Hunting buddies in Los Angeles, CA

Staubah

FNG
Hey everyone, I am a new hunter. I went with my brother-in-law 1 time a few years ago. I have been a shooter for a lot of years, but never got into the rifle side of things. I'm on the hunt to get my own gear (I borrowed my brother's spare gear) Just looking for another person or persons that wouldn't mind joining me in my hunting journey. Even if it's just helping find quality gear, talk equipment, range time.

Thanks for your time.

Azone

WKR
Hey everyone, I am a new hunter. I went with my brother-in-law 1 time a few years ago. I have been a shooter for a lot of years, but never got into the rifle side of things. I'm on the hunt to get my own gear (I borrowed my brother's spare gear) Just looking for another person or persons that wouldn't mind joining me in my hunting journey. Even if it's just helping find quality gear, talk equipment, range time.

Thanks for your time.
What kind of hunting is it that interests you the most?

OP
Staubah

Staubah

FNG
What kind of hunting is it that interests you the most?
Right now, I am working toward deer/elk. But, to be honest, I am not opposed to any of it. I think it would be nice for my family to sit down for a Thanksgiving dinner with a turkey I got out in the wild.

But, right now, I focusing my efforts more on big game, deer specifically.

I kind of got spoiled with my brother-in-law. We were on his land and we were able to drive a gator right down to the buck so we didn't have to pack it our, or do any of the skinning out in the field. So I'm trying to keep more of a mindset of I've never done it.

OP
Staubah

Staubah

FNG
I’m up the coast by pismo beach, if you ever plan on coming up this way I’m usually down to hike around for deer, quail, etc…
Thanks, I am hoping to find some time to when my work schedule opens up to get out and start doing some scouting. I hike quite a bit, but hiking a designated trail in a NF is a little different I imagine.

Thanks, I am hoping to find some time to when my work schedule opens up to get out and start doing some scouting. I hike quite a bit, but hiking a designated trail in a NF is a little different I imagine.
Yeah, most of my buddies hunt from side by sides. It’s fun once in awhile but I prefer to get out and hike. The closest to la I’ve deer hunted is d13, otc tag which is nice If you don’t have points and plenty of public land. You can also get an otc bear tag for there too which might be good to have if the opportunity happens. I’m not familiar with the zones south of there.

OP
Staubah

Staubah

FNG
Yeah, most of my buddies hunt from side by sides. It’s fun once in awhile but I prefer to get out and hike. The closest to la I’ve deer hunted is d13, otc tag which is nice If you don’t have points and plenty of public land. You can also get an otc bear tag for there too which might be good to have if the opportunity happens. I’m not familiar with the zones south of there.
I might have to try for that next year. I used to go up there with my grandfather, it's where I learned to shoot. Plenty of spots to get our and just do some walking and see what's what.

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys, I am local to Los Angeles Area, I am new to land hunting been an aggressive spearfishermen. Let me know if interested in meeting up, I am willing to drive up to Morro Bay down to San Diego. I have all my hunting gear about 75% locked in.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm most certainly in your area, Lakewood, but I don't hunt Cal. anymore, haven't for about ten years. I go to AZ. Wis. NM and Indiana. I found that here in Cal. if you don't have access to private property or belong to a hunting club such as MCC your chances for success are greatly reduced. That's not to say, with hard work scouting you won't be successful, it's just that you will be sharing the forest with everyone and their brother. I have never hunted Cal. much above the King city but even then I was only successful because I had access to private property, with a guide, That was for Turkey and pig. You may want to check out Fort Hunter Ligget. It can be a challenge to get the particular area you want for what ever you want to hunt. I put in for an area which had a fairly good Turkey population and I was assigned an area which pretty much held only pig and some deer. That was years ago so, things may have changed now. They get a new base commander every year and he says which areas will or won't be open at any given time. If they are having training drills, which they do a lot, that limits the areas which will be open. You can also check out MCC, My Country club down in inland San Diego area. It is a private club which has real good success for deer and Turkey. they also have good quail hunting and access to good fishing. they offer different yearly packages which start at $2000/year, which give you one deer and two turkeys, along with, as I mentioned quail and fishing. They have camp sites which I'm sure you have to reserve weilll in advance. Best of lucky in your hunting endeavors.