Hunt Partner - Papa Bear Advent., Bethel, AK 9/9/19 - 9/16/19

I don’t rate hunts with tape measures. I don’t know the antler spread and don’t need to know the spread. I got more than my investment in time, money, and sweat and that’s what I will remember for my remaining years. Again, PBA does a great job. Solid A rating for them!

Regardless of what they are you made it happen and you must be so proud you did. 2 great looking bull, a bunch of meat and memories that’ll last a lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
I agree totally that's how I roll.I was looking at going to a 50" area and want to start practicing judging width.
I don’t rate hunts with tape measures. I don’t know the antler spread and don’t need to know the spread. I got more than my investment in time, money, and sweat and that’s what I will remember for my remaining years. Again, PBA does a great job. Solid A rating for them!

mooster

WKR
Thanks for sharing. Great bulls, BTW, The width measurement would help newbies like me test, learn field judging.

Congrats on great bulls and a great trip. Thanks for circling back and posting pictures and outiftter experience.

Guss we will never know & it's hard to judge but I'm going to guess the narrower one between 50 & 55" (Actual guess 53") & the wider one between 60 & 65" (guessing 64").
Either one are wonderful bulls that I would be proud of!

decrooj

FNG
Congrats! Nice bulls. Glad to see you found a hunt partner that would follow through on here ended up having a great, successful trip!

I rate my hunts by freezer fill :)

Elk guy

FNG
You may want to give guys a ballpark cost estimate of what a hunt like this might cost, help determine who is really interested and who isn't in a position to do it at this time. Hope you find a partner and have a great hunt.
I just looked into a hunt with PB. The next opening is 2023 with this "draw" and the price quoted to me was a ball park. They said $10k - $12k for a drop camp. You have to add about $2k to this price to get there and back. This has always been a dream of mine like many of you guys, but I'm going to have to settle for a Newfoundland moose.

AKBorn

WKR
I just looked into a hunt with PB. The next opening is 2023 with this "draw" and the price quoted to me was a ball park. They said $10k - $12k for a drop camp. You have to add about $2k to this price to get there and back. This has always been a dream of mine like many of you guys, but I'm going to have to settle for a Newfoundland moose.

I hear you - hang in there and keep saving. I didn't start hunting remote AK until I was 40, and will turn 60 this year. You may get to do it yet!

OP
TheGrayRider
We paid $4,500 base each in 2019 with PBA. I heard that prices were going up to $10,000 to $12,000 base soon. Renfro’s probably went up also. Nothing cheap any more!

I really think the Alaska Game and Fish should consider stopping transporters from over charging hunters for drop hunts.. Their not charging their normal transporter rates but over charging the moose hunters, almost the cost of a guided rate. Their basically acting like a outfitter by providing the location, gear, meat care and lodging before and after. Let's be honest its basically a guided hunt without someone in the field. An outfitter would lose his license if he did this.

OP
TheGrayRider
Picked up Alaska-Yukon moose from 2019 hunt outside Bethel, Alaska last week. I sometimes question my sanity. “What have I gotten myself into now?”

Very blessed and happy but my moose hunting career is officially over! Rabbit and dove-sized game is much easier to handle in the field and back in civilization. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.D8154C81-89EA-4CA2-B35F-283ECB1229D7.jpeg6DFF0B22-D54F-4D81-92A2-D2F8E7C81535.jpeg

mooster

WKR
Picked up Alaska-Yukon moose from 2019 hunt outside Bethel, Alaska last week. I sometimes question my sanity. “What have I gotten myself into now?”

Very blessed and happy but my moose hunting career is officially over! Rabbit and dove-sized game is much easier to handle in the field and back in civilization. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.View attachment 391082View attachment 391083
Very nice. Congrats