Hunting Arrow Development

dlee56

I am shooting long 50# Uukha Saiga limbs on a 19" Satori riser at a 28.75" DL.

I'm looking to start developing my hunting arrow for this fall, any recommendations on where I should start as far as spine, overall weight, point weight, etc? Obviously going to fine tune the arrow to my bow (bare shaft/paper tuning), I just need somewhere to start.

GLB

For hunting arrows I like my total weight to be between 550-600 grains. I like to use 250-300 total up front. I then find the arrow with the grains per inch that will get me there in the spine I need.

you are probably in between 500 and 400 spine. I would try 400 spine but it would depend on what you want up front total weight.

That‘s based off that you are pulling 50# at your DL. Check that first.

Last edited:

Beendare

I use an arrow like GLBs too at 50#:
30” DL, Centershot 340’s, 31.5” arrow with 225gr up front

I wouldnt Hesitate to use 400s with less tip weight and less overall arrow weight, but it will make your bow just a little bit louder.

I think a guy is fine anywhere from 450gr -700gr as those 2 blade heads are so efficient, they turn a fairly light arrow into a killing machine .

It really depending on How you prioritize trajectory over arrow performance.

edit: I just got back from the range shooting both a light arrow in a 40 pound bow and a heavier Arrow in my 50# hunting bow.

That 360 gr arrow Is too noisy to hunt with. Plus, the wind drift on that arrow was considerable. I knew it would be bad but didn’t think that it would be 10 inches at 40 yards in a 10 to 15 mile an hour crosswind. My 585gr arrows drifted half as much as the light arrows with identical 4” feathers.

Personally, i wouldnt go below about 480gr with my 50# recurve. As a sidenote I wouldn’t have thought that my Covid shot 2 days ago would affect my bow arm as much as it did.

Last edited:

TaterTot

I'm running very similar to the above posters. I bumped up my draw weight this year to somewhere in the 60 to 63lb area so I will be building a new arrow that puts me in the 700gr area.

Felix40

I would start with a heavy 400 spine and some 150 and 200 grain points. Bare shaft tune and see which point weight gives you a more appropriate finished arrow length. I’m betting the 200s will work out better. With an arrow thats 9gpi that should give you a finished arrow weight around 500 grains. I think that’s a good starting point but heavier wouldn’t be bad either

NoRush24

With all my 50# bows I’ve started with a full length 350 spine and about 250-300 upfront depending on the bow and just cut back till they’re flying perfect.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

With all my 50# bows I’ve started with a full length 350 spine and about 250-300 upfront depending on the bow and just cut back till they’re flying perfect.
Do you start off with a 350 shaft you like and then test it with 250-300 up front to get it close before cutting it back? or is the 350 stiff enough that you can chose your shaft and point weight and then fully tune it by cutting it down?

NoRush24

In my experience 350 has been stiff enough that I don’t worry too much. I do also generally got melt everything especially starting a new tune if I’m not sure. But mostly for me Easton axis and black eagle rampages 350 have all worked well. Rampages seem to spine a little weaker. Just my experience.