Hunt "The Best General Units in Wyoming" Every Year

I can't post in classifieds yet so I'll just leave this here and see what you guys think...

I travel for work so this year I decided to move out of my apartment in Salt Lake and buy a place in Wyoming so that I could change my residency. I'm curious if anybody else would be interested in doing something similar and renting rooms from me. You have to live there a year before you are a resident so you'd have to get in before the January elk application to use any points you might have so they don't go to waste. I can't return PMs yet but if you send me your numbers I can get in touch with you.

I killed the deer in 2017 on a general tag and the elk this year on a general tag.

So this is something to be really cautious about. Wyoming has a strict definition of residency for hunting purposes that includes a long time period of physically being present in the state. Buying property in the state is far from sufficient. Wyoming will slam you if you get it wrong.

While a court may some day agree that Wyoming's residency definition is unconstitutional, that would be a tough road to win and involve lots of $$$$$$$ to fight. States have won over and over in challenges regarding discrimination against non-residents in hunting tag prices.

OP
T
I don't own or rent any other residence so without it technically I'm homeless and could claim residency in no state. I appreciate the feedback and will definitely look further into it. I have a Wyoming drivers license and receive all my mail there. I don't spend every day there because of work but as far as I know I am a resident.

OP
T
I have only seen some of his shows on Netflix but never listened to his podcast. What does it talk about??

JWP58

WKR
As someone who is planning on drawing a G tag in the next couple years, it was kind of heartbreaking when Rinella said in 2 years it will be even more amazing. It's hard to believe him saying that won't single handedly have an impact in application numbers for the next few years

Yep, nothing like hot spotting to the 10th degree.

7d884c81f0e0c4b7db7f1a22073086c9.jpg

I burned 8 points this year. Hunting was so-so, but the country never disappoints.

Kind of crazy that residents can hunt it every year on a general tag. I’m envious for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
I can't post in classifieds yet so I'll just leave this here and see what you guys think...

I travel for work so this year I decided to move out of my apartment in Salt Lake and buy a place in Wyoming so that I could change my residency. I'm curious if anybody else would be interested in doing something similar and renting rooms from me. You have to live there a year before you are a resident so you'd have to get in before the January elk application to use any points you might have so they don't go to waste. I can't return PMs yet but if you send me your numbers I can get in touch with you.

I killed the deer in 2017 on a general tag and the elk this year on a general tag.
View attachment 132845View attachment 132847View attachment 132848
This is not good for anyone. I’ve helped a few folks on rokslide and been helped by a few folks on rokslide. Anyone participating in this shit is not helping the face of hunting. I don’t know the original poster and don’t want to make any personal comments at him, but this shouldn’t happen in general and in my opinion shouldn’t be posted on rokslide as an advertisement by someone who just joined the sight.

P.S.
I believe this would be a public announcement of intent do something illegal or at the least very scrupulous. 😉

hmmmmmmm where is the problem? if you spend 180 outside of the state you lose resident status, spells it out clearly. simply owning land or listing an address does not qualify. after this post i would expect a call from wyoming game and fish.

Who is a Resident?
Resident means: "a United States citizen or legal alien who meets the requirements specified in § 23-1-107 and rules of the Game and Fish Commission."

A person shall lose residency in Wyoming if the person moves to another state, territory or country and makes it his or her domicile, or if the person temporarily resides in any other state, territory, or country for an aggregate of one hundred eighty (180) days or more in a calendar year, unless he or she qualifies as one of the following:

• A minor dependent
• Is temporarily employed in the service of the United States
• Is a patient at a hospital or institution
• Is attending school
• Is an active duty member of the armed forces
• Is serving full time in an established volunteer service

(Refer to § 23-1-107 and WGFC Regulation Chapter 44 for detailed requirements).What is Domicile?
Domicile means: "That place where a person has his true, fixed and permanent home to which, whenever a person is temporarily absent, the person has the intention of returning."

Having a mailing address, owning property or a business, or being employed in Wyoming shall not alone prove Wyoming residency or domicile.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
As someone who is planning on drawing a G tag in the next couple years, it was kind of heartbreaking when Rinella said in 2 years it will be even more amazing. It's hard to believe him saying that won't single handedly have an impact in application numbers for the next few years

I agree, I was really disappointed when I heard that podcast and I have been a fan since his first book came out. This isnt the first time meateater blabs about specific units or regions.

I don’t quite understand what everyone is upset about here. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it seems like since he has to travel for his job (as opposed to go to an office/workplace like most) he has the ability to retain his job and live anywhere he wants. The way I read the OP was that he has decided that since he likes hunting Wyoming so much, he ought to just live there since his current employment/lifestyle allows him to make that change. He never says anything about claiming residency in two states or secretly living in Utah still as far as I can tell.

NDGuy

WKR
Lol the internet astounds me sometimes. Why do any of you post units/regions on the internet it's crazy.

That's crazy Meateater said that, really disappointing.