Hunt planning Alaska Outdoors

OP
H

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
You're getting some great information sir...hang in there and don't give up!
Is it the adventure, is it the experience of hunting for moose, is it to take a monster, etc.? - I seek the adventure, the remote solitude, getting away from the world of people, being in the world of the animals that I am hunting, and bringing back moose meat.

If you seek the adventure and experience of a remote Alaskan moose hunt, then the size of the bull is really not a factor...as long as it's legal! I apologize for being long-winded this morning. I'll rest my comments now as you listen to the advice of others here.

Please don't apologize for being "long winded". I am trying to do my best imitation of a sponge and soak up everthing that comes my way. Especially when it's from experience and so eloquently put.

I include the parts of your post that pertain to the kind of experience I'm looking for. You, Aldo Leopold, Fred Bear and others are able to say what moves me to hunt far better than I am capable of writing.

I am very grateful for the advice and the time it takes all of you to read and reply to questions.

HuntinMD

FNG
Sir, if you are 59 years old then I have to assume you've also embraced a more conservative approach to life...?

What I know Strahan can do for a like-minded group is give them good conservative advise on where to hunt and how guys like him pursue a safe enjoyable trip. He's not a minimalist like me. His rafts are heavier than they need to be, but they are sound. His pilots complain that his groups come with too much gear, but few hunters complain about his advice. He lives outside the US, but his experience is vast, especially with logistics, IMO. If he recommends an area, it's paid off for hunters in the past. He's not a crook. He has a conscience, and I respect his knowledge.

However...the Alaska landscape (politically and land-rights related) is changing faster than Strahan (or I) will be able to manage from afar. If you book with him in the next 3-5 years I think you're good to go on specifics he can offer. But beyond that Alaska's access to public lands will become more challenging for hunters, causing a congestion or concentration on once remote options. This year alone I lost 5 spots to re-discovery and pressure. I'm having to get creative to call myself a Hunt Planner by managing revenue streams that have longer gevity if you know what I mean...

Beyond BLM's protocal to return public lands (42% of the state of Alaska) to Native Groups and individuals on fast track since 2004, Native groups have ownership in development egendas for Alaska and politicians have a working fluid motion with processes that do not compliment non-native hunter gatherers. It's a booming energy that will soon culminate in a tremendous turmoil for non-local, non-native DIY hunters all over the state.

I digress...if you are conservative minded and are willing to plan your own logistics Mike will serve you well. Be clear with your goals and ask for references for that specific trip. Stay aware of socio-political issues that affect your hunting rights in your area. ADFG, BLM, and the Federal Subsistence Board are three good references for current issues affecting hunters.

good luck, go prepared
Larry, I would like to talk to you about hiring your hunt planning services for an AK moose/ caribou hunt if you aren’t to booked. I have read your book and was very impressed. Kevin

HuntinMD

FNG
Anyone ever used, or know of anyone that has used M. Strahan's hunt planning service for diy moose? Or something similar?
It's expensive but seems it might be worth it to reduce the learning curve.
Her or, I would be interested in how things turned out for you in 18 in ‘19? How did you get in touch with M. Strahan? Do you have a #? I would like his advise on trip planning for ‘22 Kevin

HuntinMD

FNG
Ive met Mike up here and his service is good. So is Pristine Ventures/Larry Bartlett. You could also contact one of the flight services ie Papa Bear out of Bethel and they can put together a package for you. Im fortunate enough to live in Alaska, so haven't needed a service, but have flown with Papa Bear and am again in September.
Hugh.
Anyone know the cause of Micheal's death this summer? In his absence who woul you use for hunt planning now? Larry is booked out too far and won't respond anyway. Kevin

gbflyer

WKR
Anyone know the cause of Micheal's death this summer? In his absence who woul you use for hunt planning now? Larry is booked out too far and won't respond anyway. Kevin

I am under the impression that MS contracted the Covid, whether or not that was the cause or a complication I don’t know. It did take him quickly whatever it was. He was a nice guy and will be missed on the forum. Couldn’t tell you about a hunt planner, sorry.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi Kevin, I'm sorry if i haven't reached out, I usually do pretty quickly. Try again if we haven't spoken since your post.

Yes, Mike died of comps from COVID. He and his wife Linda relocated to Costa Rica for her health a few years ago. He got the virus and fought it briefly.

I haven't heard anything about his Hunt Planner service or who is or isn't running his online business. Sorry I can't help there.

good luck.