Hunt Options for Fall 2021

huntcurs

FNG
I’m graduating veterinary school in the spring and my Dad and I are going hunting to celebrate. I’m trying to pick a hunt that meets a couple different criteria:

• DIY OTC or 0 point draw
  • Rifle or muzzleloader
  • Reasonable fitness level. Dad turns 60 next year and has some health issues, so full-on backcountry backpacking trip is probably not the best option. That said, at this time he’s in reasonable shape and willing to get better by next year if his health will hold up.
My parents have trail horses, so that’s a possibility (but may be more hassle than necessary).

My thought at this point is a 2nd season CO elk hunt, but we’re flexible and just looking for an adventure!

What comes to mind with those stipulations?

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
This is an Internet forum, surely someone has an opinion!

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Do you hunt with Curs? And what type of curs do you use and what type of game do they tree.
As far as your question, I would apply for unit in western Colorado that you can draw with zero preference points. I used to hunt the 1st rifle season for elk and had good luck. Secondly, apply for a 2nd season deer tag that takes 0 points. Reduced cow/calf tags in Wyoming are are good option with good success rates. The state websites have all the information you will need to answer your questions on drawing a tag, harvest stat’s, and public land.

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
Do you hunt with Curs? And what type of curs do you use and what type of game do they tree.
As far as your question, I would apply for unit in western Colorado that you can draw with zero preference points. I used to hunt the 1st rifle season for elk and had good luck. Secondly, apply for a 2nd season deer tag that takes 0 points. Reduced cow/calf tags in Wyoming are are good option with good success rates. The state websites have all the information you will need to answer your questions on drawing a tag, harvest stat’s, and public land.
I don’t currently have a cur, but I did own a Ladner Blackmouth Cur that was an awesome squirrel and coon dog. I will have another one in a couple years.

I have been trying to interpret the CO website and am digging in. Thank you very much for the help! I didn’t realize we could get drawn for a first rifle hunt with zero points, or a deer tag for that matter, so I’ll keep digging on those.

OP
huntcurs

huntcurs

FNG
North to Alaska! Go Epic

caribou

That‘s on the bucket list! The one and only out of state hunt my dad has done was for caribou so I’m trying to do something different for this trip. Then again, Alaska would be pretty awesome...

I don’t currently have a cur, but I did own a Ladner Blackmouth Cur that was an awesome squirrel and coon dog. I will have another one in a couple years.

I have been trying to interpret the CO website and am digging in. Thank you very much for the help! I didn’t realize we could get drawn for a first rifle hunt with zero points, or a deer tag for that matter, so I’ll keep digging on those.

draw results at the link above.

Laramie

WKR
Colorado is likely your best option but may be worth looking at Montana... Keep in mind, you are asking a very broad question on a forum where people with good information have no desire to publicize said information. If they did, it wouldn't be good information any longer.

Wisco2020

FNG
Try and get a deer tag for Montana or even the Elk/deer tag. Little speedier than some states and not guaranteed to draw but Colorado elk OTC could be your back up plan from this.

I second Alaska. Can’t beat it for DIY adventure. Kodiak deer and fishing is an absolute blast, high success hunt. Many air taxi options, long season Aug-Dec (I would focus on last 2 weeks of aug-first two of sept to DIY tent) there is a small caribou herd as well can combo deer/bou fish!

Hello soon-to-be-fellow-veterinarian! From which school will you be graduating? That may determine how much help I give. I'd look at a first Rifle tag in Colorado as mentioned above.

Jimbob

WKR
Did a backcountry elk hunt with my Dad almost 10 years ago. We trained hard, did as much e-scouting as possible and got our gear squared away well in advance. The DRIVE was the best part, just something about driving cross country and seeing things together. On the way home, by pure chance, we were in Iowa and last minute decided to catch the Hawkeye's home opener (football).

So my advice is drive somewhere far away and enjoy every aspect of the hunt. Enjoy.

hubbs77

FNG
Might as well put in for a draw CO or MT and then if you don't draw fall back on CO OTC. There are a few states if you enter the draw and don't draw you recieve the $$ back minus the app fee (MT included). At least if you don't draw CO you already have the license in the state your gonna OTC hunt.