Hunt planner vs. Transporter vs. Air Taxi

Thomas11

WKR
So it sounds to me if u want the most affortable option hire an air taxi vs a transporter? It’s like half the price from what I can tell. This is a hunt I want to do myself in the very near future. All my hunts are DIY. I kinda actually like the idea of picking my spot and telling the air taxi where I want to be dropped off vs a “known” hunting area. I get it could be a bust but half the adventure here for me is the unknown of a area.

So it sounds to me if u want the most affortable option hire an air taxi vs a transporter? It’s like half the price from what I can tell. This is a hunt I want to do myself in the very near future. All my hunts are DIY. I kinda actually like the idea of picking my spot and telling the air taxi where I want to be dropped off vs a “known” hunting area. I get it could be a bust but half the adventure here for me is the unknown of a area.

Undoubtedly less expensive to hire a simple air taxi. But like hiring a taxi in NYC, it's 100% on you to know where you want to go, and that he'll (taxi) be able to get you there. Unless you have some sort of advance knowledge of the exact location (all its variables) you'll be hoping there are moose....that you're alone ....that you brought the right gear ....and so on. I'm with you on anticipating the unknown 100%. My one caveat is that a 10-12 day 'bust' can become a very long camping trip punctuated by day hikes and meals.

Thomas11

WKR
Undoubtedly less expensive to hire a simple air taxi. But like hiring a taxi in NYC, it's 100% on you to know where you want to go, and that he'll (taxi) be able to get you there. Unless you have some sort of advance knowledge of the exact location (all its variables) you'll be hoping there are moose....that you're alone ....that you brought the right gear ....and so on. I'm with you on anticipating the unknown 100%. My one caveat is that a 10-12 day 'bust' can become a very long camping trip punctuated by day hikes and meals.
Kevin, I totally agree with the 10 days no moose could get frustrating. I have no knowledge on any areas there yet. Just kinda starting my research. Ive hunted elk multiple states all DIY and always seem to have success. I’m experienced w backpack hunts but I know this adventure is a totally different animal. I’d love to talk w you sometime about it all.

OP
T
Kevin, I totally agree with the 10 days no moose could get frustrating. I have no knowledge on any areas there yet. Just kinda starting my research. Ive hunted elk multiple states all DIY and always seem to have success. I’m experienced w backpack hunts but I know this adventure is a totally different animal. I’d love to talk w you sometime about it all.
Elk hunts dont require you to fly into an area. That variable right there makes it almost impossible for a guy like me to pick a spot. I may narrow down an area and then come to find out there is no feasible way to land a plane. Or, if I could get dropped into the area and it sucks, my hunt cost doubled if I am able to get flown to a new spot, or I just had one expensive camping trip. When I elk hunt, if I am not seeing elk, I go back to my truck and drive to another location.

Lastly, narrowing down an area to elk hunt is tough just by looking at maps, but doable. Finding decent elk habitat in a 500,000 acre national forest isn't hard. Narrowing down a place to find moose in a GMU the size of Michigan is damn near impossible without some prior knowledge.

But, all is not lost. I have some good leads thanks to some generous people.

So the recent posts show why BGTs (Big Game Transporters) exist. They fill the gap between a simple air taxi and using an outfitter or hunt planners which offer more complete services, but at additional costs which are of course perfectly reasonable. Which one you choose may be determined by your experience, independence, confidence, determination, and size of wallet. Money buys things everywhere and Alaska is no different. Each step up in service from basic air taxi to full-on guided hunt will cost extra money. One-and-done moose hunters tend to spend more I think, where those who go frequently are typically spending less to get their gear and themselves into moose camp.

Thomas11

WKR
Elk hunts dont require you to fly into an area. That variable right there makes it almost impossible for a guy like me to pick a spot. I may narrow down an area and then come to find out there is no feasible way to land a plane. Or, if I could get dropped into the area and it sucks, my hunt cost doubled if I am able to get flown to a new spot, or I just had one expensive camping trip. When I elk hunt, if I am not seeing elk, I go back to my truck and drive to another location.

Lastly, narrowing down an area to elk hunt is tough just by looking at maps, but doable. Finding decent elk habitat in a 500,000 acre national forest isn't hard. Narrowing down a place to find moose in a GMU the size of Michigan is damn near impossible without some prior knowledge.

But, all is not lost. I have some good leads thanks to some generous people.
No I get what your saying for sure. Everything u say is so true

moviebuff

FNG
Dad and I just got back from a blacktail hunting Raspberry and Afognak Island. Now we have the Alaska bug bad and Dad wants to go on a moose hunt before he is too old (his words). I have already put some research into this but now I am in high gear.

I know it's down right impossible to get in with the good transporters anytime soon. Earliest we would be going to hunt is 2021, but 2022 is more likely. I have already called a couple of the more well-known transporters and the conversations are pretty much the same "All booked up for a few years, put you on the waitlist." One transporter did have a slot in 2022, but I am struggling with the idea of paying nearly $10k/person for a DIY drop camp hunt.

Their are plenty of air taxis out there whom I could probably get a spot with, but with them I have to know EXACTLY where I want to go. I'm from North Carolina, so figuring out exactly where I want to be dropped for moose is damn near impossible task.

So, now I am looking at hunt planners. Never thought of using a hunt planner before, but the more I research, the more I am intrigued by the option. I know a couple planners frequent Rokslide, and their are many members on here who have used them or know some hunt planners real well. Thought I would try to pick some of y'alls brains. PM is fine if you don't want to share information publicly. I'm just looking for experiences or personal opinions on the matter. This is a serious endeavor to me. Dropping $7-8k on a hunt is not something I can take lightly, but I am willing to pay for the right service/experience.
Hey Time Killer - I read this forum but joined specifically to ask you a few questions. We have read a bit about the time you spent researching hunting moose in Alaska. Sounds like we are in the same boat as you, only about one year behind ya. I know you narrowed down your plans to three "outfitters" or fly-in base camp types. Is there a way for you to send me a private message? I am curious of what more have you learned. I do not think you have gone on your trip yet. I actually own a small deer hunting operation in Kentucky, but am a full-time teacher. I just enjoy doing the food plotting - people paying me is a bonus. Anyway, good luck on your hunt...I would love to hear about your experience. If you can, get back to me somehow. I can be reached at owner at huntingkentuckydeer and at a dot with a com(e) after that. We are not high dollar guys. $7,000 DIY sounds great, which probably mean $10,000 lol. I would love to have a chance at a carribou, with a 55" moose being the goal. Not interested in the extra work of floating. Thanks so much for any consideration of commuting with me. If you live near Kentucky, after your hunt, you can "guide" me to what you think is best...and come hunt my place for free (late season of course..sorry... my food plots are more effective then but I still have to cater to paying customers first...lol.. but free cabin use too. All stands, elevated box blinds, 5 auto corn feeders etc. will be running...again...no selling a hunt to you...that is me telling you how much I would appreciate your feedback.)

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
I was overwhelmed by trying to plan my first (solo) moose hunt to AK for this year. I started two years ago and got so insecure about trying to plan this out that I hired a planner. For me, big mistake. Got little if any real info that wasn't readily accessible from this site or others. Had very little interaction and when we did connect he ended up rehashing most of the verbiage, nearly word for word, from some articles he had written. Very nice guy. Just again, for me, a waste of 1500.
If your hunt is more than a year out, there is plenty of help here and in books to get you where you need to be.
BTW, my hunt was great despite not getting a moose. Counting cubs, saw 11 griz and 1 black bear, 2 bulls and a cow. I was out for 12 days and would have could have stayed longer if life(wife) would have allowed.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
...If your hunt is more than a year out, there is plenty of help here and in books to get you where you need to be.
BTW, my hunt was great despite not getting a moose. Counting cubs, saw 11 griz and 1 black bear, 2 bulls and a cow. I was out for 12 days and would have could have stayed longer if life(wife) would have allowed.

I was wondering how your hunt went sir. I'm very glad to hear that you had a great adventure and life experience...in the end that's what it's all about! The wx in our area this year was challenging and prohibitive for pretty much half of the two-weeks we were out, but we managed to bring one bull home...almost two, which is our typical.

Hopefully you get up here again. Stay healthy!

Last edited:

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering how your hunt went sir. I'm very glad to hear that you had a great adventure and life experience...in the end is what it's all about! The wx in our area this year was challenging and prohibitive for pretty much half of the two-weeks we were out, but we managed to bring one bull home...almost two, which is our typical.

Hopefully you get up here again. Stay healthy!
Thanks Doc. You were one of the reasons I was able to enjoy my hunt. Thanks for all your help, direct and indirect.
I hope to come back again. The wife had a really hard time with me being off the grid for so long. The inreach helped but it'll take some time and lovin to get another adventure.;)

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Doc. You were one of the reasons I was able to enjoy my hunt. Thanks for all your help, direct and indirect.
I hope to come back again. The wife had a really hard time with me being off the grid for so long. The inreach helped but it'll take some time and lovin to get another adventure.;)
Very kind of you to say that Herbie...always glad to help. Time always moves differently for me in the field...two-weeks comes and goes so fast, but I know it seems like a longer period of time for my wife when I'm gone.

...apology to the OP for my topic drift.

moviebuff

FNG
I was overwhelmed by trying to plan my first (solo) moose hunt to AK for this year. I started two years ago and got so insecure about trying to plan this out that I hired a planner. For me, big mistake. Got little if any real info that wasn't readily accessible from this site or others. Had very little interaction and when we did connect he ended up rehashing most of the verbiage, nearly word for word, from some articles he had written. Very nice guy. Just again, for me, a waste of 1500.
If your hunt is more than a year out, there is plenty of help here and in books to get you where you need to be.
I am thinking the transporters will not "poach" on top of the better pre-set camps by outfitters. They will not fly to areas and land near full-time outfitters since outfitters send most of their business to transporters. Any opinion? Were you anywhere need a full-time guide / camp / outpost?

AKBorn

WKR
Hey Time Killer - I read this forum but joined specifically to ask you a few questions. We have read a bit about the time you spent researching hunting moose in Alaska. Sounds like we are in the same boat as you, only about one year behind ya. I know you narrowed down your plans to three "outfitters" or fly-in base camp types. Is there a way for you to send me a private message? I am curious of what more have you learned. I do not think you have gone on your trip yet. I actually own a small deer hunting operation in Kentucky, but am a full-time teacher. I just enjoy doing the food plotting - people paying me is a bonus. Anyway, good luck on your hunt...I would love to hear about your experience. If you can, get back to me somehow. I can be reached at owner at huntingkentuckydeer and at a dot with a com(e) after that. We are not high dollar guys. $7,000 DIY sounds great, which probably mean $10,000 lol. I would love to have a chance at a carribou, with a 55" moose being the goal. Not interested in the extra work of floating. Thanks so much for any consideration of commuting with me. If you live near Kentucky, after your hunt, you can "guide" me to what you think is best...and come hunt my place for free (late season of course..sorry... my food plots are more effective then but I still have to cater to paying customers first...lol.. but free cabin use too. All stands, elevated box blinds, 5 auto corn feeders etc. will be running...again...no selling a hunt to you...that is me telling you how much I would appreciate your feedback.)
Just a note that while SEEING moose and caribou on the same hunt is quite typical, it is not as easy to HUNT both of them on the same hunt. As a broad generalization, moose often like thicker wetter areas, while caribou like to move and are often found on drier ridgetop areas where the lichen they eat grows. And if you are a bowhunter, that makes it tougher still. People do it, but it isn't easy....just wanted to toss that out to possibly help with expectations.

MNGaryB

FNG
It is quite amazing how much a booming economy affects prices of hunting. I have read through every single thread on the moose forum. Just 5 years ago, well known Unit 18 transporters were charging $4000/person. Now they are more than double that. One thread had an individual who stated he had a DIY moose budget of "$6500, all in" and many forum members told him "that's great budget, you will be just fine." Fast forward to 2019/2020 and $6500 probably won't even get you a transporter!! Dang you, Trump, why did you have to go fix the economy!!
That will change very quick if grandpa gets in!

Dorny

FNG
You guys have already said most of what I can offer. But I'll do it anyway.

I picked the GMU i wanted to hunt, and even picked certain lakes in the GMU I wanted to land on based on their size and the ability to land a beaver there. Wanted a beaver so we could have our 3 guys(2 hunters and 1 observer) and not be limited by weight for camp. After finding the lakes, called around to every air service within 100 miles and found a transporter that charged us flat rates per flight. All in, including flights to AK, food, lodging, transport, 2 moose extractions, etc, the whole trip cost us about $7K each. Taxidermy was extra!

We got lucky. The terrain around the lake created a superb funnel. we sat still on a point, glassing and calling for 5 days. Ended up with 58" and 55" moose. This was our first trip to AK, and it took 3 years to plan. Good luck!
IMG_5148.JPGDSC04469.JPG

Voyageur

WKR
You guys have already said most of what I can offer. But I'll do it anyway.

I picked the GMU i wanted to hunt, and even picked certain lakes in the GMU I wanted to land on based on their size and the ability to land a beaver there. Wanted a beaver so we could have our 3 guys(2 hunters and 1 observer) and not be limited by weight for camp. After finding the lakes, called around to every air service within 100 miles and found a transporter that charged us flat rates per flight. All in, including flights to AK, food, lodging, transport, 2 moose extractions, etc, the whole trip cost us about $7K each. Taxidermy was extra!

We got lucky. The terrain around the lake created a superb funnel. we sat still on a point, glassing and calling for 5 days. Ended up with 58" and 55" moose. This was our first trip to AK, and it took 3 years to plan. Good luck!
View attachment 246853View attachment 246854
Sounds like you did good.
Not to derail the thread, but.....a question for the guys with experience: in the bottom picture on the moose's right brow palm, is that 4 or 5 brow tines? Reasoning?
I'm testing my judgement and looking to learn.
Thanks.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I appreciate your question Voyageur...and it will be interesting to hear what others say.

From that angle I'd call it 5 brow-tines on each side. On that right side, counting brow-tines from left to right in the picture, the gap between the 4th and 5th brow-tines does drop down low, but it looks to me that palmation doesn't really begin until after that fifth brow-tine.

Sounds like you did good.
Not to derail the thread, but.....a question for the guys with experience: in the bottom picture on the moose's right brow palm, is that 4 or 5 brow tines? Reasoning?
I'm testing my judgement and looking to learn.
Thanks.
I'm far from an expert. I'd call that furthest right tine a bay tine. So I would say that's a 4 brow tine right side.

Attachments

• 70575686_2674032012630497_3387158222061174784_o.jpg
    70575686_2674032012630497_3387158222061174784_o.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24