Hoyt ZT Cam - Harsh Draw Cycle at Longest Length Settings

Hi all,

I've previously heard that the draw length setting for a particular cam can make a difference on how smooth or harsh the draw cycle feels.

I've recently been playing with the draw length on my Hoyt Hyperforce and the difference between the bow set at 29" vs. 29.5" or 30" on the #3 ZT cam is drastic - adding a massive hump at the back end of the draw (feels like an extra 10-15 lbs) and making it really hard to pull into the valley. Its so dramatic that I'm wondering if something is wrong with the bow, or if there can really be this much variation in the draw cycle by switching to a different position on the cam. As soon as I moved things back to 29" it pulls like its old self.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do not think it's a timing issue based on pics of the draw and at full draw, but I also don't have a draw board handy near term to confirm.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
T
This is just moving the mod setting and draw stops to the different lengths available on the cam. No twisting of strings/cables.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Has anyone else experienced this?

Having a 32 1/2" draw, I've experienced that with a few bows. Most the times in the past it has seemed that bow manufacturers have designed a bow first........and then they make adjustments to the cams or mods to get that bow to longer draw lengths as an afterthought. So you'll see guys praising the draw cycles and everything about the bow at shorter draws, but at their max settings they become an entirely different animal. Most that I've seen like that have a much harsher draw, little to no valley, and very little let-off.

I've learned that I have to actually shoot bows at their max draw length before buying just because of this. Although, being left-handed with my draw length makes that difficult at times.

TheTone

WKR
At what length do you think draw length is actually correct? I’ve always had issues/struggles with drawing a bow when the draw length is too long for me

OP
T
I believe the 30" setting is the proper length for me. I'm having to come forward and down with my head to get nose and corner of my mouth to the string at the lower settings. I'm shooting a Nock2It and at the lower settings the v between my index and middle fingers is about halfway along my jaw line. Putting it at 30" gets the release a little further back and my rear arm more in line with the arrow shaft.

I helped a buddy setup his Hoyt Helix Ultra, pulling 70# at a 32.1" draw and had no issues pulling that bow (slightly different cam system though). So I kind of doubt being too long by 0.5" or 1" on my bow at 60# would result in such a dramatic shift absent something else going on, but its a good thought. The bow at these longer settings feels like I'm going over a boulder to get into the valley and then feels like its going to jump out of my hands once there even though I know I'm pulling against the back wall.

All that said, I shot this bow all year last year at 28" setting doing the same head forward and down gig, so if needed, I can probably just make do with the 29" setting, removing the grip to get a little deeper and maybe a minor tweak or two to string and cable twist. But a bit frustrating to not be able to draw to length with the same comfortable draw cycle of the cam at the lower draw settings.

nphunter

WKR
Changing the draw shouldn’t change the pulling weight. Check it with a scale, your weight is stacking in a different spot so your using different muscles than when it stacks closer to the riser.

Short ATA bow require a longer draw to get the string angle back further. You could also add a bomar nose button to the string so you don’t have to tip down as far down. That’s what I have done with my RX4 and still am shooting 3/4” longer than with my last bow. 33” ATA vs 29.5”.

OP
T
In case anyone cares, what I found here is that ultimately the 32" ATA of the Hyperforce is probably just a little too steep a string angle for my face shape. At the longer draw settings (had it 3rd to longest draw setting on the cam - which is drawing 29.25") I'm getting some forearm burn suggesting to me I'm too long in the draw, but was otherwise definitely more comfortable in terms of getting my nose to string as an anchor point. I shortened it up 0.5" (one notch on cams) and forearm slap is gone and hold feels a bit more comfortable/natural, but nose is definitely tougher to get to the string and head is not as upright.

I have a bowmar nose button on the way - that is an excellent idea nphunter, thanks - hopefully allowing me to stay a little more up right.

All in all, a good learning experience that my draw length is truly around that 28.75" mark, and longer than that is going to cause me issues with strings rubbing clothing, but that next bow probably needs to be a bit longer axle to axle to really fit my draw length and face shape.

Cory