Hunting accompanied by a dog

Dinger

WKR
If a guy had him in heel position on a lead, what possible advantage would he gain while hunting any big game?

We hunt in different parts of the planet, but a dog by your side for indicating deer, is legal in our eastern states (Australia) and considered to be a significant advantage. If my GWP has the wind in her favour she alerts me to any deer in that arc and can alter my hunting plans, speed and glassing appropriately. She hunts mostly at heel with me.

Better trained dogs will consistently walk the owner directly onto a deer through both air &/or ground scent....our Sambar deer will hold ground when confronted by a single dog allowing the hunter to slip in and take advantage of the deer's attention on the dog. I have even had hind's challenge my GWP and force her back to me....it's kind like having a live deer retriever, doesn't happen all that often but it's memorable when it does.

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/d...ing-game-birds-and-deer-with-dogs-in-victoria

i-Z8PgGjC-XL.jpg
i-gRLvHbz-X3.jpg
i-bddjHCW-X3.jpg
i-ThPsNQb-XL.jpg
i-jx3r7c5-XL.jpg
i-snhzkSR-XL.jpg

DSC00695-XL.jpg

I take my dog everywhere. Deer and elk camp included. Never had a problem. Last year I visited with a game warden at the trailhead after I came off the mountain. He didn't question if my dog was used for hunting and commented that he was surprised that I'd want a deaf dog along. Maybe someone else might be inclined to be a prig, but this guy was totally cool with it.....

Man, that’s cool. I hike all summer with my 2 labs 7DF3EBE8-2EFE-4019-A68B-9A4082881568.jpegand hate to leave them behind when the time comes.

WKR
We hunt in different parts of the planet, but a dog by your side for indicating deer, is legal in our eastern states (Australia) and considered to be a significant advantage. If my GWP has the wind in her favour she alerts me to any deer in that arc and can alter my hunting plans, speed and glassing appropriately. She hunts mostly at heel with me.

Better trained dogs will consistently walk the owner directly onto a deer through both air &/or ground scent....our Sambar deer will hold ground when confronted by a single dog allowing the hunter to slip in and take advantage of the deer's attention on the dog. I have even had hind's challenge my GWP and force her back to me....it's kind like having a live deer retriever, doesn't happen all that often but it's memorable when it does.

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/d...ing-game-birds-and-deer-with-dogs-in-victoria

i-Z8PgGjC-XL.jpg
i-gRLvHbz-X3.jpg
i-bddjHCW-X3.jpg
i-ThPsNQb-XL.jpg
i-jx3r7c5-XL.jpg
i-snhzkSR-XL.jpg

DSC00695-XL.jpg
Nice looking dog. My drahthaar has been broke off deer since I bird hunt in areas with large numbers of whitetails. So he tends to have an aversion to deer. And after this weekend for his second round of rattlesnake aversion training, hopefully an aversion to them as well.

During training days, I have seen these drahthaars do amazing work figuring out old and rained out blood trails. They are a huge asset for game recovery and it would seem their use would be encouraged vs discouraged. Glad you can use yours to your advantage there.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I have had Wyoming and Colorado GWs tell me I was fine bringing my lab and hunting with her as long as she didn’t chase/bark at big game. I do keep her on a long lead just to show my good will when hunting and haven’t had an issue in those states (even ran into a GW with my dog).

That being said I have no idea about Washington and having a pup along makes you 75% less effective!

wytx

WKR
Looks like all these comments show you should talk with the GW in your area first just to make sure.
I like hearing GW 's have had no issue with dogs out in the field while hunting. Might depend on which one you run into though.

Have you had tons of rain out near Kiowa too? Think fall crops will be in the ground any longer this year? Been hard to get the hay to grow up here.

WKR
Huntsman and I live about 30 miles apart. Never seen it so green out here. Finally got a bunch of snow and now great afternoon showers. Ponds are filling back up and hay fields look great for sure.

vanish

WKR
Cannot speak for Washington.

In Colorado, we've met several game wardens while big game hunting. None has said anything negative about our dog tagging along. He's on a leash and certainly of no help. He's been there for at least a dozen big game kills, with the closest being an archery cow elk at about 8 yards.

uc

Ralphie

WKR
My wyoming game warden friend knows I take my dog and doesn’t have any issue with it. He’s actually been with me with the dog when I’ve killed elk.

It takes a special dog not all of them are suitable for the hunt. But when you do have one it’s the best time ever...

Attachments

• D1D5D699-85E3-4F5B-BFCD-3F1C204B7715.jpeg
    D1D5D699-85E3-4F5B-BFCD-3F1C204B7715.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 12