Hunting a burn (AZ)? 8/20 burn good for 12/21?

rootacres

WKR
So I drew an AZ deer tag. Due to the fires over the last year this unit could present some serious challenges and I don't want to burn my PointGuard. My question is, there is a burn from 8/20 that appears to be in a pretty good spot, should vegetation be up enough to give it hunting consideration come 12/21? [Due to logistics and time I won't be scouting before hunting, basically winging it. . . again lol]

Thank you for any help

BeaverGuy

FNG
My best recommendation would be to call a biologist in that area or pray that satellite imagery was taken recently. Good luck

BBob

WKR
Depends on the unit and how it burned. Did it burn hot and torch everything or did it burn where there was a previous burn and just hit underbrush? Up north in the forest could be quite different than down in the desert. Lots of variables so unless one knew the unit it'd be hard to say.

In general the burns from last year have not recovered as quick as normal since it’s been so dry. But if the recent moisture patterns hold up that could be way different come December.

Off the top of my head I can’t think of any severe burns in mule deer country from last year in a unit with a December draw tag. If the burn was that serious they wouldn’t have given that unit the hunt

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good luck and bad luck hunting burns. From what I've been able to tell from years of of playing in and around burns in AZ is that behavior in the burn is going to swing towards the extreme end of behavior for a given unit.

For example, if it's a dry year and the rut is running late or slow, I've had worse luck trying to find bucks in the burn. On years that things are hopping, the burn is incredible.

Hunting pressure from the earlier hunts in the burn can nuke an area too and push everything into denser unburned country.

Since you can't scout and didn't share the unit, it's tough to give much advice. I've been all over AZ the last 2 weeks and I can tell you there's a HUGE difference in vegetation growth between units. And that's pulling the burn variable out of it. Happy to give more details if you want to PM me the unit number.

Otherwise, I'd take the recommendations above and get in touch with the unit biologist with F&G.

What unit?

Seen deer in the lunar landscape not long after the fires last year. Granted they were passing. Recently seen deer in multiple areas that burnt up last year.

Always have multiple plans.

Like others have said all depends on how hot the fire burn and moisture level. We have been getting some good rains last couple of weeks, but also some downpouring which has been causing slides and striping the soil that was there.

BBob

WKR
Only one unit seems to meet the posted criteria so if I'm not missing something I believe I see the unit and the fire. If what I see is correct that fire wasn't big and didn't last real long and the incident report doesn't make it sound like it burned super hot. Some of the area inside this fire has burned a couple of other times previously. There's also plenty of country to hunt around it if it's not holding deer.

Last edited: