Huge cuts to AZ OTC

bowuntr

WKR
Soon all AZ OTC tags will be gone. Just a few years ago it was nothing to pick leftovers tags down south. All good things come to an end. With the point creep I'm thinking of cashing in my 10 points for 3c. I'm ready to see some fur fly!
I hope it's just for non residents. If residents are holding out for a strip tag they won't be able to hunt deer at all without burning their points. I'll move somewhere else. Ed F

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I have said it for years but social media will be the death of hunting. If the “influencers” are truly passionate about hunting then they need to just shut their mouths.

Hunting revolves around a limited resource plain and simple. It’s not golf where you just build more golf courses as more people participate.

Stop supporting these people. Stop watching their videos, stop “liking” their social media, stop listening to their podcast where your IQ has actually dropped by the end. Do your own research on F&G sites, it’s free and right in front of your face.

Lots of these guys are good dudes, I’m not saying they are bad people I’m sure some are well intentioned and will regret what they have created in 20 years. Others are after the $$$ and fueling their ego’s. Every time they post video or pics that’s somebody’s (not theirs of course) secret spot and the GE sleuths WILL find it.

If you really care about hunter recruitment then take a kid hunting and teach them a love for the outdoors. That simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am one of the terrible new hunters showing up at your (or someone's) favorite spot. I didn't start hunting because of the social media influencers and forums. I started because my friends at work invited me on a hunt. But the podcasts, tv shows, youtube videos, books, and forum posts are what turned it in to a passion. There was so much information available, so many different experiences and methods and gear and technique, that I spent hours learning about all of them. I have learned more from all of you than I'll ever be able to actually try in the field.

I don't search google earth to find out where internet-famous people hunt. I try to find my own spots, using the information I've learned. I'm not often successful, but I'm still going out.

And because of my involvement in hunting and shooting, my family, my wife's family, our friends and neighbors have all enjoyed some wild game at dinner, listened to hunt stories, and know that hunting, shooting, and conservation are important, both to me personally and to everyone, generally. My sister-in-law, a non-hunting city girl in Denver, asked me about the wolf ballot initiative last year. She voted against it because of our conversation.

So Rokslide and Newberg and Rinella and the rest made a new, lifetime hunter, who in turn can help sway 10+ non-hunting voters on relevant issues.

And I'll be back in your spot this year, trying to get my first deer with bow. See you out there.

Hmmm, All i can say is that I hope CO listens to what AZ does. F'ing S%^tshow here.

- I have never and will never support GOHunt!
- I am happy to help someone that draws a limited tag with beta in my local area.
- I refuse to offer info to any OTC questions. There is no skin in the game for most, that can gain a preference point and hunt OTC in the same year. Personal PM's from OTC hunters has increased 10X in the last 5 years.
- I don't hunt in my backyard anymore. It's been years since. I hunt in species specific units that i understand are actually managed well, no matter what state I'm in.
- I only now guide in areas that are managed well. And I have put my time in to justify that.

And I'll be back in your spot this year, trying to get my first deer with bow. See you out there.
As for another subject - This is maybe the most ignorant and arrogant S*^T I have ever seen on rokslide. Well, I'll counter. Assuming you could ever understand where "my spot" would be, I would just let you bump a buck to me. Then I'll shoot it right in front of you and let it die while you walk past at a hundred yards and never even know it happened. Watch who you're talking to.
Maybe you should take Rinella's advice. He states, "I would give up the opportunity to hunt 'an area', and never set foot in there again, to ensure that all the following generations will have the opportunity to do so." - Sure seems like he might be actually doing the exact opposite thing with a platform like Meateater.
Maybe you should spend some time trying to change policy at CPW commission meetings instead of hunting. Maybe not hunting in CO would be a good thing considering most of the wild game pops are declining for lack of winter range, mismanagement, low calf recruitment, etc.....
Killing the animal is not the answer, stewardship is. There are a lot of Rokslide folks who have been working on CO or other state policies for years. You may have just rubbed them the wrong way, certainly did me.

Last edited:
The responses here are incredible - main theme seems to be since I have been hunting longer than you so the animals are mine and I am more deserving of them. As well as all Social media and Go Hunt are terrible but I am ok spending time on the biggest western hunting forum.... I have been hunting the west for 30 years and have been a resident in 4 different states. We need more hunters not less but we need to understand that we will have less opportunities because of that and that is ok. I am more concerned with my kids and their generation getting tag opportunities than worries about what animals/tags/areas I deserve.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
This is maybe the most ignorant and arrogant S*^T I have ever seen on rokslide. Well, I'll counter. Assuming you could ever understand where "my spot" would be, I would just let you bump a buck to me. Then I'll shoot it right in front of you and let it die while you walk past at a hundred yards and never even know it happened. Watch who you're talking to.
Metaphor friend, metaphor.

Maybe you should take Rinella's advice. He states, "I would give up the opportunity to hunt 'an area', and never set foot in there again, to ensure that all the following generations will have the opportunity to do so." - Sure seems like he might be actually doing the exact opposite thing with a platform like Meateater.
Maybe you should spend some time trying to change policy at CPW commission meetings instead of hunting. Maybe not hunting in CO would be a good thing considering most of the wild game pops are declining for lack of winter range, mismanagement, low calf recruitment, etc.....
Killing the animal is not the answer, stewardship is.
Where did I say I'm not doing that? We were talking about social media and hunter recruitment.

There are a lot of Rokslide folks who have been working on CO or other state policies for years.
Thanks to them, and you, for doing that hard work. Does that entitle you or them to first choice in a limited resource? Does it make you more worthy of getting a tag, or not being bothered by another OTC hunter?

You may have just rubbed them the wrong way, certainly did me.
I rubbed you the wrong way? By saying I'm new to hunting, not a life long hunter, I've learned from resources on the internet, I vote hunting issues (and get others to do the same), and that I'll be out hunting public land this year (not literally your spot, that's the metaphor). It doesn't take much to upset you.

Your response does a good job of demonstrating the entitlement that long-time hunters often have. You work on policy and stewardship, which makes you more worthy. You clearly know better than CPW and other state game agencies about management goals and objectives. New hunters should be the first ones excluded, so that there are enough animals for you to hunt.

Stewardship and conservation doesn't need to conflict with recruitment. They can build on each other. More hunters leads to more money for the system, a larger pool of volunteers and advocates, more people likely to vote in favor of hunting issues, more people likely to participate in state game agency planning and policy making. All those things can lead to MORE animals if we care to put effort toward that. But so long as a large number of people are worried about getting their slice, then we won't be successful in growing the whole pie and making more slices.

Last edited:

wweaver

FNG
This has definitely been coming. Thing is those otc units in AZ cannot support the current number of hunters. These otc tags are in DESERT units with low numbers of deer that do not bounce back easily. Drought Issues and lots of predators already before the hunters get in there. Hate to say it but I would support non residents only hunting every other or something similar, not taking points, because of the long term goal of deer hunting up north. I also think residents should not be effected on the otc opportunity, yet anyway. AZ fish and game is better than a lot of the western states as far as keeping their thumb on what’s on going with pressure and game populations, my opinion.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Every year of the past 18 years as a non-resident hunting OTC archery deer in AZ, I've only come across few if any other archery hunters in the field (ITF).
ITF as in 1/2 mile or more away from roads, including ATV-UTV trails.
But then I avoid the popular units, such as around Flagstaff #8-9, Alpine #27 and unit 33!

AZ residents (& most other western state residents too) are just pissy about successful, non-resident archery hunters, especially DIY-Solo like myself. The tag, license NR fees are more costly than when I started 18 years ago, and I'll keep paying to pursue my outdoors enjoyment. Costs less than my golf obsession (GHIN +1.4).
But through the years, I've put in the time, the work, research the old way, boots on the ground and just plain know what I'm doing in the field...that's commitment & dedication=success!

15 years tagged mainframe 4x4 muleys or 3x3+coues bucks. 2 years passed shots early in hunts that I would have taken on a last day. And the best thing......

I'm now (December 2021) a AZ resident with house in Gilbert...on a golf course!
C'mon 2022 early archery bull tag with 15 points!!

OP
canyonhunter47
Not so fast there scooter, December 2021 to elk apps in February 2022 ain’t 6 months to apply as a resident

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Every year of the past 18 years as a non-resident hunting OTC archery deer in AZ, I've only come across few if any other archery hunters in the field (ITF).
ITF as in 1/2 mile or more away from roads, including ATV-UTV trails.
But then I avoid the popular units, such as around Flagstaff #8-9, Alpine #27 and unit 33!

AZ residents (& most other western state residents too) are just pissy about successful, non-resident archery hunters, especially DIY-Solo like myself. The tag, license NR fees are more costly than when I started 18 years ago, and I'll keep paying to pursue my outdoors enjoyment. Costs less than my golf obsession (GHIN +1.4).
But through the years, I've put in the time, the work, research the old way, boots on the ground and just plain know what I'm doing in the field...that's commitment & dedication=success!

15 years tagged mainframe 4x4 muleys or 3x3+coues bucks. 2 years passed shots early in hunts that I would have taken on a last day. And the best thing......

Welcome to Gilbert.

I’m pissy that azgfd encouraged the non-Rez influx, then shut units down when they hit the 20% archery threshold. Im happy for your past success. I’m not happy that the 2 units I could morning hunt before work won’t be open in December. I haven’t had any trouble with people where I hunt, but there’s been enough harvest that now I can’t.

mavinwa2

WKR
not too happy either with some December archery OTC closures.
IMO, just spreads that pressure in closed units to other open OTC units.
Just like 24B, just an hour drive from Gilbert. It's now closed to December mulies. For sure it was crowded, but my observations were more ATV/UTV riders, hikers, target shooters rather than archery hunters. Took couple nice muley bucks in there but sure had to glass, hike & scout many hours for that success.

my success has its share of lucky right spot at right time, but then who knew such luck takes so much effort beforehand.

