Hunting black tail deer in the kalmiopsis wilderness area

La43!

FNG
I am looking to go hunting for Black tail deer in the Kalmiopsis wilderness area in 2022 and I am out of state so I’m doing as much scouting as I can from google earth and onX hunt I am just wondering if there is good deer hunting there? I am looking at the upper Chetco river area. Is there anyone that has hunted that area that can give some advice I’m not asking for a secret spot or anyones hunny hole just if this is a good starting point. I have not hunted Black tail deer but from what I have read it sounds a lot like hunting Couse deer lots of glass time.

OP
La43!

La43!

FNG
I am looking to go hunting for Black tail deer in the Kalmiopsis wilderness area in 2022 and I am out of state so I’m doing as much scouting as I can from google earth and onX hunt I am just wondering if there is good deer hunting there? I am looking at the upper Chetco river area. Is there anyone that has hunted that area that can give some advice I’m not asking for a secret spot or anyones hunny hole just if this is a good starting point. I have not hunted Black tail deer but from what I have read it sounds a lot like hunting Couse deer lots of glass time. If any of you have questions on central Utah unit I live close by and I amwilling to help out where ever I can I have also hunted unit 74 in Colorado for deer the Steens mountain for sheep and the Malhur river unit for deer and elk in Oregon and Couse in Arizona.

mdbrown

FNG
I just joined here
pm me in about a week
I grew in in grants pass. Moved from there in 94 n
so I have old information, better than none i guess 😊

OP
La43!

La43!

FNG
I just joined here
pm me in about a week
I grew in in grants pass. Moved from there in 94 n
so I have old information, better than none i guess 😊
So I’m looking to hunt for deer and scout for elk I’ve got points and should be able to draw an Elk tag in 2023 or 4. I thought hunting on the west border of burn in the wilderness area by Salamander Lake and north along that ridge. I don’t know if you have hunted that area but I am willing to listen to what you know about the unit.

FNG
So I’m looking to hunt for deer and scout for elk I’ve got points and should be able to draw an Elk tag in 2023 or 4. I thought hunting on the west border of burn in the wilderness area by Salamander Lake and north along that ridge. I don’t know if you have hunted that area but I am willing to listen to what you know about the unit.
I've been in that exact area recently, I'd be happy to give you a run down on what to expect. Hit me up

OP
La43!

La43!

FNG
I've been in that exact area recently, I'd be happy to give you a run down on what to expect. Hit me up
Is there any elk in that area? I talked with the biologist for that area and he said that they had transplanted elk into that area a few years ago and that he had not been able to make it back to see how they were doing

FNG
I've never seen elk back there. The only transplant I know of in that area was after the 2002 Biscuit fire. That country is very steep and rocky, good for spot and stalk for deer but I wouldn't pack in there for elk. In this unit the elk numbers are higher towards the coast. The problem is most of it is private timber land that doesn't allow much access if any at all.

I live and hunt blacktail in the same area, I can give you a couple ideas/areas. Atleast what works for me on the Illinois valley side. Pics are from 2020, 2021 bucks in that Zone. Well worth the effort

Attachments

• 20220123_181055.jpg
    20220123_181055.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220123_181134.jpg
    20220123_181134.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 62
OP
La43!

La43!

FNG
I live and hunt blacktail in the same area, I can give you a couple ideas/areas. Atleast what works for me on the Illinois valley side. Pics are from 2020, 2021 bucks in that Zone. Well worth the effort
So you don’t think this area would be good for hunting Elk I have got 5 Elk point and would like to use them up in the next few years. I am planning on coming to that area to hunt deer this year unless I happen to get lucky enough to draw an unexpected tag somewhere else. I have two boys that just moved to Bend and would like to try hunting with me down there this year.

So you don’t think this area would be good for hunting Elk I have got 5 Elk point and would like to use them up in the next few years. I am planning on coming to that area to hunt deer this year unless I happen to get lucky enough to draw an unexpected tag somewhere else. I have two boys that just moved to Bend and would like to try hunting with me down there this year.
I hunt a little north in the powers unit for elk. There are elk in the kalmiopsis but they are scattered throughout the Briggs valley area. Hard hunting elk unless you get north of the rogue river. The elk herds improve tremendously