Hunting Alaskan Moose

alaska80

FNG
You need two PR49s? I thought the 49 was basically designed with moose in mind. Larry has pictures and I think a video with it carrying a moose.
Larry is the master and he did that just to experiment. He also blew a hole in that boat with the antlers and had to repair it. Lastly he was on a flat river.

A grown man can make whatever decision he wants, but I have quite a bit of float hunting experience, especially with the PR-49 in remote country and there is no way I would take an entire moose with pack/camp floating miles down a river with all its obstacles.

HoneyDew

WKR
I surely wouldn't want to float myself, my camp, and a bull moose, in just one PR49, through remote wilderness. That's asking for trouble.

Larry is the master and he did that just to experiment. He also blew a hole in that boat with the antlers and had to repair it. Lastly he was on a flat river.

A grown man can make whatever decision he wants, but I have quite a bit of float hunting experience, especially with the PR-49 in remote country and there is no way I would take an entire moose with pack/camp floating miles down a river with all its obstacles.
Good to know. Haven’t done a moose float and haven’t seen the PR49 in person so the feedback is appreciated.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve been to Alaska twice on DIY moose hunts in the last 5 years. Successful both times.
First time I shot a 60” moose. Lucky I guess.

I’d say the first thing guys should do is lower their expectations.

Good God, you’re in Alaska.

Enjoy the moments. Enjoy the vastness. Enjoy the plane ride. Enjoy the remoteness.

IMO - Taking home a moose is not a priority.

BTW - last fall my pilot charged us <$1000 each, but I ain’t saying nuthin else. ;)

Good luck