Hunting accompanied by a dog

I'm new to Rokslide and to hunting in general, but I am trying to start this season with bear in the WA Cascades. I have two main questions:

1) Is it legal to bring my dog with me to hunt? She is not trained to track game or even a blood trail, she's just a good friend.

2) Will it hinder my hunt to have her with me? She is a 15 month Belgian Malinois, with a high prey drive, but I don't really anticipate being very close to the game I am hunting. Will her scent be any more suspicious than my own?

Thanks, all responses appreciated.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
You Being new to hunting I would remove any distractions in the field and concentrate solely on the hunt. I don’t know Washington rules, but I can’t imagine a puppy being a good thing on a spot and stalk bear hunt.

DRUSS

WKR
I had a dog that I used to be able to hunt with. very well minded and mannered. but it wasnt legal here in Oregon. I had a long discussion with OSP about it. he accompanied me on rifle and bow hunts, deer ,elk. never bear though which I thought was ok before my friendly OSP officer enlightened me to my lack of knowledge.
but I truly enjoyed his company on many outings prior to learning better. he was a companion not a hunter. he never put my hunts in a bad spot.

slvrslngr

WKR
I wouldn't have your fuzzy friend with you while hunting bear. Just having her with you could be construed as "hunting" or "pursuing". Page 93 of the regs. Not to mention, dogs and bears don't mix well.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
1. No, it's not legal.
2. See #1.

Also, as already mentioned, bears and dogs don't mix well, a dog increases the chances of you being attacked by a bear. Dogs will attack a bear and then the bear will attack anything else that gets in it's way as it tries to get away from the dog.

About the only reason I carry a side arm while hiking is because of the dog. He is well mannered and very good obedience and is a well trained retriever. But to a bear he isn't near the threat of a human. I can control myself in a situation but the dog adds another element. Remember that no matter how well a dog is trained it's still an animal and is still an independent creature. The dog could just do something passive that is really stupid in the situation.

WKR
Kind of sad that in order to hunt we have regulation books that are over 93 pages long. Just saying. If on page 93 it says you can't bring a dog, I guess you can't bring a dog. Personally, if a guy has a dog, doesn't want to or can't leave it with someone else, he should be able to have the dog tag along. We've become so used to being told what to do, it bugs the hell out of me. If a guy had him in heel position on a lead, what possible advantage would he gain while hunting any big game?

In Colorado if you wanted to use a dog on a blood trail. You need a $40 license. You have to call the local DOW contact. Tell him the license number of the hunter and what is going on. Basically ask permission and then you can drop your dog on lead on the trail. Could my dog help bowhunters find wounded game? Yes. Is it worth it due to the bureaucratic BS, for me no.

wytx

WKR
Kind of sad that in order to hunt we have regulation books that are over 93 pages long. Just saying. If on page 93 it says you can't bring a dog, I guess you can't bring a dog. Personally, if a guy has a dog, doesn't want to or can't leave it with someone else, he should be able to have the dog tag along. We've become so used to being told what to do, it bugs the hell out of me. If a guy had him in heel position on a lead, what possible advantage would he gain while hunting any big game?

In Colorado if you wanted to use a dog on a blood trail. You need a $40 license. You have to call the local DOW contact. Tell him the license number of the hunter and what is going on. Basically ask permission and then you can drop your dog on lead on the trail. Could my dog help bowhunters find wounded game? Yes. Is it worth it due to the bureaucratic BS, for me no.

I asked our GW about just that scenario, he promptly told me if that dog gave any indication of game animals around, you are hunting with a dog., This was a Wyoming GW .
I guess you better not be hunting big game with your dog to be safe . Didn't know Colorado required a license for blood trailing with dogs. Thanks for that info.
Good luck on the bear hunt though !

I take my dog everywhere. Deer and elk camp included. Never had a problem. Last year I visited with a game warden at the trailhead after I came off the mountain. He didn't question if my dog was used for hunting and commented that he was surprised that I'd want a deaf dog along. Maybe someone else might be inclined to be a prig, but this guy was totally cool with it.....

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for all the replies, I guess that's a pretty universal no. Too bad

I took the time to read the Washington Regulations https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02063/2019-2020 Big Game Hunting Pamphlet.pdf

Here are the two pertinent laws.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-413-060
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.240

If your dog isn't actively hunting, and just a companion, there is nothing specifically outlawing that. I do not like the wording "Based on a reasonable belief that a dog..." because that seems like a low standard of proof. I think a lot of folks who work and live in the places we hunt happen to also hunt while their dogs are present. I know several that do, and have been out some with my dog in Colorado. My perspective is that if your dog is under your control and not gun shy, there wouldn't be too many things cooler than sharing your hunt with what is probably your best friend.

Trr15

WKR
I take my dog everywhere. Deer and elk camp included. Never had a problem. Last year I visited with a game warden at the trailhead after I came off the mountain. He didn't question if my dog was used for hunting and commented that he was surprised that I'd want a deaf dog along. Maybe someone else might be inclined to be a prig, but this guy was totally cool with it.....

Good looking heeler there. Looks exactly like mine. Best damn dog I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
I got checked last year by a game warden riding a mule, with a red heeler riding on the back. Even had a grouse hanging from the saddle.....

slvrslngr

WKR
I took the time to read the Washington Regulations https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02063/2019-2020 Big Game Hunting Pamphlet.pdf

Here are the two pertinent laws.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-413-060
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.240

If your dog isn't actively hunting, and just a companion, there is nothing specifically outlawing that. I do not like the wording "Based on a reasonable belief that a dog..." because that seems like a low standard of proof. I think a lot of folks who work and live in the places we hunt happen to also hunt while their dogs are present. I know several that do, and have been out some with my dog in Colorado. My perspective is that if your dog is under your control and not gun shy, there wouldn't be too many things cooler than sharing your hunt with what is probably your best friend.

I think the law is intentionally vague. Since the OP was asking about hunting bear with his dog along and bear hunting with dogs is illegal in Washington, a LEO would likely write him a ticket regardless of what the dog was doing. All the dog would have to do is bark or prick his ears up in the bears direction and that could be construed as hunting. Why risk a citation by having the dog along for the ride?

Mike7

WKR
I wouldn't be worried a bit about taking my dog while bear hunting other than me spooking a close in bear away while trying to get my dog's attention to have her stop bird hunting. She is only interested birds and rabbits, and has been trained to stay close.

She will point mountain lions though that are crouched and hiding dangerously close by, just like she does with the neighbors cats, but she is not allowed to chase. It is so easy to train just about any dog now when they are an older puppy with the aid of an electric collar.

My only concern ever is her accidentally bumping a bedded moose calf in the grass or bushes, and then running back to me with momma moose in tow. I hardly ever see any moose now though on hikes with the dog, since the wolves have become so prolific.

Dug out an old pic from 40 years ago. Another heeler that went elk hunting with me every year....
010.jpg

012.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
I think the law is intentionally vague. Since the OP was asking about hunting bear with his dog along and bear hunting with dogs is illegal in Washington, a LEO would likely write him a ticket regardless of what the dog was doing. All the dog would have to do is bark or prick his ears up in the bears direction and that could be construed as hunting. Why risk a citation by having the dog along for the ride?

The easy answer would be to not shoot a bear that the dog pricked his ears at.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
Would it matter if you have a service dog? Here in MT it seems that they can be taken almost everywhere if they're service animals, and the dog needs no training and no one is even allowed to ask if it's a service dog.