Hunt area etiquette

Conroy

WKR
Last year I took a buddy to small piece of public land, and told him that not many people know how to access this spot. He told me he understood and would only go there with me in the future. This past season there was a trail cam on the exact tree I had mine in the year before. I looked at it, but left it alone, it is public land. A week later my buddy calls me to tell me his friend had pictures of me on his cam. The day after I took him hunting there, he took the other guy there. Needless to say, that spot is not such a secret anymore

I think it can go far as even whole units out west - not just spots. I took a family member camping numerous times in areas he knows that I deer hunt. I got a text a few days ago that him and his buddy were going to put in for the unit this year. Now who knows who else his buddy is gonna tell about the unit.

I've also helped a few close friends get their biggest deer in this area and they never returned the favor. Not that they need to but theyve had opportunities to bring me places and they just never did. I think its better nowadays to not even let those people who you trust know where you hunt.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure, “as the thread is asking” I just remember Joe going off on a rant on several podcasts of not understanding how a person showing friend his secret honey hole on public land could ever get mad if the friend start hunting that spot himself afterwards.

Joe doesn’t put any value in the days spend hunting over the years to FIND and understand it’s a honey hole.

I’m thinking Joe must have burned a hunting buddy just doing that and now he’s trying to play it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only public land that I think he's ever hunted is in remote places like Alaska. I guess if I were a multi millionaire and could hunt San Carlos every year I might have the same attitude. "You peasants can have all that Colorado OTC nonsense."

bozeman

WKR
It's funny how that works. Had a guy post about moving out of state and was asking others to help him out on some hunting info for the new state he was moving to. For kicks, I sent a PM saying, 'since you are moving out of state and dont plan to hunt anymore where you currently live, do you mind helping me in the area you are moving from, kinda like you are asking the people for that you are moving to'........crickets.......its always we are outdoorsman and comradery until you need THEIR help.......to each his own. :)

FlyGuy

WKR
#2 in my case as we typically hunt together and most of our favorite spots were found while scouting together.

I really only hunt with three people including my wife. Our scouting, spots, and success/failure is an open book between us, but hunting with either friend is seperate (one is midwest based hunting while the other is western based). Both people are my closest friends and have been for well over 10 years. If either person ever wanted to bring someone else out such as friend or even their own family they would ask first just as I would if I wanted to bring someone new. Last year my one buddy wouldn't go out to our spots, even with the ideal conditions, because I was coming back to hunt in a week and he didn't want to burn the area. I told him multiple times to go out there, but he never did. It's not uncommon for us to argue with each other trying to get the other person to go to the better spot. He'd rather see me get a shot and I'd rather see him get a shot. I don't think we would ever let another local person hunt with us. We just have too much time and too many miles devoted to the areas we like to hunt.

In general I would trade my own valuable information (not something I scouted/hunted with a friend) in an out of state area for information that is valuable to me. That being said I have only done this twice. In both cases they were people I have never met in person. I've only used one person's information so far and I won't pass it on to anyone since they are still applying for that hunt/it isn't mine to share. I hope someday they will use the information I gave them.

You need to send those guys flowers every year. I’m kidding, but what I mean to say is invest in good hunting partners like that. It’s a special thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kilboars

WKR
The only public land that I think he's ever hunted is in remote places like Alaska. I guess if I were a multi millionaire and could hunt San Carlos every year I might have the same attitude. "You peasants can have all that Colorado OTC nonsense."

I may have been mistaken. Maybe he didn’t hunt it but just a concept of people getting mad at others hunting on public land honey holes that they told friends about.

It’s interesting the circle of “friends” these guys have now but I guess it’s a win win for them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk