Hunting Big Mule Deer - a Rokslide.com original film

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t want to speak for Robby but here’s an article he did on the scope subject.
https://www.rokslide.com/hash-marks-or-turrets-a-mule-deer-hunter-s-perspective/

We were glassing as we went along with eyes looking. Looking first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Jordan

Yes, @Fatcamp I'm still running capped turrets (per the article @Jordan Budd posted.)

I haven't seen the need yet to dial for the way I hunt, but Fuzzy might change my mind some day. That scope is the @Vortex Optics Light Hunter 2-10x40 with the hash mark system. I reviewed it here:

On that 270 WSM, I can get to about 690 with the last hash mark. I've never killed a buck over about 460 yards (or even shot at one) so with my current set-up, it's doing all I need. There was one Colorado buck in 1996 that I could have killed had a good hash mark system existed for the working-stiff back then, but he too was around 450. Since then (23 years), I've always tried and been able to get closer.

For still-hunting, it depends on how much cover I'm in. If visibility is less than about 75 yards, the human eye is great, but if I'm in broken cover with more visibility, then I'm using the binos more. Seems like my eyes pick them up before my binos but you do need both.

Thanks for watching man

Fatcamp

WKR
That's good stuff there.

The idea of getting in there with them is really interesting. Slowly moving and glassing as I go is becoming my preferred method of hunting.

I was aware of that article but had figured by now you had jumped on the turret train. Was not aware of that model Razor. Looks like it is discontinued like they did with the Viper. Last year I was able to find and mount a brand new Viper on a Stevens 200 I had rebarreled to 6.5 after reading your rational for using fixed turret scopes. Now I'm hunting for a solution to my Tikka. It currently wears an SWFA 3-9 which is an amazing scope, I just don't feel the need for the extra weight and bulk.

Do you feel the Razor is enough of an improvement over the Viper to justify it's added cost? The current 3-9 will go on my wife's new Tikka as she does prefer to dial.

Be kinda nice to have identical scopes on both my rifles.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's good stuff there.

The idea of getting in there with them is really interesting. Slowly moving and glassing as I go is becoming my preferred method of hunting.

I was aware of that article but had figured by now you had jumped on the turret train. Was not aware of that model Razor. Looks like it is discontinued like they did with the Viper. Last year I was able to find and mount a brand new Viper on a Stevens 200 I had rebarreled to 6.5 after reading your rational for using fixed turret scopes. Now I'm hunting for a solution to my Tikka. It currently wears an SWFA 3-9 which is an amazing scope, I just don't feel the need for the extra weight and bulk.

Do you feel the Razor is enough of an improvement over the Viper to justify it's added cost? The current 3-9 will go on my wife's new Tikka as she does prefer to dial.

Be kinda nice to have identical scopes on both my rifles.

I did notice that the higher powers in that the razor was way better than the Viper. But if that price difference is a pinch. I think for normal hunting the Viper is fine.
I hunted two full seasons with the Viper and was pretty happy with it. When I got a chance to run the razor I moved on.

And major bummer if they are not offering that scope anymore in the 2 to 10. I love that scope. I see the 1.5 to 8 is still on their website. I have that one on my muzzleloader and it’s great too.

Not sure why they would discontinue that, maybe it’s because it’s a 1 inch tube. I just have such a hard time moving to all of these bigger and heavier scopes when I’ve been hunting with these light ones for all these years. I just can’t seem to catch the long range bug to justify more weight and bulk. Pretty much my life story, I’m about a decade behind the world.

Last edited:

68Plexi

WKR
Thanks for putting this out. Well worth the watch!

Fatcamp

WKR
I did notice that the higher powers in that the razor was way better than the Viper. But if that price difference is a pinch. I think for normal hunting the Viper is fine.
I hunted two full seasons with the Viper and was pretty happy with it. When I got a chance to run the razor I moved on.

And major bummer if they are not offering that scope anymore in the 2 to 10. I love that scope. I see the 1.5 to 8 is still on their website. I have that one on my muzzleloader and it’s great too.

Not sure why they would discontinue that, maybe it’s because it’s a 1 inch tube. I just have such a hard time moving to all of these bigger and heavier scopes when I’ve been hunting with these light ones for all these years. I just can’t seem to catch the long range bug to justify more weight and bulk. Pretty much my life story, I’m about a decade behind the world.

Ya, I just am not digging the whole long range thing. Out to 500 I don't know that dialing is required and past that very few people should be shooting at game. The YouTube superstars have convinced everyone that missing and wounding deer at long distances is "just hunting." Sickening really to see the fans of these folks defending their bad habits as normal behavior. By all means, if you can make the shot take it, but if you are averaging 1 kill shot for every 4 attempts you suck.

Just today new scopes announced here by Leica. All huge scopes. Suppose that's what people want.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards going back to a VX-3 with a B&C reticle. Maybe even the 36mm model.

ETA: Looks like Leupold discontinued the B&C reticle. LOL

Bunkin

FNG
Ya, I just am not digging the whole long range thing. Out to 500 I don't know that dialing is required and past that very few people should be shooting at game. The YouTube superstars have convinced everyone that missing and wounding deer at long distances is "just hunting." Sickening really to see the fans of these folks defending their bad habits as normal behavior. By all means, if you can make the shot take it, but if you are averaging 1 kill shot for every 4 attempts you suck.

Just today new scopes announced here by Leica. All huge scopes. Suppose that's what people want.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards going back to a VX-3 with a B&C reticle. Maybe even the 36mm model.

ETA: Looks like Leupold discontinued the B&C reticle. LOL

Take a look at the Leopold Mk 5 with the C3 turrets. Windage is capped, top has a manual release to spin, 28oz for the 3-18 variety and can be had new for 1450 and a little less used. TMR reticle would do what your looking for. Glass quality is great.

I think there is a write up on them in the optics section of the board here.