HPG Shepherd Stove

renagde

WKR
Whatever became of this stove? It seems like it was a pretty well received design but the production fell flat on it's face and I haven't really heard much of it in the last 5 years. Reason I'm asking is that I am designing a stove that is similar to their design with a few minor design improvements. I'm considering bringing it to market if I can hit my weight and durability goals with the prototype. Obviously I don't want to copy someones design if they're still working on producing it but it's been 5 years and I have yet to see one in person.

I did try to contact HPG but all I get is automated replies which is pretty obnoxious. Anyone have an inside scoop?

Last edited:

Sell33

Lil-Rokslider
The HPG crew is all active on the “Hill People Gear Owners Group” on Facebook. You will surely get a pretty quick reply from them if you inquire in that group. Good luck.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I don't do Facebook, but I assume if they don't want to communicate via email they won't message me on Facebook either.
Not necessarily. Scot and Evan are actually pretty active on the FB group. I don't know that they do a whole lot of customer service emails for the shop though.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Not necessarily. Scot and Evan are actually pretty active on the FB group. I don't know that they do a whole lot of customer service emails for the shop though.
OK. I might have to register on their forum and see if I can reach them through that.

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
Keep us informed on your design though because I have been looking for a hpg stove on the used market for a while and keep missing them when they become available.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Keep us informed on your design though because I have been looking for a hpg stove on the used market for a while and keep missing them when they become available.
Will do. I have everything all drawn up, and I'm making the final tweaks to the design. Hopefully I can cut my first prototypes sometime next week. I need to test out a few material thicknesses for durability. I'm hoping to keep the stainless version under 2lbs, and a titanium version closer to 1lb.

Caleb1986

FNG
Will do. I have everything all drawn up, and I'm making the final tweaks to the design. Hopefully I can cut my first prototypes sometime next week. I need to test out a few material thicknesses for durability. I'm hoping to keep the stainless version under 2lbs, and a titanium version closer to 1lb.
How did you make out with your stove?

Caleb1986

FNG
Well I hope you do. This looks like the best design for a tent stove I have seen although it probably could used some kind of draft control at the bottom. Just wish I could find one for sale.

Caleb1986

FNG
I did a stainless prototype but then got slammed at work and never developed it further. The initial design was promising, but I should make a few tweaks and then cut some out of titanium
Did it slow down at work? You pick this stove idea back up again?

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry about impinging on HPG stove design. HPG got their start by advertising their stuff on the old Kifaru forum. Most of what they offered in the way of packs and some garments were obvious copies of Kifaru stuff.

The brothers weren't shy about promoting their new business, and I was very surprised Pat Smith let them continue advertising their competing business on his site. Once they set up their own site they weren't shy about bashing Kifaru's stuff, in particular the Kif sleeping bags. I wasn't that surprised by it.

I had more than a few forum conversations with the brothers during that time. 15 years later my opinion hasn't changed.

gabenzeke

WKR
I've been curious about these stoves for years. Hope you can bring it to market.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ashman71

FNG
I've had numerous emails with the hpg staff regarding this stove. The refuse to attempt manufacture anywhere but the us. It's a great design. Needs to be brought to market. I know several asian factories that could bring this in Ti. They're just aren't companies that make these types of products in NA.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I've had numerous emails with the hpg staff regarding this stove. The refuse to attempt manufacture anywhere but the us. It's a great design. Needs to be brought to market. I know several asian factories that could bring this in Ti. They're just aren't companies that make these types of products in NA.
I have access to all that I need to make them. I have it reverse engineered and have the drawings nearly complete. I just need to take the time to finalize the drawings and cut the prototypes.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
renagde,

Any estimate of stove weight when titanium used?

Thank you

Ashman71

FNG
Would you make them in Ti or stainless? If you want any input on comercialization or developemnet for intl production I can help. I just want to buy one of these stoves but it could be a product with profit potentially if scaled properly. I know time is the maim factor, but if i can help, let me know. I work in design, manufactureing and development both domestically and in asia, not in metal stoves but in the outdoor industry. Thanks.