HPG or Kifaru

drtony

WKR
What are your experiences between Kifaru and HPG as far as build quality goes in general? Any major differences in materials used or ruggedness between these companies?

OP
D

drtony

WKR
I currently have a shape charge and a 44 mag. I really like how comfortable the frame is for the 44 mag, but I don’t always like how big and bulky it is for day hikes and tree stand hunts.
I am not crazy about the shape charge, but feel brand loyalty to kifaru 😆

I was leaning towards HPG as a nice in between with no external frame. I was thinking Umlindi for day hikes and early tree stand. Or Maybe Ute for the ability to pack more layers during late season white tails

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
i have a few Kifaru as well like drtony, and never really liked the shape charge for archery deer season in PA. I tried a Umlindi and limited a little of what i brought in and it seems to work a little better. was going to try a doorgunner if i ever find one

OP
D

drtony

WKR
i have a few Kifaru as well like drtony, and never really liked the shape charge for archery deer season in PA. I tried a Umlindi and limited a little of what i brought in and it seems to work a little better. was going to try a doorgunner if i ever find one
Door gunner looks like a cool pack— 16 Liters just seems small to me.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
i guess i like the way it carrys, i know crappy answer. i guess if carry's different than what i am used to with normal (to me) shoulder straps, but it works. it does feel small for 30. i'll take pictures when i get home tomorrow. looking for anything specific in the bag?

OP
D

drtony

WKR
Nothing specific I guess, when I look at the shoulder harness it is like nothing I'm familiar with. I am a little ocd when it comes to gear. Mostly I want to know if it will handle anything I throw at it and keep on going?

Do you where a prairie belt when using the umlindi? How does that feel on a smaller pack?

OP
D

drtony

WKR
I have heard really great things about HPG and have wanted to try them for a few years now. Kifaru has been using a lot of Xpac fabric in all their bags recently and I do not know enough about that stuff to spend the money on a new pack. I don't see how it can be more durable than cordura.

The Kutthroat and the gnargali are intriguing packs to me-- and I would buy one of those if they were in cordura only.

Olson

Lil-Rokslider
I would really consider looking at the HPG Decker system. It is an external frame setup but functions just like their internal. It is a super versatile system. With the frame and a belt, you can interchange the large, medium, and small pack bags as needed as well as changing out their pockets for more storage/organization. The bonus is the load shelf for meat or even more gear if you need. I'll add some pics....

This is the large pack bag with a pals pocket
20210308_192009.jpg

Medium pack bag with the Connor pocket (my preferred setup)
20210918_115453.jpg
20210918_115521.jpg

And the small silnylon pack bag with the yoke that comes with the Decker Frame
20210312_182727.jpg

Hope this helps with what you are looking for or at least give you some more options to consider.

OP
D

drtony

WKR
That’s a nice looking pack too! I don’t really care for that strap that runs vertical. But there is a lot of versatility having 3 different sized packs that attach to that frame

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tarahumara, a tara pocket on an umalindi, and a snubby kit bag. Can't say anything bad about the HPG build quality.

I have also looked hard at selling off my Eberlestock Gunslinger and picking up a frame pack. My only Kifaru kit is some organizers, but a friend swears by his (I think) Shape Charge. I think I'll probably end up with a Decker just because of the aesthetics. I've never heard anyone describe Kifaru as anything but "bombproof" though.

I have lots of HPG (Decker w/medium pack bag) and Kifaru (Stryker XL and 44mag) stuff and the one complaint I have with HPG is that they don't have a large capacity bag with zipper access. Nearly all of their larger packs are bucket style which makes easy access a bit harder.

However, I give the harness system of HPG a slight advantage over the kifaru frame system in terms of comfort carrying heavy loads.

Kentucky

WKR
I have a HPG UTe and Umlindi… as said above, a bigger opening or center zip of some sort would be very handy… extremely comfortable..hard to go wrong with either.. you find things you like/ dislike with each…

I just had 50# of minerals trapped to my umlindi and it carried great.. 75# would be way to much..
My Ute can handle more than one man can pack anyway… same as kifaru

I will never got without an umlindi … best day pack made

OP
D

drtony

WKR
I have a HPG UTe and Umlindi… as said above, a bigger opening or center zip of some sort would be very handy… extremely comfortable..hard to go wrong with either.. you find things you like/ dislike with each…

I just had 50# of minerals trapped to my umlindi and it carried great.. 75# would be way to much..
My Ute can handle more than one man can pack anyway… same as kifaru

I will never got without an umlindi … best day pack made
I have heard great things about the umlindi. I also heard the co-owner say the umlindi. Unless he could only have one... then the Ute.

Kentucky

WKR
I have heard great things about the umlindi. I also heard the co-owner say the umlindi. Unless he could only have one... then the Ute.
I bought the Ute first hoping for a one pack situation… buts it too big hunting day hunting whitetails in KY… don’t get me wrong, I could do it and be happy… but I don’t have to, so…

No experience with the HPG but am excited about the kifaru light frame with Stryker xl pack as a day hunting pack that can expand when needed with the camp bag and still have top notch meat hauling capability.