Hunters kill charging grizzly, Idaho

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just happened in Island Park, unit 61. Too bad for the bear but she shouldn’t charge armed hunters.

Wonder how effective the bear spray was? Maybe enough to give the other guy a good shot. Wonder if he Glocked her?

To my knowledge only archery season open up there so prolly not packing a rifle.

Second grizz attack in that area this year. More to come. It’s the new normal up there. Enough Grizzlies already!!!!

https://www.eastidahonews.com/?p=505634

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I having an aneurysm? I am 110% sure I've read this exact thread and Robby exchange a few weeks ago.

bbrown

WKR
Grizzlies in the lower 48 are like the entitled rich kid in high school. Wandering around like they are untouchable causing problems just because they can until someone gets sick of their sh!t and punches them in the nose. Sad part is it would be better for everyone (including the grizzly population as a whole) if they weren’t put up on that pedestal in the first place.

Or at least now that enough time has passed that they are have graduated out of “elementary” and “middle school” maybe they could be treated like the rest of the “kids”…

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby really been turning up the smart ass a bit here lately.....

I like it.

Whoops. Maybe I better tone it back. I know my meter on my smart ass detector has been pegged lately. Maybe it’s rubbing off on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sucks for the hunters to be in that situation. Sucks even more for the dead bear. Double sucks for the 2 cubs which will most likely not make it to adulthood. Pretty much sucks all around. Needs to be a better balance #allowgrizzhunting

Grizzlies in the lower 48 are like the entitled rich kid in high school. Wandering around like they are untouchable causing problems just because they can until someone gets sick of their sh!t and punches them in the nose. Sad part is it would be better for everyone (including the grizzly population as a whole) if they weren’t put up on that pedestal in the first place.

Or at least now that enough time has passed that they are have graduated out of “elementary” and “middle school” maybe they could be treated like the rest of the “kids”…
Sounds like most of the humans I know 🤷‍♂️

Dirtbag

WKR

Island Park is just a hop, skip, and jump from Yellowstone for a bear. Yellowstone is basically the rich private school for bears.

Its funny, because many on this forum chastised the idea of proactively managing bears and using to proven deterrents inside the park to prevent human conflict...Start giving them that punch in the nose, regardless of what school they go to.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Island Park is just a hop, skip, and jump from Yellowstone for a bear. Yellowstone is basically the rich private school for bears.

Its funny, because many on this forum chastised the idea of proactively managing bears and using to proven deterrents inside the park to prevent human conflict...Start giving them that punch in the nose, regardless of what school they go to.
you're right on location, but I live here and the last fatal grizz bear attack I can remember from that ecosystem was in the early 80's near Hebgen Lake, guy killed in his tent. Then 30 years of hardly any but last 5 years conflicts really climbing with a human death on the other side of the range last fall (Wyoming Guide on the Teton side)

This is due to the grizz population being way to high up there. too high for that many humans.

Just watch, this will become the new norm.

I'm all for grizz, especially in Yellowstone, but I'm not for humans being killed or injured.

Dirtbag

WKR
This is due to the grizz population being way to high up there. too high for that many humans.

Just watch, this will become the new norm.

I'm all for grizz, especially in Yellowstone, but I'm not for humans being killed or injured.
Agreed. We need to start reducing populations outside of the park and actively deterring bears when in proximity of humans regardless. I don't want anyone getting hurt, whether its a hunter, park visitor so on because we refuse to proactively reduce populations to sustainable levels and deter bears from becoming comfortable around humans. Grizzlies have bad attitudes regardless but proactive management to avoid conflict will help.

on a lighter note this is a grade A + comment...

Untitled.png

slick

WKR
I'm all for a grizzly hunt, and their numbers have obviously been climbing. I'm not one to make assumptions that they are "too high" or on the flip side "too low" as that is just a personal opinion.

What I do know, is that human presence in the woods in and around Yellowstone has been on the rise, and possibly at a greater rate than the bears population increase and I believe that has more to do with encounters than anything else.

The fastest growing areas of land for the last, oh im not sure, 10 years, has been directly related to proximity to a National Park and with the sheer number of people that are now using these landscapes coupled with the ever growing GBear population is rife for human-bear conflict.

Robby- all good. Not pegging this on you, but I'm just sick of all the bravado that comes along on the internet of guys who have spent 5 days in "grizz country" and now are experts behind the subject matter.

Last edited: