Hunt auction question

Hey guys, I’m trying to setup a couple guided hunts over the next 5 years or so and looking at outfitters. My question is do the auction hunts typically go for less or more than the “hunt/item value” that is listed? I always thought it was less but recently heard differently. Any idea on a typical percentage less if it does go for cheaper?

Rich M

WKR
What kind of hunts are you looking for and where are you finding "auctions"?

There are great guides, good guides, fly by night guides, and the local dude wanting to make a buck.

You should steer yourself to the good to great guides. Most have a waiting list for a reason. The prices usually mean better hunt areas cause the established outfitters have leased up half the states.

The fellows who are offering trips for less than the market rate and have that much free time/space require some caution.

I've been on a couple guided trips and had fun. Friends have been on guided hunts too. A resounding trend is that long standing repeat customers get better hunts & game. One and done type folks get some opportunity but they won't go out of their way for them. BTDT The fishing guides down here (FL) do the same things.

Example - guy on elk hunt 10 guys in camp. There is a mountain off limits to the 5 guys in my friend's party but the head guide took the other 5 guys there and all took bulls. friend's group got put on stands and were not even allowed to pursue elk they saw working a close hillside - guide wouldn't take em or let em go. Guide had 50% success rate, so he sounds pretty good...

Be real careful who you give your money too - call references and ask for references that did not kill trophies.

Beendare

WKR
I've seen auction hunts go super cheap....and ridiculously overpriced. Some may think these folks that overpay are idiots......... but in reality it might be the reverse, its a tax deduction for some essentially getting the hunt at 1/2 of their bid price.

I bought a sheep hunt at auction years ago...and it was a cluster! I flew into the outfitters remote camp and there were 6 guys waiting to get out in the field. The outfitter Tom Shankster has since been nailed by the AKFG. I don't blame the non profit...I should have researched.

Long story but my advice is to do your own homework beforehand and don't assume that the organization doing the auction has done the work on this.

______

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I've been to a lot of events with auctioned off hunts and bought a couple. Most anything in North America will go for the actual price you would normally pay from my experience. Forget about getting a good deal on anything in AK. Over seas hunts will normally go for less unless it is like Muskox or Russian Brown Bears. Africa you could buy 3 or 4 hunts for the price of 1.

Also, make sure you read the fine print. Some don't include daily rates, require you to purchase extra days, don't include the kill/trophy fee. As stated above look at hunts coming up to auction and research the outfitters like you were going to buy the hunt normally. In my family we have probably bought 5 or 6 hunts at banquet auctions and every had good hunts and got pretty good deals.

Rich M

WKR
Now I see. My wife works at a nonprofit and they have had a few outfitters contact them about donating.

They researched em as best possible and they ultimately declined due to not being able to verify the outfitters. There were additional costs that would double the cost of the lowest auction value.

Guess it's a check it out and see how it feels.

MThuntr

WKR
I've seen auction hunts go super cheap....and ridiculously overpriced. Some may think these folks that overpay are idiots......... but in reality it might be the reverse, its a tax deduction for some essentially getting the hunt at 1/2 of their bid price.

I bought a sheep hunt at auction years ago...and it was a cluster! I flew into the outfitters remote camp and there were 6 guys waiting to get out in the field. The outfitter Tom Shankster has since been nailed by the AKFG. I don't blame the non profit...I should have researched.

Long story but my advice is to do your own homework beforehand and don't assume that the organization doing the auction has done the work on this.

______

Caveat emptor...technically purchasing an auction hunt (or any service or item really) cannot be fully deducted. Only the value OVER the fair market value is deductible. My tax guy slapped me with that fact a couple years ago after I spent a pile of $ at an NWTF banquet...almost none of my purchases qualified.

IRS Charity Auctions

OP
T
I gotcha, looks like it can be hit or miss. I’m going to DSC this year so I was looking over the auction hunts and fortunately they have a list of hunts and who the outfitters are so I’m starting to research already