robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

As promised, the GE article I paired up with goHunt.com to do. Hope it helps
How to find big mule deer areas using Google Earth | goHUNT

Ranger619

WKR
I just finished reading the book for a second time. I think I got more out of it this time. Now to put it to good use in Idaho on Monday.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
BOHNTR,
totally honored that you'd take the time to read it. Thank you very much!

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished the book over the weekend! It was a great read and had lots of good info in it. Coming from New England it was great reading the still hunting and tracking sections (and see the Benoit name mentioned in a Mule Deer book)as that is how we do our hunting here during gun season. I still have a lot of out west noob questions, but definitely have more answers now than before I read the book.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
targetpanic.
thanks for the read and great to hear from a New Englander. I don't think you could mention tracking deer, any deer, without mentioning the Benoits.

Rokslide members love newbie questions so feel free to post them up and we'll do our best to help you.

I read this book (Purchased after listening to your podcast with EXO) after Eastman's Mule Deer Tactics and Public Land Mulies by David Long and I loved it. I think the other two were a great build up to your book which I think covers tactics and hunting styles in further detail than the other two. Was great to read them in the order I did. Thanks Robby and good luck in the field.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Corey! I too read those books before I wrote this one and recognized that David and Mike had thoroughly covered high country hunting, so I tried to make sure I covered all the other places I've hunted big mule deer. I love high country hunting but in recent years I think a lot of it has declined, and there's some really big bucks that live in other zones for sure. Glad it was helpful to you.

This is the best book I have read on hunting. I bought it on Amazon Kindle for my Ipad. I wish that I would have bought the hardcopy of it now. Especially since it brought me to this awesome site. Thanks Robby!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
jlrichesin
well thank you very much! And welcome to Rokslide. Hope to hear more from you.

Robby,
I added a review to amazon as well. Thanks for all the great information in this book and again, thank you for referencing this site as now I am addicted to this. This site has replaced facebook time killer. :)

Josh

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Josh. The Amazon reviews really help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Read the book and loved it. I've also started on Dwight Schuh's book... Very different but also a fascinating read. Thanks to Robby for the suggestion.

A lot of the info in these books is pretty common sense stuff... IF you're an experienced western hunter! The hard part is Executing the one important piece of advice from both of these experienced guys... GO SLOW! If you pay attention, you'll find that both of these guys have had their own problems, at times, in executing the very advice that they give, which speaks to how difficult it can be to MAKE YOURSELF SLOW DOWN!

Zach970

FNG
Couldn't put it down!

Loved your book Robby. I could not put it down (and I don't read haha).

Whole reason I joined Rokslide was because of this book! Thanks again Robby for taking the time to share your experiences, and to pass on what you have learned to the rest of us with the same passion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.