Hoyt vs Mathews

Curious here, I have a Mathews Triax and have shot the VXR but to me they seem like a heavier and just lack "something" while shooting. I grew up running hoyt but haven't had the chance to shoot any of their new line of bows, bottom line, I'm really considering a RX1 or RX3 , would consider the 4 if price was right just not trying to hike the price up too much right off the bat. In your opinions which do you prefer and what are the biggest differences between the RX 1-4s . 90% hunting with maybe once a year 3D target shoot.

ZDR

WKR
Interesting question. I had a Hoyt RX-4 ultra as my main bow and brought a Mathews traverse as a back up. Liked the traverse so much better so I sold the hoyt and brought a second Mathews. It really comes down to your preferences, what shoots best for you.

Reactions: Zac
OP
dannysanch94
What do you like more out of the mathews line than the hoyts that made you buy two? As far as smooth goes when I worked at bow shop I think the high end PSE's were definitely smooth releasing the arrow but super steep cam drawing back, which turned me off of them. I like mathews too just looking for options and opinions.

ZDR

WKR
For whatever reason, the traverse just holds on target better for me. Pin float is way less and I think the draw cycle is better. Very smooth shooting bow. I do like the new PSE bows though and as mentioned the Ventum 33 shoots well. Mathews just works for me.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
You would likely kill plenty of animals with either brand as long as the bow is adjusted to fit you. Don't lose sight of all the hunters that successfully hunted without pulleys. You can shoot further with a faster, flatter trajectory than any hunter enjoyed prior to 1960 so going back 10,000 years or so. Be. The. Arrow.

Reactions: ZDR
OP
dannysanch94
Yeah I've been shooting bow pretty consistently for about 6 years, just curious about the new performance of mathews/hoyt. Personally I love old recurves for recreational target shooting
And me being 5'4 I prefer the 28-30ish ATA range, seems to fit me nice balance wise, use to shoot hoyt when I was young (10-13) doing archery clubs though which is why I was thinking of going back to try them again

Zac

WKR
This is an opinion based subject so I will give mine. I believe the Mathews binary cam configuration to be far superior to Hoyt's hybrid cam and a half system. The tuning and usability of the binary cam is so user friendly comared to the myriad of issues you can run into with the hybrid cam. However now that Hoyt has virtually the same cam system they are equal IMO. I think all binary cams really come down to user preferance. So if I was buying an older used bow I would go with a Mathews. However if your going to buy a 2020 model, the Ventum is a good option. I shoot a Ventum 33. It was a PITA to tune, however I shoot it very well. Due to your height anything in the 30 inch ATA should do just fine.

I’ve tuned a good bit of Hoyt and Mathews bows, and from a tunability standpoint Mathews wins out. I haven’t played much with the new hoyts and their binary cam, but I’m wary of any first year iteration.

The actual “shootability” of the bows can be extremely subjective, so that’s up to you. I do know that Mathews tends to have an overall smooth draw with a slight “hump” that drops into a nice valley with a solid back wall. Hoyts are notorious for a more spongey-feeling back wall.

One thing I pay a lot of attention to on a bow is the individual’s bow tech abilities. If you are pretty good with tuning and know the ins and outs, there isn’t a bow out there that you can’t “make it work”. However, from a “set it and forget it” type approach, your bow selections start to narrow. If you’re sending everything to a shop and not worried about it, you can disregard this following portion:

Mathews strings are terrible. I’ve never had a set that didn’t need 150-200 shots to “settle”, and every one of them needs new center serving right from the factory. I’ve had really good luck with Hoyt factory strings, only needing an average of 50-100 shots to settle in and a few instances of needing new center serving.

Mathews bows require full disassembly to replace strings, which some shops may charge extra for. I do my own work, so it’s not a huge issue, and I actually like the idea that I’m having to inspect axels and limb pockets each time I change strings. This can be a positive because it will keep you more up to date on greasing up and cleaning all the moving parts. Hoyt’s new cams require that you simply replace your typical 3 piece string set. No real disassembly required. This will be cheaper as well as easier.

Zac

WKR
I’ve tuned a good bit of Hoyt and Mathews bows, and from a tunability standpoint Mathews wins out. I haven’t played much with the new hoyts and their binary cam, but I’m wary of any first year iteration.

The actual “shootability” of the bows can be extremely subjective, so that’s up to you. I do know that Mathews tends to have an overall smooth draw with a slight “hump” that drops into a nice valley with a solid back wall. Hoyts are notorious for a more spongey-feeling back wall.

One thing I pay a lot of attention to on a bow is the individual’s bow tech abilities. If you are pretty good with tuning and know the ins and outs, there isn’t a bow out there that you can’t “make it work”. However, from a “set it and forget it” type approach, your bow selections start to narrow. If you’re sending everything to a shop and not worried about it, you can disregard this following portion:

Mathews strings are terrible. I’ve never had a set that didn’t need 150-200 shots to “settle”, and every one of them needs new center serving right from the factory. I’ve had really good luck with Hoyt factory strings, only needing an average of 50-100 shots to settle in and a few instances of needing new center serving.

Mathews bows require full disassembly to replace strings, which some shops may charge extra for. I do my own work, so it’s not a huge issue, and I actually like the idea that I’m having to inspect axels and limb pockets each time I change strings. This can be a positive because it will keep you more up to date on greasing up and cleaning all the moving parts. Hoyt’s new cams require that you simply replace your typical 3 piece string set. No real disassembly required. This will be cheaper as well as easier.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

JAC357

FNG
I loved my Halon 32 and VXR, never liked my V3, and now have a Ventum 30. The Ventum is the best bow I've ever shot, it just shoots without having to fight it at all

Pramo

WKR
I've had used only Hoyt and Mathews for 20 or so years with the exception of one Prime. Really both brands are great, I loved the old z5 cam Hoyt for easy tuning and the VXR 31.5 is my first Mathews since the Helium I kept. I just bought a Vx33 since I have had great luck with the switch weight platform for tuning and really love the stability at full draw.

Honestly buy the one feels and looks the best to you and both are so similar with the latest models. Draw feel is specific to the shooter/mod/weight combination and I think both can be tuned easily but I think the Mathews top hats are a little better to work with.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
old dead thread but..... I have an RX4 Ultra. Of the RX1-4 I wouldn't shoot an RX1 if someone gave it to me, they are so loud (friend I shoot TAC with owns one). I have had decent luck tuning my RX4 Ultra. I like that I can adjust wheel lean with my yoke if need be. That being said I agree 100% with the prior statements that binary cam systems in general are easier to tune. Maybe easier to tune is the wrong way to put it because the cam and a half is fairly easy to tune. It's more like once it's in tune it seems to stay in tune, and when you switch strings and cables it doesn't really require re-shimming assuming your bow is in spec. The Mathews top hat system is pretty straight forward assuming you have a press.

As far as shot experience, the RX4 is decent, albeit the riser is kind of short. I shot my best round of TAC ever with my RX4 and in all Its been very accurate for me. That being said I have also never spent as much time setting a bow up to be well balanced. My quiver is sucked in tight to the bow , the offset stab mount the bow comes with makes it balance well. The draw cycle is very easy in my opinion. Shooting 29" @ 70lb. The shot is louder than I like but it seems the Hoyt carbon bows are louder at least to my ear. Hand shock is neglible. And after all that..... I am considering getting a mthews V3X 33 haha

Last edited:

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
How is the stability (holding on target) on the hoyt rx7 ultras? I know Mathews is rock steady. My Mathews halon in my opinion is one of the best out there, steady, dead in hand, and smooth draw. Thinking about mixing it up though and can’t decide on whether to get the rx7 ultra or the 33x… My halon is really a half inch short and is needing new strings. I don’t know if I want to dump at least $200-250 into it. I went to a big box store to purchase it and they did not fit me very well, after shooting a half inch longer bow I realized I was a lot more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
It’s a personal preference thing for sure. I’ve had both and currently shoot a couple Mathews bows. I find them easier to work on. I had a ventum 33 that shot great and tuned easy but I had a couple of things about the bow I didn’t care for. Great bow, just not for me. My v3 31 mathews, and this new 33 has me shooting pretty well for being out of practice the last three months. This 33 is legit accurate, that’s about all I can say. For the first time in a while it looks like I won’t be buying a new one next year 😂. My wife will appreciate that.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Go shoot every top end bow you can get your hands on, don't pay attention to the name and pick which one fits YOU the best. They are all good.

I shot both the Hoyt’s and ended up with the Ventum pro 30, took it home and realized it wasn’t much of an upgrade to my Mathews, but the Mathews was much more stable to me. Sold the Ventum. I didn’t realize the steadiness until I got home and compared it. I liked the rx7 ultra better but they didn’t have any instock and I live about 1.5 hour away. Jumped the gun I know… plus the Ventum I was originally shooting felt much better than the one I left with. I think the bow shop owner told me the wrong poundage on the one I originally shot and compared the rx7 to. It was complicated I’ll just leave it at that for time sake. I didn’t get to shoot the V3x 33, very rushed trip lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk