Humbled Again

LostArra

WKR
Just an update. Shooting with one arrow has been hugely successful. i dunno if it's the break time between shots, the added sense of focus using a single arrow or what but it works. I shoot from different distances (unsure of the exact distance all within 25 yards) each time and shooting purely instinctive I am back in the zone. I also find that I shoot best when I don't think, just draw and shoot. I think not rangefinding will help in the field.

I wouldn't sweat it. I watched the South Cox video and I'm an absolute bow assassin at 5 feet so I've probably been practicing too much for my elk hunt

OP
Where's Bruce?
I was determined to hunt with my Blacktail Legacy Gemsbok bow but didn’t wanna destroy it in the field. Gravity has attacked me mercilessly and my other bows (and some of my joints) have suffered damage in the past. So I set about creating a hunting sheath for my stickbow that was light, silent to remove and padded to offer some protection. Some people view a Legacy bow as a piece of art, an heirloom to ornament their wall. In order to be valued and treasured, the heirloom must have a story. My bow is not going to be a wall ornament, it’s going to produce wall hanging trophies. Shoulder mounts of successful spot & stalk hunts.

After many failed attempts (using zippers and Velcro that were too loud and just didn’t measure up) I finally created a design that works. I just slide the two overlapping pieces onto the bow and secure it using three quick release clips. Comes off quietly in under 5 seconds. I wish to thank my friends at OMP (October Mountain Products) for assisting me in this endeavor and providing the raw materials I needed to make this waterproof, padded sheath. I have their bow cases and needed tough, lightweight materials. They eagerly and enthusiastically provided the requested scrap pieces for which I am extremely thankful. So next week bow and sheath will enter the Kaibab in pursuit of monster bull elk. Fingers crossed.

Hunting sheath closed-

huntingsheathclosed.JPG

Hunting sheath open-

huntingshealthopen.JPG

Quick release buckles-

huntingsheathquikreleasesnaps.JPG

Last edited:

NorvTex

WKR
65# with a stick is stout. I'd been shooting trad (for fun) for a few years when I decided to step up to a 58# longbow to hunt with. Sat in a stand twice with that bow, and put arrows between the legs of a spike and a doe. In the yard, I could shoot it ok, but in a stand with the shot fever, that weight pushed me over the edge and made me terrible.

Went back to lower weight as soon as I could!