Hunting arrow for my wife

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my wife a bow this year, and she's really enjoyed it, even has been talking of deer hunting with me this year!

She's hoping to work up to 50 lbs, and has a 26.5" DL. Shooting an Elite Ember. Looking for arrow/head recommendations for her, as I've never dealt with anything at that weight/speed.

Zac

WKR
You kind of want to treat it similar to a trad bow. Heavy for draw weight arrow with COC 2 blade. Snider was talking about his wife's setup. I think she's in the low 400s and shooting around 240 fps with the Avail. She's had great penetration with the Ironwill Wide and standard heads.

nphunter

WKR
I have my wife and son both shooting arrows right around 450grs. They are 40lbs ish and are using a COC head, either a Kudu or IW S100.

Treating it like a trad bow setup sounds right to me. Any good heavy gpi arrow should work. I’m a big fan of Easton Axis 5mm for my trad bows.

I'm assuming your talking about eastern Whitetail from your handle. They aren't hard to kill. I wouldn't be worried about working her up to 50#, leave her in the mid 40's where she is plenty comfortable. More important to have accuracy than energy in my opinion, for a sub 200# thin skinned animal. Not going to hurt having a heavy arrow, these eastern woods your typically looking at 35-40 yards max. I wouldn't get carried away with the weight tho, 400 grains would be plenty. Use a quality broadhead. I'd look for cut on contact over mechanical.

Looks like everyone is giving you pretty good scoop. Check out the ranch ferry for high FOC youth bow set up. He's a hoot!

406unltd

WKR
420-450
Single bevel/coc
And push it as fast as they can handle shooting accurately.

OP
V

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions and info.

My original thought was to stick with Easton Axis and maybe a Magnus head. Might not be too bad.

Correct on the Eastern Whitetail. Probably have a 30 yard limit. Luckily, we have access to a couple places where there’s plenty of opportunity on does.

Thanks for the suggestions and info.

My original thought was to stick with Easton Axis and maybe a Magnus head. Might not be too bad.

Correct on the Eastern Whitetail. Probably have a 30 yard limit. Luckily, we have access to a couple places where there’s plenty of opportunity on does.

Hard to beat that Magnus warranty for the price.

Clean up those does. Wish more would hammer on them.

Good luck.

OP
V

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
We are meat hunters first and foremost. We enjoy our doe tags, in both hunting and eating.

I used to use the Magnus heads and they did very well for me. I never used the warranty though, I couldn’t make myself send in a used head that was damaged. Seems kinda petty to me...to each his own though.

dkime

WKR
58b11e97958093d4c87b0baf7073b558.jpg

FWIW this was her setup last year 52#/26.5” 460gr Day Six 400 with SS outsert and 100gr Evo. This was the entrance on a whitetail doe, arrow didn’t think twice about slowing down. Heavy and short distance have been my rule of thumb for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry so much about getting her to 50 lbs, if she is uncomfortable with that weight. 45 lbs is plenty.
my wife has killed a few midwest whitetails now with her old Bear Cruzer, set at 42 lbs, 27.5 draw length. All three have been pass throughs with short blood trails. Arrow set up was Victory Vap, and 50 gn inserts. for a TAW around 410gn.
Biggest thing is broadhead selection. Use a good fixed blade head. She has used the Slick Trick Magnum and Tooth of the Arrow XL.

Last edited:

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd have her shoot the heaviest arrow that has a decent trajectory for the range she will shoot. That was about 425-450 grains for my sons when they shot 50 lbs. A very sharp cut on contact 2 blade or 2 blade with bleeders with good edge retention will greatly improve penetration over most heads. My newphew blew through a whitetail and stuck the arrow in the ground shooting 42 lbs at 30 yards with the Iron Will v100 last year.

j13jones

FNG
My wife shoots about 45lbs with a 26" draw and has had luck with deer and pigs with a 350-400 grain arrow with a good cut on contact head. She's only shooting about 220fps but has had many pass throughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58b11e97958093d4c87b0baf7073b558.jpg

FWIW this was her setup last year 52#/26.5” 460gr Day Six 400 with SS outsert and 100gr Evo. This was the entrance on a whitetail doe, arrow didn’t think twice about slowing down. Heavy and short distance have been my rule of thumb for her.

Looks like the perfect combo of distance, weight and Broadhead for a lower velocity arrow. A online friend who just started a online Blog thinks highly of them. He may have been the first to take an Elk with one.

Stalker69

WKR
Those day six heads look nice, stainless also. No more chapstick and 15.00 less a pack. I may try a package out.