Human Interference

I hunt some areas with a lot of trails. Have found since the covid stuff started I call in A LOT of people with the foxpro. I've been 4+ miles from any road and had people walk to my foxpro multiple times in different places. I always take photos, or film just incase they mess with the call and I can't get down to it in time. I believe under the state law it's hunter harassment if they mess with the call. I swear people cannot fight the urge of going to find out what that dying rabbit sound is. Maybe their primal instinct is subconsciously kicking in LOL.

The last coyote I got to commit to a set got blown out by a guy who went to my call. I saw the dog running down a ridge line to me, waited for it to come out in the open. Then saw a guy come out the other side straight to my call.

Had another guy take pictures of it. He went in to grab it, and I switched the call to a screaming lamb sound then threw the decoy on. He jumped back and walked off. When I was leaving the set since he blew everything out of the canyon I ran into him. Had to answer his questions on the legality of what I was doing. I guess he didn't realize he was the only one about to break the law.

Curious if any of you guys have dealt with this?

Ha! This is not what I expected when I read the title. I thought this would have to do with animal responses, with people activity in the area. I've never called someone in with the foxpro before, but I have pretty good luck with people deciding to go outside and make a racket right in the middle of a stand (with animals coming in).

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I got called into a foxpro while out small game hunting once...

I heard the racket and figured I'd go try for a shot at whatever was tearing the rabbit apart. I got to the edge of the cornfield it was coming from and couldn't see anything, so I start glassing with my binoculars and found two hunters tucked into the hedgerow out in the middle rather than what I was hoping for. I went over and apologized knowing that I had blown their set; they were cool about it and we talked about some of the other areas we hunt coyotes in locally (found out they pull a lot of coyotes off a property about a mile as the crow flies from my house). In my defense, it was like noon and I wasn't trying to mess up their stand.

Laramie

WKR
Need to add a pre-recorded message to play when some non-hunter walks up to it- "Warning- This is a mountain lion and wolf call. It is highly likely they are stalking in on this location right now. You should completely leave the area before you get eaten". You might get some fun reactions lol.

Last edited:
OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
Another one. Hiked a few miles for bobber tracks. Cut some pretty fresh ones. Set up in a promising set... About 15 minutes into the cat set I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. It's someone's dog hauling ass to the fox pro. I cut the sound it goes crazy trying to figure out what the hell it was. I watch the people cruise by without a care in the world after they just wrecked my fresh bob track sit. Lol can't catch a break.

Maybe today?!

Edit: included picture is the last one to try to figure out the complex puzzle that is the "Foxpro". "How the hell did they fit a screaming animal in that?"

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_052424~2.jpg
    IMG_20210103_052424~2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 49

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I have a buddy that hunts some public ground that has hiking trails on one end of it. A few years back he had the dying rabbit blues playing when two women hikers walked into his stand thinking that there was an abandoned baby around.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I have a buddy that hunts some public ground that has hiking trails on one end of it. A few years back he had the dying rabbit blues playing when two women hikers walked into his stand thinking that there was an abandoned baby around.
That's crazy lol. The jackrabbit sounds do sound like a baby crying.

TheGDog

WKR
Oddly... was about 5 miles in... had eCaller and MOJO set out, and I'm up in my elevated position looking down upon it. as the morning hours were getting more towards the kinda hours you tend to start seeing hikers if they'll be there.. (maybe 9a?) a long ways back up the trail line I noticed the motion... then heard the chatter of 2 older (Id say approaching 60's?) Asian couples coming in.

So... I stop the eCaller. Figure I'll wait until they pass thru then possibly resume after maybe a 15min pause.

Good grief... they were acting mystified by the MOJO. You'd think a person would see it... obviously realize that since it's there and running/spinning, they'd instantly figure out that there has to be a human nearby who obviously must have put it there, very recently, and leave it alone and be about your business and giddy the f**k on.

But no... they stop.. look at it in bewilderment/amazement.. chitter-chatter amongst themselves... of course, they pull out cellphones and waste even more of my time taking multiple pics/vids. REally? Seriously??

Just seemed soo odd to see them back in there that far. Especially since it was a bit brisk and cold that morning. If I remember right, at most I think I maybe saw they had water bottles and that's about it it. Just frustrating and weird. I remained quiet and waited for them to pass. Since it takes a bit of effort to get into and out of that elevated sit location, due to the soft steep dirt ya gotta climb up. Ran it a bit for another sequence once I thought they were nice and far enough away down the trail. Then decided it was time to call it.

OH...

Real weird... another time at a location that's far to hike into from public... but has several private properties nearby... I had the eCaller and MOJO out.. a guy that looks like a long distance trail runner type... late 50's maybe... comes walking onto the scene while I was pausing between sounds... sees the MOJO going.... and then he does something real damn weird...

He proceeds to raise both his arms and hands up high above his head... and then slowly turns and begins to walk back in the direction from which he came.. keeping his hands high above his head for like 10yds before we drops em back down and exits the area. The area where he and the caller were at was in a rather opened-up area in the middle of that sort of woodland area. So it wasn't like it was in thick stuff and visibility an issue or anything.

Last edited:
I guess I am confused. How about just turning the caller off when some person is around? I also hunted near trails but I would turn the caller off, let them go or run by, then continue. This makes things even better for the coyotes, since this is something a normal animal would do anyways. The coyotes would watch the reaction of the human and more realism is built.

Also, wouldn't you NOT want to shoot when someone is near your caller? And if you are calling people in for fun, then you are putting out a bad image of us predator hunters.

And no, they are not interrupting your hunt. Interrupting hunts is very different, these are just curious people.

OP
Stubborn_bowhunter
I guess I am confused. How about just turning the caller off when some person is around? I also hunted near trails but I would turn the caller off, let them go or run by, then continue. This makes things even better for the coyotes, since this is something a normal animal would do anyways. The coyotes would watch the reaction of the human and more realism is built.

Also, wouldn't you NOT want to shoot when someone is near your caller? And if you are calling people in for fun, then you are putting out a bad image of us predator hunters.

And no, they are not interrupting your hunt. Interrupting hunts is very different, these are just curious people.
It is turned off in every scenario listed except when someone tried to grab the call. No one's calling people in for fun.

Edit: I know nothing will come in after someone walks through the set. So it is interrupting the set. It's not a big deal. Just has odd reactions sometimes.
When someone attempts to take the call it becomes hunter harassment. It's the same as sabotaging a trappers set. I also assure you that a weapon is NEVER pointed toward a person/domestic animal . And the moment a person enters the set the arrow is unnocked and the rifle is unloaded.

Last edited: