regarding the top left limb, and if it is safe to shoot. Cant really tell if the damage is cosmetic or something more serious.

View attachment 341560
Purchased new? If so that thing would be going straight back to the shop.
I bought my first Hoyt in 2003 and my shop called me when it showed up to say they thought the camo dip looked poor and they had already called Hoyt for a replacement riser. Pretty awful for one to show up with chips in the limbs

Will_m

WKR
Because everyone has to shoot a 600 grain arrow now.

Gotta have horsepower to keep it out of the stickbow lane.
If you understood how it felt to suffer from little man, short draw syndrome you too would have 80’s.