Hpg Aston house B.C. thoughts

j_mcrane

FNG
I’m still hunting for the perfect front country day pack. Has anyone here used a hill people gear Aston house B.C.? I’m in Alberta Canada so prairies and mountains with layers and optics. Size seems right.

Anyone packed out weight with it? I figured it can be done between the bag and the panel.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a black one when they were on sale a few months back with the intention of using it as a travel pack (hence the black color). Because of COVID19 I haven't used it much other than one road trip with the family and it mostly just held clothing for a weekend.

Recently, however, I've been looking to re-purpose it to a PRS bag. It has approximately 25lbs worth of stuff in it (rear rifle bag minifortune cookie, pouches with range finder and kestrel, few boxes of ammo, tool kits, tripod/head, rain jacket, etc). I don't have a lot of experience with HPG packs, only their chest kits. I have to say the harness on it is one of the most comfortable I've ever used; way more comfortable than anything from Kifaru or MR. For reference, I have a shapecharge, 26" duplex, MR Nice with crewcab, Urban Zippy, and a ton of various other bags from mountain hardware to kelty and osprey. As far as cons go, I don't like that the mesh pocket on the inside of the front flap has no closure (velcro or otherwise) and I find that the hypalon panel on the front makes the pack kind of "strappy". There's straps and attachment points everywhere!

I hope to get more experience with it in the next few months, so I'll try and update this post in the future.

wildcat33

WKR
I had one (briefly). It’s a nicely made pack, but I could not get over the way the hip belt attached. The pack rubbed me raw. I’ll think the hpg stuff you either love it or hate it, but try first.

I picked one up a couple months ago. It'll definitely handle weight (I've been using it with 40 in the bag), though you'll want to drop extra on a belt. The belt is just held in place with a hypalon flap (strange design choice), though, it does help a lot with heavier loads. Also the delta strap attachments are about half way up on the bag (takes getting used to if you primarily use Kifaru). Finally if you want to put something bulky under the panel, you might need to change out the straps. There are two issues. First, the panel straps seem to not have as much travel as a lot of the Kifaru stuff, and second, they're webbing is unusually stiff, and slightly wider (maybe a half millimeter) than the hardware they use, so tensioning is a bit of a fight, and you may not be able to fit a bag behind the panel with the bag fully loaded.

Simon85

FNG
I tried the HPG UMLINDI PACK V2 for a day trip and it was perfect if u don't need much equipment it fits 30l I think. And the hill people gear harness is the best I ever where at a pack. But for me it's a little to small because it's really just for a day trip, so my choice would be Aston House BC, with the belt attached course of the 48L. And by the way i am searching for a used AHBC, so PM to me if some one WTS. Sorry for my English I am from Germany.

Last edited:

wilbur007

FNG
I use one extensively for work - hauling odd shaped scientific equipment into the field. Love the capture flap for odd shaped things and the harness makes weight just disappear on your back. I've used it as a travel pack (carry on bag) for a two week trip. I took the capture flap off for that to make it look a little less "tactical". It was just about perfect.

I know some people find it a little large for a day pack but it compresses down nicely.