Hunt with recurve and carry compound backup

Herbie03

FNG
Spent the last year practicing with a recurve. Been shooting compound but wanted to make hunting even more difficult. Got good enough that I purchased a Blackwidow recurve and will be taking it to CO for an elk hunt this Sept. Since the distance I will shoot/hunt the recurve is significantly less than my compound, I've been thinking (oh boy) what if I strapped my Switchback to my pack as a long range backup. Kind of like a sniper rifle. If an elk hangs up and won't come in close enough for an ethical shot with the BW, then maybe swap it for the compound.
Dumb idea?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes. It's a crutch. Sounds like you are toying with the romantic notion of hunting with a recurve, but don't really want to deal with what that truly means. You will find yourself making excuses as to why you should use your compound, and before long, the recurve will be up for sale. Do I ever think I could possibly have more chances with a compound? Sure. Last year in MT I could have killed a bull on the 2nd day with a compound. Killed one a week later with my recurve. You either embrace the challenge of the recurve, or you will always have that nagging thought in your head to grab the compound. I hate shooting a compound now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
Pick one and go with it, I never regretted selling my compound. Although, I typically want to ground tune my trad bows on a daily basis. You have to make the decision for yourself, go with your gut and give it all the way with whatever you choose to do. Good luck on your hunt.

JP100

WKR
Its the same as bowhunting with a rifle on your back

Just commit to one.

Ive had a number of hunters bring a bow and a rifle, and guess what no one has ever shot anything with a bow with a rifle on their back.

Will be the same with a recurve and a compound.

Nothing wrong with either option, but just commit, it will make your decision making in the field much easier. otherwise you will be constantly swapping and switching your plans, which never works.

*zap*

WKR
Sounds like you might be at the point where you need to evaluate your commitment to the weapon of choice for that hunt based on how efficient you can be with that weapon, your confidence level with that weapon, how much you can accept the limitations of that weapon while still enjoying the hunt/outcome and what the priority is for that hunt. Do you desire to have a kill or a kill with that specific limited weapon?
Good luck with your choice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Using the recurve doesn't make the hunting more difficult, it makes your shot selection decisions more difficult. Elk will hang up even with a compound in your hands.......that doesn't change. And an elk hanging up in "compound range" is not going to allow you to drop your pack, unleash your compound, and then somehow get a good shot off any easier than working for a shot with the recurve. The distances are all relative at that point.

Wrench

WKR
You only have to justify to yourself. Here's the deal, if you are hunting for meat, take what you need. If you're hunting for the experience, I think you're going to need to run the scenarios to yourself and see how you feel about it.

I too toyed with both but I can't even think about my compound anymore. Where I hunt the odds of a over 40 shot is low and every chance I've had was either under 40 or over 60. Obviously over 60 is out, but the speed I've picked up in the shot sequence and the silence of the shot makes up for it to me....but that's only to me.

Your situation is really up to you to define what you want, after all.....this is for fun. (Unless you have sponsor

To be realistic: Wouldn't the compound require its own arrows, broadheads, quiver, release and rangefinder?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Its the same as bowhunting with a rifle on your back

Just commit to one.

Ive had a number of hunters bring a bow and a rifle, and guess what no one has ever shot anything with a bow with a rifle on their back.

Will be the same with a recurve and a compound.

Nothing wrong with either option, but just commit, it will make your decision making in the field much easier. otherwise you will be constantly swapping and switching your plans, which never works.

This is exactly correct.

GregB

WKR
You will never learn to kill an elk w/ a recurve if you leave yourself an out with the compound.

I bring both on trips. I'm more experienced with the recurve, having hunted exclusively with it for 20 years. I've also been using a compound for the last two years in addition.

I choose which bow to bring depending on the cover. Dark timber lends itself to the recurve. Open high country with sparse cover may require the compound. I think the type of cover more or less determines the shot distance. I NEVER bring both bows with me into the woods.

Back in the truck you'll have to cover up your spare bow so that it doesn't get too hot.

I'm new to bowhunting so take this with a grain of salt.

I have the luxury of hunting pretty well as much as I want over here in Australia. I could go away for a weekend and take rifles, compound, and recurve. I hunt areas with a lot of game and it's easy to convince myself to take a rifle compound and then "bring them out on the last hunt of the weekend if I really need to bag something." The reality is, in those situations, I often find myself pushing my luck too much and even blowing out my last opportunity, and not completely committing to the recurve is detrimental to my own hunting.

A bloke over here who hunts with a recurve a lot told me that if I want to be successful with the recurve, I have to dedicate myself to it 100%, and not worry about how much game I might miss chances on in the meantime. He is right. Also, I've hunted briefly with a compound and have found that once I get into compound range, opportunities just come up and I could have killed stuff with my recurve almost as easily.

My point is, I have been very close with my recurve sometimes, and if I had a rifle or compound with me, those opportunities would have been over quickly and I wouldn't have gained anywhere near as much knowledge or experience. I still rifle hunt in some instances but I'm dedicated my life to the recurve at this point and I'll be better for it.

I am using a recurve for the first time next month, chasing elk in the Kaibab. Not only am I only taking a recurve but intend to hold out for a real trophy...a wall hanger. The satisfaction of TRYING is enough for me to be happy. If you aren't there then you aren't ready to hunt trad. A traditional hunter is committed to the process, not the kill. Go big or go home. This will be my most challenging and meaningful hunt, regardless whether I am successful or not.

sneaky

"DADDY"
When it comes together with the trad bow there's no better feeling. A compound doesn't even come close to bringing that sense of accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with the above comments. Most who know me would hopefully tell you I have no bias against rifles and compound bows. A guy should use what he prefers. A switch to traditional bows for hunting is really more of a leap. You generally will have a tougher time (mentally) making the leap if you look backwards or are only semi-committed to getting there. The fact is that most guys who keep a compound around ('just in case') will return to it when they have a bad day with their traditional bow. When your traditional bow IS your bow...and the only one you use....you'll work harder to get better with it.

So my advice has always been to ask yourself how badly do you want to learn and master the traditional bow for hunting. If it's something of interest, you probably should leave yourself an out....your compound. If shooting the recurve or longbow is more like something that's burning in your guts and has you thinking about little else, you're probably the right guy to eliminate the distractions and make the total leap to the most challenging form of bowhunting there is. Only you can decide that.

Up to you ultimately.

I’ve been hunting with single string bows for a lot of years. I shoot competitively also and can hold my own.

There are times when a compound bow is the ethical choice. Rifle too. (Marco Pollo anyone?) I wouldn’t have any issues with bringing both on a hunt. Especially for a first harvest of said species.

I was anti-wheels for a lot of years until I started to pursue game in open country. Then the dilemma is - what do I want?

For me a when a shot is available a clean kill and an ethical harvest is the most important thing.

The adventure doesn’t change with the weapon in hand. I still get all shaky in the knees when I’ve made a good shot and I’m waiting to recover my prize. No matter what choice of weapon I have made.

We owe it to the animal to do our best part in making an ethical and quick kill.

No shame in bringing both - who cares what you use as long it is the experience you want and an ethical choice for doing our part as stewards of the resource?

Good luck to you. Have a great adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk