Hunting after Achilles’ tendon tear

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice. I met with my surgeon this week actually and he used the word “creep” describing what you did. I’m a metallurgical engineer so matrix, deformation, phase transitions etc make good sense to me. If you want to get more scientific go for it!
Update on the hunt, I stayed near the truck the whole time and did end up shooting a doe. I missed two different bucks so the leg didn’t necessarily hold me back at all. Get my boot off next week and PT is ramping up a little faster now so I’m stoked! A year from now I can’t wait to hit hunting season again like a normal person!
The reason we call it tendinopathy is the actual structure of the tissue changes. With tendinitis it's simply inflammation of the tendon, which doesn't cause significant tissue formation changes. With tendinopathy that inflammation has been in there long enough where the actual cellular matrix no longer has the same composition (spaghetti example). The cellular matrix's fiber's are no longer oriented in a north/south pattern, it turns into a jumbled mess and it's unhealthy tissue that has a failure point significantly lower than that of completely healthy tissue. Crazy part is a lot of times tendinitis and tendinopathy don't have any pain associated with it; which is why sometimes people just tear out of nowhere with no previous pain or discomfort.

Glad to hear you got out there and got something done. Next fall you likely won't notice that tendon much; occasional stiffness and it probably won't feel quite as strong as your other one but nothing that should hold you back!

FWoodKyle

FNG
I completely tore mine 2 years ago and didn’t rehab like I should have. Just finished a successful public land elk hunt with tough terrain and did very well. No issues

Tore mine on the way home from a deer hunt in Wyoming. Its been a year and I just had my 5th surgery... Developed a surgical site infection that really set me back (3 months no weight bearing, PICC line antibiotic, etc.) & I appear to have an allergy to the sutures used for repairs. Hope to get past all of this and work on a normal gait & being able to chase my kids/hike/hunt again.

netman

WKR
Whew I’m glad I’m not the only guy with an Achilles tear.
I’m got out of my cast right before Christmas. A few days later I went to the Louisiana swamps and hunted deer for several days. Walking around in the swamps with knee boots was very unstable. I took my time going and coming from the blind and going easy dragging out deer. No problem. Just realized how weak my calf was.
When I got home and over Covid I started walking a mile daily. I’m now walking 3 miles with no problem other than a little soreness.
I’m still very weak in my calf and Achilles areas. I’m taking my time with the recovery and going to PT once a week

Whew I’m glad I’m not the only guy with an Achilles tear.
I’m got out of my cast right before Christmas. A few days later I went to the Louisiana swamps and hunted deer for several days. Walking around in the swamps with knee boots was very unstable. I took my time going and coming from the blind and going easy dragging out deer. No problem. Just realized how weak my calf was.
When I got home and over Covid I started walking a mile daily. I’m now walking 3 miles with no problem other than a little soreness.
I’m still very weak in my calf and Achilles areas. I’m taking my time with the recovery and going to PT once a week
Good plan on the walks, I need to start that up soon. I was non-weight bearing again in December for 2 weeks and lost much of what I built my calf back up to

Firehawk

WKR
I am dredging up this conversation as I completely ruptured my Achilles' Tendon in October. Trying to stay positive a be patient, but I am not used to being patient. Anyway, I greatly appreciate the discussion that you all had back then.

I ended up going "non surgical" repair at the encouragement of my surgeon. I know, kind of an oxymoron right? Anyway, he says that where my tendon tore, it lends itself to working well in the "non surgical" arena. They essentially immobilized my foot with a splint for the first 3 weeks and then moved me to a wedged boot. I am now on week 9 since the injury and I have moved to two wedges in my boot. Finally able to take the boot off and do some minor leg movements for about 20 minutes 1-2x per day. Move to one wedge middle of next week.

I had a partially torn Achilles' Tendon on my other leg 3.5 years ago and that went much faster, but I had some tendon that held together on that one and so it did go faster.

I tried some Hoka Scapegoat mid boots for a few weeks early this fall. Then I noticed that the "flatness" of the heel to drop was aggravating. I returned them and went back to my Salomons for my light hikers. I use Crispi Nevada or Colorados with my Sheepfeet insoles when hiking/hunting heavier or steeper country. Anyway, I was surprised how aggravated I became with the Hokas after using them for a few weeks on hikes and on the treadmill prepping for my hunt.

I tore my Achilles' this year just a few days after returning the Hokas to REI. I was wearing some basketball shoes playing bball with my kids and some nephews. They are really flat heel to toe as well, and I was not wearing my Sheepfeet or any type of aftermarket insole. Can't help but think that those flat shoes and "boots" were part of the reason my Achilles' tore this go around.

Anyway, I am past the grieving part of my recovery and just doing my best to be patient while I do what my doctor tells me to do.

FH