Hunter safety online which is best

gwl79902

WKR
My son needs to do his hunter safety he is big into boy scouts which takes a surprisingly large amount of time and commitment. He is also running track that also takes a bunch of time. Therefor the in person class in Oregon is not going to work out. Oregon allows four different online classes NRA has one that is free the others are 20 to 30 dollars and we can self pace and it is about 6 hours and then a field day.

Anyone have any recent experience with having a kid do hunter safety online and which program seems to be the best. Thanks

Grumman

WKR
My son did the one at Hunter-Ed.com. It seemed pretty good and was worth it to me to allow him to complete at home. Their price varies by state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Yup. Same as Scoot. My daughter did it and I thought it was pretty good.

My oldest son is doing the free NRA one. Maybe I should clarify- I have registered him and logged him in, but he has yet to complete a section yet.

Both my girls did the hunter-ed.com course. You have to see if there is a sanctioned online course for your state.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I did one on hunter-Ed dot com so I could go hunting in Hawaii. I never took the safety course growing up, my dad just taught me. It was pretty ridiculous it was like what is the thing called that you pull in order to fire a gun?.

Anyways, I got my texas just Tera safety card because Hawaii will take almost any hunters safety card and texas does not require an in person element.

How do you guys think the online courses compare to in person for quality, student engagement, competence at completion?

My oldest son just did his last year and we had to drive 40 miles each way every evening for a week. MT has a strange setup where you can do online hunters Ed but need to be at least 12, but you can apprentice hunt at 10. Because of Covid they canceled most in person classes so he was stuck without being able to go until he was 11 and we got into the in person class.

I spend a lot of time at work in meetings both in person and online and I see a definite drop in engagement and quality in the online meetings.

I know that hunters Ed is just the beginning and that an adult still needs to give lots of guidance and teaching as the kids mature, but there were a couple kids that at the end of the in person meeting I wouldn’t trust with a rubber band gun and I just can’t see how it wouldn’t be even worse if they had done an online class.

One thing that really surprised me was that in a class of about 10 kids only myself and one other parent stayed for the class, the rest just dropped off. Pretty sure that when I went through it a parent had to stay.

I've done the Oregon hunter ed and Idaho bow hunter ed courses thru hunter-ed online.

I don't think he will learn as much online as un person but I think these courses are as good as its going get for online.

Travis907

WKR
In person is so much better if he can find a class to take! The quality of information and hands on learning in the classroom can’t be taught online. The in person class your son will hear real life stories and he will retain what he learned way better than online! Invest in his future and find a class to take, you won’t be disappointed!

WKR
I took the online version, the same one mentioned by many above, and I thought it was awesome. Really well done.