Hunter charged with Homicide

Ucsdryder

WKR
Check out the elk contest. Lots of guys packing out heads without any orange on during rifle season!!!!

This is just asking for issues! I don’t care how far back you are, unless you’re eating it on the mountain, at some point your hiking to a trail head or parking lot where your truck is, along with a bunch of people looking to shoot their 1000 yard elk guns at exactly the same thing you have mounted above your brain!

Attachments

• 56FA86DC-A340-4A89-8A8E-C914C00CA58D.png
    56FA86DC-A340-4A89-8A8E-C914C00CA58D.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

letmgrow

FNG
I honestly don't understand why some hunters insist on chasing or pushing a wounded animal. This animal was hit and eventually laid down. At that point in time everyone should have backed out and let the animal expire on it's own. The hunters could regroup and wait, then when it's determined it wasn't going to get up one hunter could approach the animal and confirm it had or hadn't expired. That one appointed hunter should be the only one allowed to attempt to dispatch the animal if that was required.
Regardless of what charges are levied or the outcome, a human life has been lost needlessly and could have been prevented.
I would have difficulty calling this incident an accident.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
There are a lot of states that don’t require orange including CA where I’ve seen war zones in our highly coveted A zone unit. You’d think we would have body’s laying all over the hills during deer season but these stories seem to come from states that require orange... just a thought. Maybe taking off your orange in CO is far more dangerous than not wearing in CA because people get used to “I don’t see any orange...bang bang”

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Check out the elk contest. Lots of guys packing out heads without any orange on during rifle season!!!!
I've never understood why so many guys pack out elk with the antlers straight up in the air. I wouldn't even be able to make it through the trees and such that way.......besides being way out of balance.

This is just asking for issues! I don’t care how far back you are, unless you’re eating it on the mountain, at some point your hiking to a trail head or parking lot where your truck is, along with a bunch of people looking to shoot their 1000 yard elk guns at exactly the same thing you have mounted above your brain!
So I just did a search of the forums for things like..

"Head Packout"
"Backpack Head Carry"
"Antlers Backpack"
"Dead Head Carry Backpack"

And several more. Nothing immediately came up regarding this subject, so if anyone remembers a thread specific to the topic of how to attach a head to a backpack, post a link. If not I will start a new thread as not to hijack this one, but it seems like a good topic on field safety.

I've never understood why so many guys pack out elk with the antlers straight up in the air. I wouldn't even be able to make it through the trees and such that way.......besides being way out of balance.

Starting a new thread on this right now.

I'm curious of these folks who pack the head and horns with the horns sticking up. Its pretty rare I see that, if ever other than internet photo's. Is that a common way to pack horns?
I always pack with them down at my sides. upside down to how an elk would pack them. It always struck me as risky to walk through the woods with them up in a somewhat natural orientation.

But I wear orange when muzzy hunting, and hunting in states that don't require orange, and have an orange patch when archery hunting for if I should be successful. I tend to not trust other folks judgement.

Sad chain of events. What stuck out to me was the disparity in age of the 2 hunting partners. A similarly age spread pair of hunting partners had an accident where one drown traveling between the main boat and shore back in 2013 up in SE Alaska. This event made me recall that other event.

Will_m

WKR
It's a recent phenomena known as "do it for the 'gram."

Sometimes I wonder how many people engage in things for the sole purpose that it will lead to social media content.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Depends. My girlfriend killed her bull right off a major cattle trail with zero forest to go through. It’s an easy way to carry them if you’re not going through trees. In trees, it’s easier to turn it upside down but then you have to deal with putting a stick or something through the rack to keep the horns off you.

87TT

WKR
Carrying the antlers upright through the woods is just plain "reckless" and dumb. What about the color blind people?
There are a lot of states that don’t require orange including CA where I’ve seen war zones in our highly coveted A zone unit. You’d think we would have body’s laying all over the hills during deer season but these stories seem to come from states that require orange... just a thought. Maybe taking off your orange in CO is far more dangerous than not wearing in CA because people get used to “I don’t see any orange...bang bang”
^^^^ This

Randle

WKR
Why can't we think for ourselves, just cause its not mandatory doesn't mean you can't wear it. i make all my kids a grandkids wear the "don't get shot " hat. yep bright orange helps see who might be in the direction of our shot.

Marble

WKR
this year while breaking down an archery bull during muzzle loader season I took a couple orange vests (during ML season I hang them on the back of my pack) and hung them from the trees above us for the EXACT reason this poor dude got shot. This picture was from the hike out. Maybe I’m paranoid.
I don't think you are paranoid.

Its pretty smart if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I always shake my head too. Its just so much easier pointing down.

Marble

WKR
Why can't we think for ourselves, just cause its not mandatory doesn't mean you can't wear it. i make all my kids a grandkids wear the "don't get shot " hat. yep bright orange helps see who might be in the direction of our shot.
You are right...but commonsense isn't all that common. Hence a lot of laws of created.