Hunt 161 Oregon

Pdzoller

WKR
I was curious if anyone would be willing to discuss this area? Obviously there will be a bunch of people on and near the roads. I am more curious about what to expect from the weather? Prevailing winds? Temperature fluctuations? Success rates aren’t great but the scenery is just as important to me. I usually take my camp trailer, use it as a base camp and do four plus day hikes.

Big country. Deep canyons. Beautiful. Full of wolves. Deer herd decimated. Easy draw. Tough tough hunt.
Bout sums it up. Wind changes constantly. Normally warm with a rare chance for snow.
I think Oregon did a great job of describing that unit/hunt. If you are hoping for some really spectacular hikes where you get to pack a rifle along for the heck of it its a perfect unit to hunt. There is s reason its a pretty easy unit to draw in what used to be one of the best areas of Oregon for great mule deer but thats many years in the past.

And like Oregon said you can mostly count on decent weather but you can also wake up to snow.

OP
Pdzoller

Pdzoller

WKR
I don’t mind if a deer hunt turns into a bear or cat hunt either.

Oregon

WKR
I think Oregon did a great job of describing that unit/hunt. If you are hoping for some really spectacular hikes where you get to pack a rifle along for the heck of it its a perfect unit to hunt. There is s reason its a pretty easy unit to draw in what used to be one of the best areas of Oregon for great mule deer but thats many years in the past.

And like Oregon said you can mostly count on decent weather but you can also wake up to snow.

"Back in the day" that place was incredible. Absolutely incredible.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
With Oregon's deer season the tail end of September and start of October, you can bet on it to be nice weather most of the time. But definitely be prepared for snow, usually looking at the extended forecast two weeks before your hunt you'll have a pretty good idea. Lots of wolves and bears in that country, probably have higher odds of smoking a bear than a decent buck, but you never know!

I hunt an adjacent unit and drive through that one to get to it and its some gnarly country. I agree with what was said above about the weather