Hunt Alaska Magazine ONLINE seminars

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This just went live. I chose Float Draggin' Alaska as my 94 min "seminar." Enjoy this free opportunity to learn some stuff.

lb

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hell yes.

Float draggin Alaska is like the Bible in my work place, people are always asking me to look at that book. I’ve gotten several guys into float hunting based on that book.

AKDoc

WKR
Extremely well done LB...as always. I greatly appreciate your values to generously share with fellow hunters, prioritizing responsible meat salvage after the kill, and management of our environmental presence...and your strong support for fellow veterans.

I fully share those values, and I am soooo thankful for my PR-49HD and Kork that you designed...they both get a lot of use every year by me...float-trips are truly awesome in this wonderful place that we call home...Alaska!

Cheechako

FNG
Thank you for sharing Larry.
I really appreciate your dedication to meat care. I did my first float hunt last year and decided half way through to stop hunting because my partner and I weren’t up to properly caring for the meat if we killed one.
Lesson learned.

Great video Larry. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience here.

Did you talk with those hunters after their trip? How did they take the "brotherly education?" Did the appreciate the help, or were they standoffish about it?

Also, what sleds are you using for dragging the quarters? I looked at your website and didn't see them.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I spoke to them between harvest one and harvest two when they passed our camp miles below where i dropped off their meat and trash. I'm obviously coming from a place of education not shame, so they responded pretty well IMO. I spoke to them ad nauseum after the hunt, and they have been back three times since then and are loyal customers and great hunters.

All of my clients sort of sense that I follow "some" groups to gauge the effectiveness of my educational tools, so I've never had someone protest. At least not openly.

I should mention that my clandestine operations centered around meat care and camping etiquette was a 20-year planned period of observation and education using the scientific method. I created a vast assortment of meat care videos using this data. By their hard work and some missteps I was given unique Alaska issues that were addressable and needed to improve our community. The final video of this observation period was the presentation on Mitigating Bacteria in the Backcountry, which i posted here and on my Youtube channel. So, to that end, my sneak is no longer a required approach. I still spot check groups but this is merely to ensure education points haven't changed.

The sled was a home-made project that hundreds of people have wanted to buy or DIY. I ended up giving this design to Northern Sledworks to develop. He sold that company and all his sled designs to Alaska Airframes in Anchorage.

The sled i developed with NSW now sold by AA is here, called the LB sled:

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Im'a double back on that ole' dog one of these days!

Larry's youtube channel has basically raised my son through covid. It's a gold mine if you approach it right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
@Larry Bartlett thanks for the link to the sleds. I'm looking for something to move bone in moose quarters a short distance. I won't know for sure if I'll need it until right at the time of the hunt depending on which unit my pilot drops me in. In looking at the LB large and small models I'm wondering if the small is too small for a moose hind?
Thanks.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The LB small is technically designed for sheep/caribou hunting. The length of that sled will be short for the knee to hoof portion of a moose leg, but you could elevate that end portion with a piece of driftwood or gear underneath to keep it up off the ground during the drag.

Great vid, Larry! One of our AC members brought in one of your sleds for everyone to see last year, and now we all want one.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mark, the older I get the better that sled eases my operations. The roll-away feature is key for rafting and that also serves as a dry tuck-away spot for gloves, coats, whatever. Pretty slick.

AKDoc

WKR
Mark, the older I get the better that sled eases my operations. The roll-away feature is key for rafting and that also serves as a dry tuck-away spot for gloves, coats, whatever. Pretty slick.
I've been using a very basic roll-up sled for several years now, and it is the way to go for me as I've gotten older.

I was over at Alaska Airframes late last January for somethings else, and I noticed that they had your sled design on display (the large model). I recognized it right away from watching a video a couple years ago, and also saw that it had LB included in the sled model name.

A couple weeks later I bought my wife something for Valentine's Day, and she asked what she could get for me. Hmmmm...it was a quick answer from me and her. That day I bought the last one they had in stock at that time.

Can't wait to give it a work-out for moose. I like your design LB...the narrow bowing of the front and the "side-board" wrap-up along the sides...nice.

BTW...do you have a customer punch-card? Geez...two rafts, a crap-load of TAG bags, and now a sled! Always good gear lb...thank you.

P.S. Nice trophy bugger in the video...that was hilarious, glad you didn't edit out.

JPD350

WKR
I appreciate what you do Larry, I just wish that the concept of leave no trace and meat care was as important to every single person that visits the Alaska or any wilderness. Over the last year the NM forests have been inundated by people wanting to get away from Covid, the amount of people that have no respect for where they just visited or for others that will follow is staggering!

Even though leave no trace is a constant issue keep up the good work! I just wish you weren't so buggered up.......... Lol I mean booked up!

I still can't believe I got to float that very river system in the video, even though we didn't kill it was jammed packed with adventure from start to finish and I am almost sure it will never be topped, I think about it often!

AKDoc

WKR
...Gotta keep it real, Doc!
You always keep it real lb, and that's a good thing. Your public comment presentation before a Kotz advisory committee a few years back was a "keeping it real" classic...I would have been clapping for you if I were there.

Side note...I am soooo looking forward to late August/early Sept. Taking my Kork to my favorite western AK river (4th time), and doing the hundred miles from start to finish...fishing heaven for 9 days! You know the river (shhhh about it here)...I showed you the picture of my son and I with his first grizzly that he got on the last float.