Hunt with my wife recommends. Maybe desert hunt.

I'd like to start planning a hunt to go on with my wife.

She really likes the landscapes of desert and mountains and barren terrain. She can hike well and hates the cold. So I'm thinking something like a AZ coues deer hunt or I'd probably prefer a mule deer hunt somewhere. Can I get some recommendations? Quality of animals isn't important at all. Might try to DIY, but guided or semi-guided would probably help a lot. Ideal hunt would be axis or something cool in Hawaii then hang out on beach did a few days, but would need another job or two...

Thanks in advance.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I had fun with my wife in the Az desert looking for muleys. A good introductory hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Oregon desert mule deer, easy to draw units, October dates with nice weather, plenty of deer if you're willing to do a little work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AZ may be a good fit. You can hunt some units with both mule deer and coues.

Last edited:

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
84960ab1d33b0aa333af7cdc474d633f.jpg
cb888fbc71d30f8ed17b96bc9675dfbe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

pwsINC

WKR
Antelope, east or southwest Wyoming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Firearm or archery? Lots of good diy archery hunts when the weather is warmer! Not liking the cold is a good Segway into being able to buy a hot tent setup! That would open up a lot of possibilities!

OP
alexanderg23
Firearm or archery? Lots of good diy archery hunts when the weather is warmer! Not liking the cold is a good Segway into being able to buy a hot tent setup! That would open up a lot of possibilities!

We've got a Sawtooth and stove. But a warm hunt would be good.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope, east or southwest Wyoming.

This.

Lots of game to look at. Nothing is worse for a new hunter than only getting a glimps at a doe, then getting skunked. Get her some binos so she can get in on the glassing, or give her yours. You can hunt from camp or town. Pick a unit that is within an hour or two of Casper for a town hunt. Whatever is HER preference (make this hunt about her). If she doesn't like camping, get a hotel. She can get a bed, shower, and TV to unwind. Also a way to warm up after the hunt. September in WY can be cool, but in some spots, you can also hunt from the heated pickup if it's really cold. Get her a jacket and insulated pants regardless. Guided hunts aren't too expensive (in comparison to elk, moose, sheep). Talk to the outfitter about a a buck and nanny combo for you two. That would be the cheaper way to get you both an animal. Or do a semi guided buck hunt for the both of you.

pwsINC

WKR
Insulated pants yes. Bought my wife the Kelvin lights. I think this great idea.

ChukarUp

FNG
First hunt I took my wife on (and 6 year old son at the same time) was antelope. Warm weather in August was a plus, and seeing game throughout the day was a plus. From my experiences hunting antelope, you can punch your tag in a day or two if you chose. It's an easy pack out too. Great hunt to bring a new hunter along and give them a taste.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Over the counter tags here in AZ are a good bet. Deer, bear, turkey in August, but depending where you are it can be pretty warm. Deer in January down south is good, but can be chilly depending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Doe Antelope tags, as many as 4 each, for a WY unit east of the bighorns. It's not going to be a warm hunt but easily done.

If it was me I would take her on an Antelope hunt. Seems to me most people are successful and I think that would be important.

boom

WKR
if you do the dec jan couse hunt in AZ..it is effen freezing cold. like your toothpaste turns damn near solid cold.

boom

WKR
funny you mention Hawaii. my friends house butts up against a macadamia farm. hogs everywhere. he has permission to jump the fence and start shooting his bow.

i try to sell spa days on the beach.drinks with umbrellas..but my wife is on to my wily ways when i suggest a "couples wilderness outing" in Hawaii.

Jauwater

WKR
I never hear people suggest bird hunting. But man, getting a group of shooters together in a field during dove season is incredibly fun. You can spend a day, and run through hundreds of shells. Sometimes you cant reload fast enough cause flocks just keep coming in one after another. Very addicting. After that most people are open to hunt other species.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I took my wife to hunt antelope in Wyoming for her first hunt. And we just returned from hunting in New Zealand yesterday. Both fantastic hunts in target rich environments.