Hunters kill charging grizzly, Idaho

Laramie

WKR
Hunting will only change behavior over time if you are harvesting the bears with the least fear of humans. In essence, you are killing the easiest bears and not trophy hunting only for the largest boars. Even then, it would likely take 50-100 years to change behavior. Bears are nothing like a wolf. You shoot a wolf out of a pack, the other wolves associate humans with that threat. You shoot a solitary boar grizzly and no other bears have any idea something happened.

I am 100% in favor of placing management of these animals at the state level. Each states biologists should ultimately decide what is best for the species.

Deadfall

WKR
Are you serious, we should not be able to use our national forest to elk hunt, fish, and recreate so bears can have free reign?

We’re not talking about a small area here, we’re talking about hundreds of thousands of acres of national forest. They already have 1,000,000 acres to the east in Yellowstone national park.

There’s always been a few grizzlies up there, even before they were on the endangered list. I’m good with a few, but with bear attacks and bear encounters on the obvious rise up there, and the feds shutting down our season a couple years ago that was approved, I’m not OK to just sit back and say “ oh well, let the bears be bears.” With that thinking, we should shut down all game management.

The situation is just like the wolves, it’s swung way too far the other way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to mention bears running in packs these days

Deadfall

WKR
I think we’re underestimating the intelligence of our predators. We’ve witnessed what happened with the wolves when they went from becoming unhunted to hunted. Within just a few years they became very hard to find. And we probably in no way reduce their population, in fact it may have even grown once to be started hunting them.

I realize this is all anecdotal, including my comments and quoting other hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You right on track. We shotgun them up here. A bear that gets alittle buckshot and yelled at. For the rest of that bears life he will turn inside out getting away from human voice or scent.

Fwp in most states kill more bears then they relocate.

Not hunting them is a mistake. Don't the ones who disagree. They are wrong.

Deadfall

WKR
Maybe they’ll have an epic species show down with wolves and all our woes will resolve themselves.
In middle of nowhere montana only accessible by horse. People kill stock there every year. Then just pack up and leave. We have lots of game camera footage of bears and wolves sharing the carcass. I know that goes against all the experts say. Pictures/experience vs. Words.

For years now bears been working in groups. That's to many bears.