Hunt "The Best General Units in Wyoming" Every Year

NoWiser

WKR
I bailed on my Region G dreams last year with 5 points. I wanted to hunt mulies with my dad and figured by the time we drew it he may not be able to enjoy that country. So, we went elsewhere and I shot a great buck. I'll never catch back up to Region G starting from scratch now, but it's still disappointing that Steve mentions specific locations. From their social media posts it was pretty obvious that's where they were, and it's not like G is a big secret, but I still think it's in poor taste and unnecessary to mention specific tags they are hunting. It may not hurt the point creep all that much, but it certainly won't HELP.

NDGuy

WKR
wait holy crap unit G is good? i never knew... next thing you know the word will get out about Unit 2 in colorado. i know another great secret I am going to break here, Book Cliffs. but dont tell anyone. its a secret
Laugh all you want but it's true. I get that some places aren't "secret" but 100s or 1000s of additional eyes catching things by typing in "Best Mule Deer/Elk/Antelope" unit in XX state does make a difference. All the sudden a unit taking 3 points takes 6, a 6 point unit takes 10, a 10 point unit now takes 20.. you get my point?

Whether or not it impacts it more than a podcast, Go Hunt, Eastman's etc? Doubtful but doesn't help.

Also don't you think those areas at one point were areas you could hunt a lot more frequently before they became the centerpieces of every hunting and fishing forum, website, magazine?

Last edited:

street

WKR
I am definitely believing in what robby has said about hunting the same average unit every year is the ticket, especially now days when specific units and states are pretty much advertised. It seems like the mass urban development and boom of social media into the hunting world has localized these units and made them more desirable. Maybe at some point the units desirability will flatten out, who knows.

Bambistew

WKR
I have a friend that got popped for working/living in another state for 1.5 years but hunting as a resident in another. He never changed his residency, and his work assignment was only for the 1.5 years. He wasn't physically in the state for the required 180 days, and was gone for months at a time. That was the catch. If your job makes you travel for shorter periods of time, I would think it would be pretty difficult to say you are not a resident, since like you said you'd be homeless, more or less.

The legal definition of resident is different for hunting purposes than the regular default definition that essentially requires only presence with intent to remain.

States can put all kinds of additional requirements for residency including physical presence, waiting periods, etc.

Someone, potentially the OP, could theoretically be a hunting resident of zero states where they don’t meet physical presence requirements.

Rich M

WKR
He said he was gonna get a place and rent rooms so folks can claim residency for hunting permits.

Thats what is wrong with it. He put illegal ideas in folks heads to make a profit.

He's not what I'd call a law biding individual.

He said he was gonna get a place and rent rooms so folks can claim residency for hunting permits.

Thats what is wrong with it. He put illegal ideas in folks heads to make a profit.

He's not what I'd call a law biding individual.
I suppose you could read into it that way, but I took it as him offering rooms to guys who are in a similar position as himself. He does also say that they’d have to live there for a year for a year before applying as a resident.

Michael54

WKR
I suppose you could read into it that way, but I took it as him offering rooms to guys who are in a similar position as himself. He does also say that they’d have to live there for a year for a year before applying as a resident.
I took it as a room for rent add for guys that want to move to wyoming as well.

I also took it, that the original poster was offering a way to help single, young guys in a similar situation a budget friendly way to legitimately and permanently move to Wyoming. Y’all got your panties in a bunch over nothing IMO 😂😂

Do it yourself, keep it to yourself. Seems like you are smiling about pulling a fast one, and recruiting others to do something a bit "off-center", even if it is legal (technically). When you advertise on a site like this... a bit asinine to be honest.

HOT ROD

WKR
I don't like this at all... I have a couple extra rooms to rent... Any one want to be a Wyoming resident...

OP
T
First off, I would like to apologize for pimping out a unit that anybody is applying for. Even if the impact in negligible I know better and changed the title accordingly. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM will I intentionally do anything illegal when it comes to hunting. I have a lot of big buck killing years ahead of me and if I have to find a new job and wait another year, so be it. I hunted Wyoming for the First time when I was 16 and so far in my hunting career nothing has compared. It has been a 10 year dream of mine to do what I'm doing without screwing my financial future. If I was cruising Rokslide when I was 20 and saw a post from a like-minded guy that was willing to give me a cheap place to stay until I could get on my feet, I would have started packing boxes that day. So no, the place is not available to somebody just willing to pay to play. If you aren't dumb enough to quit your job and move to another state then don't bother getting in touch with me. I appreciate everybody's feedback and will definitely be communicating with the Game and Fish before purchasing or applying for any Resident tags.

First off, I would like to apologize for pimping out a unit that anybody is applying for. Even if the impact in negligible I know better and changed the title accordingly. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM will I intentionally do anything illegal when it comes to hunting. I have a lot of big buck killing years ahead of me and if I have to find a new job and wait another year, so be it. I hunted Wyoming for the First time when I was 16 and so far in my hunting career nothing has compared. It has been a 10 year dream of mine to do what I'm doing without screwing my financial future. If I was cruising Rokslide when I was 20 and saw a post from a like-minded guy that was willing to give me a cheap place to stay until I could get on my feet, I would have started packing boxes that day. So no, the place is not available to somebody just willing to pay to play. If you aren't dumb enough to quit your job and move to another state then don't bother getting in touch with me. I appreciate everybody's feedback and will definitely be communicating with the Game and Fish before purchasing or applying for any Resident tags.

I applaud your mature and considerate response. Learn the law, comply with it as you seem fully willing to do, and go shoot some big animals. Good luck.

The rules for residency can really screw a guy with no ill intentions.

For about a decade i relocated around the country for construction projects. The duration Id be on each project was never set in stone and I flew home for 5 day weekends once every 3 weeks. It's pretty shitty if the law makes it so you can't legitimately claim residency in any state for fishing/hunting purposes because of frequent work relocation.

A ND game warden once staked out my house for hours before approaching my friend who owned it because he was sure I was cheating the system. That year I paid ND taxes on income I earned in FL and TX who don't have income taxes. Had non-resident hunting/fishing licenses in CA, MN, TX, and probably a few other states to prove I was not double dipping and I still think they only dropped it because I am friends with a different warden who could confirm my situation.

FURMAN

WKR
We have a lot of contract jobs in my line of work. For those who are contracting it would be impossible to claim residency in any state if they all followed WY. I am not a lawyer but I guess I see domiciled as the true definition not how one state decides to bend it. If I only have one house and that is my permanent residence, where my mail is sent, the address on my drivers license, that is my home. Just because I have to travel for work does not change where I am domiciled.

wapitibob

WKR
If he meets the residency req of WGF he'll be fine, and they're pretty clear. It is also very possible to not be a resident in any state for hunting purposes.

"To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, preference point, permit or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing or trapping licenses, etc.) during that one (1) year period. "

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who is planning on drawing a G tag in the next couple years, it was kind of heartbreaking when Rinella said in 2 years it will be even more amazing. It's hard to believe him saying that won't single handedly have an impact in application numbers for the next few years
What Rinella needs to do is shut his mouth and quit ruining places to hunt like my unit where he shot that giant buck in on his show with Ryan Callahan which is now inundated with idiots. Thank you Meat Eater for pod casting about my units.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk