Hunters Element?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
They are a New Zealand brand and compare against Stoney Creek down here. Like most hunting gear today, it's largely made in Asia so quality can vary. I have only used their neoprene gaiters which are good and work well keeping water out of boots for stream crossings.

Others I know rate it average in the earlier generation fabrics but has improved. In the stores here it looks like they have stepped up in quality compared with other NZ brands quite a bit though. I'd put them equal with other more expensive brands you see here now.

NZ hunting gear tends to be heavier than the ultralight stuff you'll find in the states.However NZ hunting conditions (and hunters) tend to be very hard on gear so the heavier fabrics hold up well.

The one benefit with NZ cut rain coats is they actually come down far enough to cover your arse vs. American cut. This means when you're sitting and glassing you don't have rain running down your backside and often don't need to put on rainpants when walking as the jacket covers mid-thigh and keeps you drier. American cut rain jackets are all too short. If you never used a longer cut rain jacket the Hunters Element may be of interest to see how you go.

Last edited: