Hunting around admin sites on public lands

Thought I'd post a reminder to be respectful, courteous, ethical, and law abiding when hunting around administrative sites on public lands.

I work and live out in a national forest in Eastern Oregon 28 miles from town. Archery season started the 29th here and since then we have had two rigs block the posted gate on our main .6 mile driveway that goes down to our guard station. Our secondary road in sucks and I had to take that in last night coming back from fishing. Flash forward to today, I was woken up this morning by two archery hunters walking right by my cabin at 0500 louder than heck. Pissed me off. Forward to this evening about 1700, I hear a group of hunters cow calling just 150 yards from our compound. Grab my bugle and ran every elk out of here. They came over all surprised there was a guard station here. Not that hard to tell if you read a map, use OnX, or have Base map.

I do not care if hunters kill one of our pets that frequent the place, but sure would be nice if they did their homework before hand and learned to be good Sportsman!

Oh, another thing. The national forest is not a landfill. Take your garbage home with you. Since Saturday, we have picked up numerous fast food bags from places that are 3+ hours from here. Not cool!

Sorry for the rant.... Just a yearly thing getting pissed off by hunters when hunting season arrives.

WCB

WKR
I get the blocking gate thing....but are they not allowed to archery hunt 150 yards from the guard station?

CorbLand

WKR
I get the blocking gate thing....but are they not allowed to archery hunt 150 yards from the guard station?
I agree with this post. I can understand the blocked road but the fact that you referred to the animals as "our pets" seems to me like you care a little more than you want to let onto.

Technically speaking, if you intentionally ran all the elk out of the area because there was some guys hunting, couldnt that be considered hunter harassment?

About this time of year we get quite a few hunters illegally using the dumpsters at work as we are one of the closest establishments to several National Forest Access points. Tried locking them before but then these bozos just leave the bags next to it for the animals to tear open causing even more problems. Not that it doesn't happen from other non hunting campers once in awhile but the September/October crowd is the worst and I've had my fair share of bad interactions with guys head to toe in camo who are illegally dumping and also doing things like trespassing just to fill up 500 gallon cisterns of water to take back to camp without even asking or offering to pay.

Come on fellow hunters. . .

OP, I feel your pain but you gotta realize that you work for the USFS on USFS land so maybe try to educate before you start with antics like ripping a bugle just to mess with someone's hunt.

Donjuan

WKR
Thought I'd post a reminder to be respectful, courteous, ethical, and law abiding when hunting around administrative sites on public lands.

I work and live out in a national forest in Eastern Oregon 28 miles from town. Archery season started the 29th here and since then we have had two rigs block the posted gate on our main .6 mile driveway that goes down to our guard station. Our secondary road in sucks and I had to take that in last night coming back from fishing. Flash forward to today, I was woken up this morning by two archery hunters walking right by my cabin at 0500 louder than heck. Pissed me off. Forward to this evening about 1700, I hear a group of hunters cow calling just 150 yards from our compound. Grab my bugle and ran every elk out of here. They came over all surprised there was a guard station here. Not that hard to tell if you read a map, use OnX, or have Base map.

I do not care if hunters kill one of our pets that frequent the place, but sure would be nice if they did their homework before hand and learned to be good Sportsman!

Oh, another thing. The national forest is not a landfill. Take your garbage home with you. Since Saturday, we have picked up numerous fast food bags from places that are 3+ hours from here. Not cool!

Sorry for the rant.... Just a yearly thing getting pissed off by hunters when hunting season arrives.
How do you know it isn't hikers, campers or horseback riders polluting?
You have no legal right to interfere with hunters whose tax dollars pay your salary.

def90

WKR
What’s an admin site / guard station and what do you do? Never heard of anything like that in Colorado any way..

The elk are your pets?