Hunt "The Best General Units in Wyoming" Every Year

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, I was really disappointed when I heard that podcast and I have been a fan since his first book came out. This isnt the first time meateater blabs about specific units or regions.
Ruined my units completly. Sends people to specific places/canyons..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Lol the internet astounds me sometimes. Why do any of you post units/regions on the internet it's crazy.

That's crazy Meateater said that, really disappointing.

No different than the Hush assholes or Eastman's. Blows me away.

It baffles me that some people on this forum are such low lives that they seek to find an issue with anything that gives another hunter an advantage. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what the OP is doing. He has moved to WY - that is all. He travels for work like many other people in this country do and he has chosen one state as his ONLY residence.

Second, why is everyone also angry at Meateater for providing its listeners with meaningful information to help them land bigger deer. Isn't that EXACTLY what you want from hunting media??

People can be so jealous and selfish and I have no doubt that someone on this forum has already contacted WY Fish and Game to try to spoil the OP's situation.

Fatcamp

WKR
The dumb asses that provide specific locations are no different, or even worse, than coming on a public forum and talking about specific units. It drives pressure where it isn't needed and where the landscape may be easily overwhelmed. Absolutely unnecessary.

But, since you are cool with it go, ahead am PM me the GPS details of your last 5 kills. #thanksbro

I lived and hunted in Wyoming for 5 years. I don’t see any problem whatsoever with what he’s doing and don’t get some of the posts here. He only claims residency in Wyoming and has decided to live there because he travels for work, and can live anywhere he wants as a result. More power to him!

wytx

WKR
Some folks just want to make sure he knows the law and doesn't get in any trouble. No issues with anyone moving here because of our great hunting, they just need to be legal residents.
Perhaps his intentions were misconstrued, but no ill will intended.

Fatcamp

WKR
I do get that hot spotting is annoying but the guys who are going there want to hunt big bucks...... why does this make them Idiots? Just because it makes your life harder?

The problem has to do with volume. When a guy like like that talks about how awesome a specific spot is it ruins it through a massive influx of people. There are huge tracts of land to hunt out west, but when New Jersey hears Rinella boasting on Valley X they think they need to go there. No reason to mention specifics other than you want to be the cool kids who show everyone how great they are. Nevermind he probably never intends to go back.

It makes no sense.

CBreeze

FNG
I can't post in classifieds yet so I'll just leave this here and see what you guys think...

I travel for work so this year I decided to move out of my apartment in Salt Lake and buy a place in Wyoming so that I could change my residency. I'm curious if anybody else would be interested in doing something similar and renting rooms from me. You have to live there a year before you are a resident so you'd have to get in before the January elk application to use any points you might have so they don't go to waste. I can't return PMs yet but if you send me your numbers I can get in touch with you.

I killed the deer in 2017 on a general tag and the elk this year on a general tag.
View attachment 132845View attachment 132847View attachment 132848
. Saved for posterity.

If he meets the residency req of WGF he'll be fine, and they're pretty clear. It is also very possible to not be a resident in any state for hunting purposes.

"To qualify for any resident game and fish license, preference point, permit or tag, a person shall ... physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days)"

Also Wyoming: “It puts the lotion on the skin!”

Edit: I somewhat interpreted “physically reside” as in you can’t leave the state for a night. I don’t think that’s the case.

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
Montana, Colorado, Idaho all have a California problem. Wyoming has a Utah problem. I've got no problem with a guy moving to WY for hunting. Renting rooms and profiting off every flat brimmed, bedazzled jean wearing bro, so they to can be WY residents is a bit much.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m not arguing that rinella should shut his mouth. I agree. I’m saying the guys who come out here are here because they are hopeful to hunt big bucks. Just like any of us. Hillboy calls them idiots, I’m asking why. It’s rinellas fault not theirs. If there are some bad apple hunters I get it but most out of state guys I run into are actually pretty good dudes. I ran into a dude from nevada On my hunt here in Utah. Dude was cool as hell.

I gotcha. Read it wrong and my bad.

I too for the most part have good luck with the people I run into in various places. Hope everyone gets a chance to experience Western hunting, I just hate that these people publicize areas for clicks or likes or whatever their online currency is. It all sucks.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I gotcha. Read it wrong and my bad.

I too for the most part have good luck with the people I run into in various places. Hope everyone gets a chance to experience Western hunting, I just hate that these people publicize areas for clicks or likes or whatever their online currency is. It all sucks.
The reason I call them idiots is because they do not know what they are doing and blow out the elk and deer so much pressure. With out of state trucks at the bottom of all of your once sacred spot trailheads it gets annoying. So it is more out frusteration I say that bad wording. Idaho unlike Wyo is otc and so now with the many different podcast wonders, Hush, Hunting Fool, eastmans and other things out there touting "the best otc" "or should be trophy class" it has now become the go to for UT, OR, WA, CA, PA, MI and Wisconson. My two units in 5 years 2 hard winters and unchecked hunter numbers are now deviod of bucks of any age class and everything is so far in or right in town due to pressure.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
The reason I call them idiots is because they do not know what they are doing and blow out the elk and deer so much pressure. With out of state trucks at the bottom of all of your once sacred spot trailheads it gets annoying. So it is more out frusteration I say that bad wording. Idaho unlike Wyo is otc and so now with the many different podcast wonders, Hush, Hunting Fool, eastmans and other things out there touting "the best otc" "or should be trophy class" it has now become the go to for UT, OR, WA, CA, PA, MI and Wisconson. My two units in 5 years 2 hard winters and unchecked hunter numbers are now deviod of bucks of any age class and everything is so far in or right in town due to pressure.

Let me re iterate nothing wrong with people wanting big bucks. But when podcasts & periodicals ruin places and the fun of it due to wanting to profit off hunting it sucks. Units get ruined this way and people who hunt there for their entire lives become discouraged and frusterated. I am an out of state hunter in other places. I get the looks but do most of my own boots on the ground research by good old fashioned clinb the hill and figure it out whats there.

I used to talk units years ago now just give general info after seeing how damaging it can be. Not trying to troll or highjack the thread just hit a note with Ranella. After they were in my elk spot filming this year and talked about the place specifically on a pod cast last year and filmed another meat eater episode there with the big 5 point he shot. Talked about specifically where Ryan Callahan lived yada yada "posh mountain town"

I even like the show just not the publicity it brought.

Scorpion

WKR
I can see how the OP got misconstrued, especially as a new member, but I don’t see there being any malicious intent or profiteering goal.There are a lot of people in this country that travel for work, whether it be a fixed rotation of 14/14 or work from home with intermittent travel.

What the OP suggests would be a great thing for a couple young, single guys who work in something like the oilfield, where fixed rotations are pretty common. Whether the rig is in WY or another state, a 14/14 rotation would get them to the state’s definition of a legal resident.

I work with over a dozen guys from WY who spend half the year out of state chasing rigs and frac crews. Don’t know of a single one that has yet to prosecuted by WY Game & Fish when hunting season rolls around.

A bunch of y'all guys griping on here, picking on the OP... maybe go to Archerytalk to do that, please.

The OP specifically mentions that anyone would have to live there at least a year, to qualify as a WY resident. On his second post, after one criticism, he said he would look further into it. Perfectly legal and not at all sly.

Business is business. He can rent to anybody he jolly well feels like renting to! Hunter or PETA. (Charge PETA 2x and tell them you're a hunter the day AFTER they pay their rent.)

If a specific spot is mentioned on social media, and all the flat-brimmed hats go there on idots' heads, the more space else where for the rest of us. Just don't hop on Rokslide and blame everybody for going to "your" spot and say how the whole west is just overrun by Facebook popularity hunters hunting a certain spot because some famous somebody said it was a good spot.

In case you forgot, this thread is in search of renters in Wyoming. I don't know the OP but I would not be afraid to support him!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk