Huge cuts to AZ OTC

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
not too bad. I didn't see a number of archery OTC tags availability or restriction proposed. Like Idaho has done for OTC elk.
what I've been used to seeing as non-resident hunting AZ for the last 18 years.

I didn’t look at all of them, only units close by. All I see with a few exceptions are things going back to how they were pretty much my entire hunting life. Some units that are recommended close, have only been open for a few years in the December/January time frame. A few were always open in January but not December until about 2016, and are now going back to Jan only. It doesn’t all look bad, and some I’m very happy to see actually.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Yup. But I’d do the same. At the end of the day they’re passionate hunters making money in the hunting industry. It’s definitely a sticky area.

No different than Eastman's has done for decades. Selling unit specifics to garner attention to their products. No stopping it as lame as it is.

Problem I see with the current group is they are spreading all over and have no problem selling out what they find. Eastman's was certainly more localized.

I do appreciate the "How to walk with one foot in front of other" and "Drinking water from a bottle" type videos, so there is that.

No different than Eastman's has done for decades. Selling unit specifics to garner attention to their products. No stopping it as lame as it is.

Problem I see with the current group is they are spreading all over and have no problem selling out what they find. Eastman's was certainly more localized.

I do appreciate the "How to walk with one foot in front of other" and "Drinking water from a bottle" type videos, so there is that.
Eastmans and a few others have been doing it for awhile for sure. Social media has just made all of them much effective at reaching audiences I believe.

Fatcamp

WKR
Eastmans and a few others have been doing it for awhile for sure. Social media has just made all of them much effective at reaching audiences I believe.

And volume matters. There are so many of them they have to come up with the big thing that makes them stand out. Unfortunately, that means locations, the more specific the better.

Goatboy22

FNG
Everything changes, doesn't it! I remember when Mike Eastman was a skinny guy in a cowboy hat selling subscriptions to his magazine at the International Sportsman's Expo in Denver in the early 80's. Jim Zumbo gave a presentation called "How to Get an Easy Elk" at the same show about these things called "preference points" that folks didn't apply for because they just wanted to buy an OTC license and hunt. Gave me a stomach ache! Of course I was drawing Colorado Unit 61 bull licenses at the time with one point and non-resident eastern Nevada deer licenses every year with 0 points. No internet or social media. The good old days!

i think someone said it was 2800 rifle tags being proposed to be cut as well. drought not helping out the herds. if you thought the point creep was bad the last couple of years....

Deadfall

WKR
I've never taken advantage of these hunts and probably never would have, but I feel the pain for people who have done them for many years. It wasn't an outcome that was hard to predict. I'm starting to get on board with the idea that social media is the worst thing that has happened to hunting. They preach R3 and may be good at recruiting new hunters, but it's hard to retain hunters when their publicity gets OTC tags eliminated and makes other tags nearly impossible to draw. I mostly just feel sick for the hunters who had a long tradition with some of these hunting opportunities that are now gone.
I'll second this.

dtrkyman

WKR
After the parade of Morons I saw in 27 I hope it goes draw, then I won't be there. Seriously though something needs to change!

How about a high odds draw? I had been told that making an adjacent unit to 27 increased pressure.

Slim Jim

WKR
All good things come to an end. I’m sure glad I had plenty of opportunities before it ends. Won’t be long before all states put an end to OTC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
After the parade of Morons I saw in 27 I hope it goes draw, then I won't be there. Seriously though something needs to change!

How about a high odds draw? I had been told that making an adjacent unit to 27 increased pressure.
Grown up hunting there my whole life. Makes me sick what social media and forums did to it.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer on 27, I've been hunting it the past few years in January. If it goes through I'll have to find a new unit to go explore in January.

I'm excited to see what it does to deer quality though.

OP
canyonhunter47
Bummer on 27, I've been hunting it the past few years in January. If it goes through I'll have to find a new unit to go explore in January.

I'm excited to see what it does to deer quality though.
They sailed through the recommendations at the last meeting. They did mention being open to larger changes when the hunt guidelines are up for review, but they have to work within the current structures for the time being

ckleeves

WKR
I have said it for years but social media will be the death of hunting. If the “influencers” are truly passionate about hunting then they need to just shut their mouths.

Hunting revolves around a limited resource plain and simple. It’s not golf where you just build more golf courses as more people participate.

Stop supporting these people. Stop watching their videos, stop “liking” their social media, stop listening to their podcast where your IQ has actually dropped by the end. Do your own research on F&G sites, it’s free and right in front of your face.

Lots of these guys are good dudes, I’m not saying they are bad people I’m sure some are well intentioned and will regret what they have created in 20 years. Others are after the $$$ and fueling their ego’s. Every time they post video or pics that’s somebody’s (not theirs of course) secret spot and the GE sleuths WILL find it.

If you really care about hunter recruitment then take a kid hunting and teach them a love for the outdoors. That simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman