Hunt Application

street

WKR
Hi guys, First time poster here so go easy on me. First off I just want to say that I'm happy to be here and I'm hoping to learn a lot from the community and I hope to reciprocate with some of my deer knowledge as well.

I just moved to CO from MN so I've been putting in the research to find some GMU's to target for next year. I feel that I have a good idea of some hunts that I will apply for. What I'm interested in currently, is what all your guys advice would be from an application strategy. Down the road I would like to try to hunt some "trophy" mule deer in higher PP units. So my question is, what would be the best strategy to gain a point next year while having good/100% chance to draw a tag? For example, I didn't see it explicitly mentioned, but can you draw a 1st choice AND buy a PP? I assume that is not possible?

Based on that, would a good strategy be to apply for a PP 1st choice, then a 2nd choice with very good odds on less desirable unit?

Then from there, if I want to get an elk PP to use in future years, is it best if I do that as my 4th?

I really appreciate your guys willingness to help out. Thanks.

Jim,

You’re right that drawing a tag first choice would burn your points. If you want to build preference points you’ll need to apply for a point as your first choice (or apply for a tag you don’t have enough points to draw) and then attempt to draw a tag with your second choice.

I don’t follow your elk comment, though. Points/applications are species specific, so what you do for deer doesn’t affect elk. If you want elk points then submit an application for elk, and apply for points first choice. There’s lots of OTC options for elk so drawing a second choice tag isn’t as necessary for that species.

You can submit a separate application for as many species as you want to and build points using your first choice, just make sure you understand the fees that go along with it.

amp713

WKR
I'd also say as a resident I'd get every point for every species possible. You are way behind the curve and dont wanna put yourself behind anymore!!

OP
street

street

WKR
Thanks for your replies guys. So I definitely misinterpreted when I read about the species applications. That makes much more sense now that you say it. Thanks.

And as far as applying for all species, that seems like the best route to go.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
It begs the question...can anybody who STARTS accumulating points NOW ever truly draw a “trophy” unit...in any state. I’m pretty sure the answer is clear if you do the numbers :/
but hunts that take a good handful of points are awesome too :)

OP
street

street

WKR
It begs the question...can anybody who STARTS accumulating points NOW ever truly draw a “trophy” unit...in any state. I’m pretty sure the answer is clear if you do the numbers :/

Which is why I'm considering just applying for 0pt units and going after "decent" bucks haha

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for your replies guys. So I definitely misinterpreted when I read about the species applications. That makes much more sense now that you say it. Thanks.

And as far as applying for all species, that seems like the best route to go.
Just be aware, there are units in CO that you will NEVER catch up to with points by just now getting into the game. Don't waste your time chasing out of reach units when there are plenty of good units to hunt with just a handful of points, but even those are susceptible to point creep.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only in NM and Idaho which are pure lottery draws. Nevada you technically have a chance, albeit a very slim chance of drawing every year.

OP
street

street

WKR
Just be aware, there are units in CO that you will NEVER catch up to with points by just now getting into the game. Don't waste your time chasing out of reach units when there are plenty of good units to hunt with just a handful of points, but even those are susceptible to point creep.

Thanks, that is definitely what I am realizing with studying the draw odds and everything.

What I don't yet understand is why there is such a big demand for certain hunts and then hardly any in another on the same unit with same weapon. I understand people want the rut but is there more of a reason than that? Is it as simple as the big bucks are that hard to find and kill in the early season?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks, that is definitely what I am realizing with studying the draw odds and everything.

What I don't yet understand is why there is such a big demand for certain hunts and then hardly any in another on the same unit with same weapon. I understand people want the rut but is there more of a reason than that? Is it as simple as the big bucks are that hard to find and kill in the early season?
Pretty much. That and the perception that one tag is magical and the other isn't. The glory days are gone for a lot of units across the west, but people still cling to that belief.

The early hunt can be tough. You never know what to expect it could be 75 degrees or there could be 2 of snow. I would start high and work low when the hunt starts. Im out there frequently during the summer and have seen good bucks in the Big Springs area and blow down. FR 22 and 462 are good access points to the west side. If I had the tag Id probably be looking for 180 .

Nice pics also.