Hunting bow sight

dguns18

FNG
Hello,

Looking at picking up a new sight for my hunting bow. Bow would be used to hunt Whitetail in WI, and mule deer out west. Currently have a cheap Apex slider sight, but its not robust enough for hunting and I don't trust it.
Would like to have a slider-ish function, and preferably 2-3 pins in the housing to leave alone for whitetail hunting.

Was looking at the Black Gold Ascent Whitetail, but wanted to see what else was out there that is recommended.

Setup is a Bowtech BTX 31 with drop-away rest, and shooting at 520gr arrow 272fps.

Would like to stay around or below $200.

Thanks

You might like the Spot High Fast Eddie double pin. It's one of my favorite hunting sights. You have a second aiming reference without moving the sight and yet still have a clear sight picture.

I have a Black Gold Ascent Verdict 3 pin that is a really nice sight but I am just a better shooter with a single vertical post.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
Ive got a new MBG Ascent in the classifieds. I have two other bows with the Pro model sight. I like like a slider for extended range practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
D

dguns18

FNG
You might like the Spot High Fast Eddie double pin. It's one of my favorite hunting sights. You have a second aiming reference without moving the sight and yet still have a clear sight picture.

I have a Black Gold Ascent Verdict 3 pin that is a really nice sight but I am just a better shooter with a single vertical post.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I've never tried the single vertical pin, but I will definitely look into it!

OP
D

dguns18

FNG
Ive got a new MBG Ascent in the classifieds. I have two other bows with the Pro model sight. I like like a slider for extended range practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I also like the slider for longer range practice.

macdaddy

FNG
MBG ascent is a great sight, can’t go wrong with it. I like the Option sight better. The MBG slider moves the entire housing, the option only moves the rover pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For hunting I would definitely go with a mgb 3 pin slider. 3 pins is definitely an advantage over a single pin and it doesn't take up your whole sight picture like a 5 and 7 pin sight does. And the slider still allows you to shoot farther distances more precisely than a fixed pin would

I run a 4 pin spot hogg tommy hogg and find it works great for both whitetail/western hunting.

Citrusdude

Lil-Rokslider
I believe in buy once, cry once. It may not be in your price range, but I agree that the Option sight is the way to go. Fixed pins for standard distances which swing away for a single pin sight that you use various range stickers to match your setup. Very stout and well made.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I would get a CBE Engage Hybrid or an Axcel Accutouch carbon pro three pin if you are trying to buy once cry once. To me it's hard to find a quality 3 pin slider for $200 or less. Currently I have a two pin fast eddie the only problem I ran into with them out west was not having dedicated pins. In the heat of the moment you sometime forget where the second pin is because it moves yardages when you move the slider. In this case I missed a bull because of it (was low by a few inches). Now for treestand hunting they are wonderful.

jmez

WKR
The head won't stay put even when locked down. It will move every time you carry the bow on a pack. It will move hunting in the back country carrying the bow in hand. Even when tree stand hunting, I would check to make sure it is still at the home position every time you get in the stand.

I tightened mine several times just like the instructions said and it still moved. I sent it back to Axcel and they rebuilt the track and locking mechanism. It still moved. If you unlock an Axcel and just lightly tap on the sight body the entire head will drop out.

Great sight, infinite adjustibility. Not a back country sight.

Trial153

WKR
The only two sight brands that been tough enough for me have been Black Gold and Spot Hogg.....zI would bow with a MGB of some sort of configuration. I have three of them currently

I hunt eastern whitetails and Western elk/mule deer about equally as much. I have a Spott Hog Fast Eddier slider with 3 pins that I use as 20, 30, 40. The bottom pin is what I dial for a shot over 40 yds. It has worked very well for me. The sight is extremely durable, but it is bulky and relatively heavy.

KHNC

WKR
I have two Option 6 sights! Best setup in my opinion for what you are after. Check classifieds here and on Archery talk to find a used one possibly. Very well made and fits the bill perfectly!