OP
canyonhunter47
not too happy either with some December archery OTC closures.
IMO, just spreads that pressure in closed units to other open OTC units.
Just like 24B, just an hour drive from Gilbert. It's now closed to December mulies. For sure it was crowded, but my observations were more ATV/UTV riders, hikers, target shooters rather than archery hunters. Took couple nice muley bucks in there but sure had to glass, hike & scout many hours for that success.

my success has its share of lucky right spot at right time, but then who knew such luck takes so much effort beforehand.
The units you’re complaining about are also the ones hit by a one-two punch of strong fires and poor drought conditions over the last few years. There are still units close to the Valley that have December opportunity and many more within a few hours drive

mavinwa2

WKR
The units you’re complaining about are also the ones hit by a one-two punch of strong fires and poor drought conditions over the last few years. There are still units close to the Valley that have December opportunity and many more within a few hours drive
Not complaining, just as an example using 24B.
Yes, I usually drive 2-4 hours to access my main units of interest the last 7 years

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hmmm, All i can say is that I hope CO listens to what AZ does. F'ing S%^tshow here.

- I have never and will never support GOHunt!
- I am happy to help someone that draws a limited tag with beta in my local area.
- I refuse to offer info to any OTC questions. There is no skin in the game for most, that can gain a preference point and hunt OTC in the same year. Personal PM's from OTC hunters has increased 10X in the last 5 years.
- I don't hunt in my backyard anymore. It's been years since. I hunt in species specific units that i understand are actually managed well, no matter what state I'm in.
- I only now guide in areas that are managed well. And I have put my time in to justify that.

As for another subject - This is maybe the most ignorant and arrogant S*^T I have ever seen on rokslide. Well, I'll counter. Assuming you could ever understand where "my spot" would be, I would just let you bump a buck to me. Then I'll shoot it right in front of you and let it die while you walk past at a hundred yards and never even know it happened. Watch who you're talking to.
Killing the animal is not the answer, stewardship is. There are a lot of Rokslide folks who have been working on CO or other state policies for years. You may have just rubbed them the wrong way, certainly did me.
Wow. Get over yourself. I’m a lifelong backpacker and hunter and your attitude towards a new hunter is sickening.

Your response does a good job of demonstrating the entitlement that long-time hunters often have. You work on policy and stewardship, which makes you more worthy. You clearly know better than CPW and other state game agencies about management goals and objectives. New hunters should be the first ones excluded, so that there are enough animals for you to hunt.
If this is what you took out of my comments, I rest my case.
Stewardship and conservation doesn't need to conflict with recruitment. They can build on each other. More hunters leads to more money for the system, a larger pool of volunteers and advocates, more people likely to vote in favor of hunting issues, more people likely to participate in state game agency planning and policy making. All those things can lead to MORE animals if we care to put effort toward that. But so long as a large number of people are worried about getting their slice, then we won't be successful in growing the whole pie and making more slices
If this is your plan and outlook then keep doing it. I applaud this. Be careful where your plan came from. This thread is partially about the influence of others and how it has ruined hunting for most/some of the commenters. Their words not mine. I only reflected the same in CO. Because it has.

A metaphor would be something like, "He is running like a scalded dog."
I see nothing but a statement here. Quite possibly a response in sarcasm to all the commenters who said something beforehand. But, I've been wrong before and will apologize if so.

What you don't know and is not your fault, is that I have mentored more than a dozen private hunters from various hunting forums across the internet and helped quite a few to success in my backyard and made lifelong friends. As stated above, I don't hunt my backyard. If someone else can be successful, I am happy to trade my limited managed opportunity for them to have a chance to succeed. Then I concentrate on areas that need better management or culling for my own person.
Every client that I have taken out while guiding I see as a student and try to teach them how to come back on their own and hunt for themselves, if they would like the knowledge. Hopefully they come back with years of success and save a few bucks by not needing an outfitter or guide. A new client comes in, hopefully the cycle repeats.

What I cannot abide by is OTC hunters ruining areas because a commission is held by funding constraints. Particularly CPW. It's not good as a whole because they are stretched way to thin. AZ I feel does a much better management job and that is just what it is. You are probably a good, responsible hunter. The new majority are assholes. Plain and simple
So, I have hunted OTC AZ in the past. You will not see me there until I feel that the species population/hunter numbers/biological cycle swings and it is beneficial to the area for me to go back. In other words, I might never get to hunt there again. It depends on what my research and the biologists from AZ tell me over the phone or email.

Hunting is a very small part of stewardship in my view, but personally is more important than it is for others.
For instance, this year I was bow hunting a very tough draw unit in NM and let a 370" bull walk at 40y because the meat would have spoiled even though this would have been my personal best bull ever. I was 8 miles in. An outfitter watched me from across the valley. Later, when I walked by, he asked why I didn't shoot. So, I told him. He them offered me a guiding gig whenever I want it.
I hope you can find my spot, kill him, and get it out responsibly. I'll even tell you where it is.

Last edited: